sick doggie General Chat

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by lee burton, Jul 28, 2017.

1. lee burton

lee burton New Member

Name:
    lee

sick doggie

hello my name is Lee and I own 2 Pekingese/Bolognese bitches, they are sisters two years apart and we got them from a very nice lady, everything has been great but lately the younger one has been ill and I am starting to get very worried about her.
    She is usually very excitable - extremely hungry and very energetic, but over the last couple of months she's become quite ill, she's still always hungry but seems to be coughing a lot, a dry hacking goose like sounding cough, eventually but not always this ends in her being sick, not usually food stuff (chappie) but foam with traces of food sometimes so rich it looks like shaving cream, although not the same color -
    She's miserable and is loosing (as we all are at the moment) sleep, because of the coughing and restlessness - we have taken her to the vets a few times now , its the cliff vets in Lewes - they have taken a blood sample, and given her medication for pancreatitis which we've adhered to religiously, she picked up for the next two days but then went down hill, we've taken her back three times now and said she still has the same symptoms and I wasn't happy as although I'd done £600 she was exactly the same as when we first brought her in, this time they kept her in for the day and did a second x-ray and an endoscopic search of her throat and airways - he said that her lungs were spotless, her tummy was fine and that she had no obstructions no cancers or anything sinister - but that her windpipe was badly inflamed and he said she had tracheobronchitis, he gave us more meds which again we've adhered to religiously,
    she's now run the course - I'm a grand in - and she is no better -
    She's still coughing and vomiting foam or food and is exhausted - she has been wormed ( panacur paste in the mouth and advocate on her back) but now she is losing weight please help I'm at my wits end, I phoned the vet on Wednesday morning to speak to mark the owner of the vets and he's still not rang me back so I gotta take her in tomorrow
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Has the vet recommended a change in diet?

There are low fat foods designed for dogs with pancreatitis that, in my limited experience, can help.
  4. lee burton

lee burton New Member

Name:
    lee
    we feed both our dogs with chappie - the vets recommended that we use this - I told them we already do, we took lottie back to the vets this morning with a temperature, she had us all up all night ( which we don't care about as she is member of this family ) coughing and being sick and they have told us they are gonna keep her in for a couple of days
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I do hope Lottie will be OK and that the vets find out what is wrong with her.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  7. lee burton

lee burton New Member

Name:
    lee
    hello as I said earlier she had an endoscopic search of her respiratory system and it was all clear her lungs are clear
  8. lee burton

lee burton New Member

Name:
    lee
    Malka likes this.
    well we collected our little sausage last night and she had a very quiet and uneventful night which of course was great - a few light coughs but no foam or vomit, she was up bright and early this morning and has so far had three wees and one missive poo which looked perfect she's had her breakfast loaded with meds and now shes asleep -- fingers crossed
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm glad that she is more comfortable. Has the vet discovered what was causing the problem - or was it due to her pancreatitis?
  10. lee burton

lee burton New Member

Name:
    lee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    HELLO sorry been so long been busy with lottie, well where can I start - rubbish vets I'm afraid, found out that they hadn't given me one of the drugs she needed cos they were out of stock, they prescribed it and charged me but never gave it to me, 9 days she was in real trouble and the drug they didn't give me was one directly used for tackling acute bronchitis in dogs - I know right - go figure - and as many times as I had told them that whenever she was really really bad to the point I had to take her to stay in their hospital - that when we picked her back up after spending time there she was a lot calmer - her temp had come right down and the coughing and vomiting had really slowed down to almost a stop - once we had her home 1 1/2 days later she was back in trouble, I said time and time again that they MUST be giving her something there that they had not given us - they would believe me ! We picked her up satd pm and said if she goes down hill Sunday pm - / Monday am then there is definitely a link to what they are giving her in hospital and what they are not giving us to take home and guess what-
    After raising y voice anxiously ( NOT aggressively no swearing or threats) at a female vet I finally FINALLY found out that they were giving her a drug called claveseptin which contains amoxicillin which has had a very dramatic effect on Lottie - Also and more annoyingly we found out that as I said earlier they hadn't given us any corvental d capsuals - hopeless -
    I went on Monday night to get the claveseptin and was given the corvental d caps - I went to pay and the nurse said oh wait these have been paid for, I said they cant have been I've only just got here - no she said these were paid for on the 20th july, THE MISSING CORVENTAL D CAPS ------ except I didn't know they were missing so she never got them for 9 days -
    ANY WAY
    Lottie has now got a perfect temperature, is coughing about 98% less - is holding her food down 98% and sleeping 100% more and is very steadily gaining weight so as I said a very dramatic effect.
    Some vets are there just to print money off the backs of worried pet owners - it makes me angry
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    I'm glad that Lottie is on the mend, but how annoying, there really is no excuse for them not giving you the correct drugs. The practice that I use usually gets drug orders into stock by the following day. I really don't like causing trouble, but you could have lost your dog. I think I might be inclined to write a letter of complaint to the head of the practice.
    Thanks for the update Lee, I hope she continues to improve and the crisis is over.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is really good to hear that Lottie is a lot better and hope she continues recovering well, but how could the vets not give you the correct medication for her and yet charge you for it? My vet only carries basic medication - he does not sell food either - but like Carole's Vet anything else is ordered in and there the next day. But then I have the most wonderful Vet in the world and if he does have to give basic medication he is the one who counts it out, hands it over and charges for it. And makes sure that you know exactly what it is, what it is for, and when to give it.

I sometimes wonder whether some surgeries treat pets without insurance as if their owners will just pay out whatever they ask without querying? I had no pet insurance [not available here] but my Vet has always treated his patients equally.

Poor little Lottie - I do not think she has been treated well. Nor you, Lee. Can you not find a decent Vet in your area?