Shihtzu with allergies Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Mags49, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Mags49

Mags49 New Member

Name:
    Margaret

Shihtzu with allergies

Hi everyone. I own a shihtzu who’s just turned six and she has a lot of allergies. We got her when she was 18 months old as she was unwanted. She was in poor condition, underweight and with infected anal glands. Six months later after finding she is allergic to grain she was doing well. Happy little dog, good with other dogs and people but is allergic to quite a lot. On the vets instruction she is on piriton once a day from March to September for pollen allergy. We wipe her paws when she has been for a walk but she still gets ear infections and wax. We have just been back to the vet and are back on ear cleaner and drops for seven days. Can anyone suggest something we should be doing that we’re not.
    Thanks for reading, sorry it’s so long
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Allergies are a nightmare to cope with. The only thing I'd suggest is to clean her ears as well as her paws after her walks. It may help a little
  4. Mags49

Mags49 New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    Thanks Chris ,should have said we do her ears twice a week with the ear cleaner. The vet wants to put her on permanent antihistamines but I’m not too happy with them. We tried a high dose for fourteen days last time and they upset her stomach. Just have to wait for autumn, she settles down a bit later in the year.