Showing a neutered dog Showing

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GsdSlave, Feb 17, 2016.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Azz likes this.

Showing a neutered dog

Would you show a neutered dog? At KC open/championship shows.

Or do you think it is a waste of time/money.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes I would still show even if my neutered dog couldn't father puppies.

Just because your dog is a KC champion doesn't mean he as the ideal temperament to breed with.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No your wasting your money !!

There is no rule to say you can't, but it would take a very brave judge to place a nuetered dog over an entire one !
  5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I personally wouldn't, no. But I do know of someone who shows her neutered male. Can't be sure on how well they've done, but one judge did remark to her once it was a shame he was neutered as he was a fine specimen!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and 6JRT's like this.
    Do you just mean a male?
    Merry is neutered, and I am going to show her in some Veteran and KCGC classes this year. Of course, she does have registered progeny, and there isn't a visible difference with a bitch. The people we met last year seemed really pleased to see her out again. Yes, I am probably wasting money, but the whole show scene is about more than just winning. Helping to run shows has no monetary return either.
    Having said that, I don't think I would show a neutered male dog in breed classes, but it is quite common in canine activity sports.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think with a female it's different , no one can see it's been done, but a male is obvious...
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    No I meant both but as @Jackie it’s easier to spot on a male,( unless it had a vasectomy ) the one thing that might give it away in bitches is the coat change in some breeds.
    The argument used is that showing is all part of trying to produce the perfect breed specimen, and the best dogs are intended to be bred from, therefore it defeats the object if a dog is neutered.
    I personally wouldn’t show a neutered male, If my dog was good enough id like to be in the running for a win or placing.
    But what about those myself included who enjoy showing but don’t want to breed are we not just as detrimental to the futurity’ of the breed as those who neuter?
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    @GsdSlave It could be argued that by exhibiting, you are still promoting the bloodlines behind your dogs, even if you are not doing the actual breeding yourself. It is valuable to be able to see what a particular dog is throwing - that is one way that people decide on their choice of stud dog. Lots of beautiful, healthy males get little or no stud work anyway, maybe because they belong to a numerically small breed, or just because a certain line or type is fashionable during the period that they are in the ring.
    For the majority of exhibitors, showing is a hobby, and therefore serves a social purpose. It is where we watch the judging, exchange opinions, and discuss matters which are important in the dog world. Unless you are a regular show worker, without the presence of a dog by your side I suspect that you would remain invisible for quite a long time.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Showing is not cheap added fuel cost and car parking you could spend up to £50/60 a show more if you have more than one dog, if you fall into the above category ( which I do) then you might take being overlooked time and again on the chin, but my guess would be you would soon get very disappointed and realise your wasting time and money.

The show scene is primary based on evaluating breeding stock, if a dog lacks the ability it will be overlooked.

The only exception I can see is a dog that is already known and gained numerous CC's and has been castrated for medical reasons, but even then you have the younger ones chasing their heels.

Agree about coated bitches, but on the whole you could get away with it more .
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    What if your intact male dog was winning everytime he went into the ring, then when you decide to let him father pups, a genetic underline illness pops up do you.
    A- breed with him anyway as he's a champion
    B- continue showing him and have him neutered to prevent accidentally mating
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    One would hope you have tested for any genetic health issues before you use him/ her, if no tests available you can't have a crystal ball

There are plenty of champions that don't get used.

Why not continue showing him, and why would he have an accidental mating, if the breeder is responsible they won't have accidents .
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    the basis of the show world is to evaluate breeding stock, it does not mean EVER dog that is shown HAS to be bred from !
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    There was article in my local free paper in September last year, about a 2 1/2 year old male poodle that's been winning KC dog shows, owners decided to put him up to stud, vet as told them he as genetic illness(shaking of head) Owners contacted breeder they got him from only to be told both mum & dad as the genetic illness & it didn't bother them at all, the genetic illness only started to show once the male dog had reached 30 months old (2 1/2 years old)
    Owners have had him neutered & are still showing him, he as won since being neutered (owners have female poodle) as dog was only shaking his head occasionally they thought it was something in ear, never realizing it was a genetic illness (can't remember what the vet said genetic shaking of head was called)

Headline in paper was "Neutered dog wins best in breed" then the full story with pictures of dog winning best in breed.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Can you find the link to that article it would be interesting to read
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    @Jackie I see if I still have paper & scan it for you.
  17. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I don't have the option to show a neutered male, but I probably wouldn't. I might, but I typically don't neuter, so I would likely not be in the position.

I will show a dog that wins, regardless of if they will be bred or not, but they are kept intact. I know other people who have finished dogs, then altered them after too.

Neither
    I would continue to show them, but keep them intact. Even if it was allowed for me to show a neutered dog I would still keep them intact.

Some health issues unfortunately don't show up until later, without genetic screening it can make breeding hard.
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Interesting, head shaking is a problem in spider ball pythons and subsequent morphs. It doesn't seem to cause problems with quality of life. Breeding reptiles is different than breeding dogs of course, things are done very differently. I did not know about such a problem in poodles though. Hopefully they will find a genetic test. If a dog is bred something like this could show up after they have already sired pups.