skin rashes General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Feb 22, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Azz likes this.

skin rashes

hi back again , very stressed out as blue got an infection a couple of weeks ago I thought because of his harnest which under his arms came up with spots that were red and would pus , I took him to the vets and they put him on antibiotics and steroid cream. blue has been fine for about 3 weeks now and 2 nights ago I was giving him belly rubs and I noticed that his white skin on his chest was very red looking I thought meby its just his skin because he has a white chest but now he is got a lot of scabs on his chest and his arms are quite red again and his legs , I have not been letting him itch his cuts incase he makes them worse . I'm stressed out as it looks quite bad and I'm worried he will lose fur over this , I just rang the vets and she said to try Masaleb shampoo on him and put more steroid creams on him which I don't like the idea of as I've heard steroids are not very good . I'm stuck as to why he keeps getting this its not fleas as his on advacate once a month since he was a baby , he eats only burns food since he was little as well and his had no trouble , it's only the last month that his started to get all this . The vet said allergies is very young to be showing up . Please some advice hate seeing him looking so sore . The only thing blue does and we do wash it , he does pee his bed as when he was a baby the woman let them pee in the crate on newspaper , but blues got alot better at this and has been holding his bladder at night and if he does we wash his bed the next day , also I did try sudacream as I heard people do this but only been using it two nights , someone also adviced me Pirton to help with the redness has anyone done this , I'm willing to try anything to help him thanks x
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I use to use Advocate until I notice all 6 of my dogs were scratching, I no longer use it & all 6 dogs have now stopped scratching.
    Could try swapping food to sometime what they are eating can cause them to scratch, even if they have always been fed it, they can suddenly develop an reaction to it.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Are all the problems around the site where the harness comes into contact? If so, is it a new one? Has it been washed recently (ie not long before this started)?

It does sound like a contact allergy, but could really be anything. Think back to anything you may have changed, ie food, bedding, even carpets and see if you can come up with anything that may be the cause
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would take him back to the vet and request a skin scraping be done.
  6. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    No its not just where the harness was , now it's on his neck chest legs . I stopped the harness a month ago when this happened and his been on a collar since .I can't think of anything I'ved changed I did buy him a new bed a week before this all happened but I really don't belive it's that . Yes I wanted to do the skin scrape , do you know how much that is in the UK . The vet just wants to do steroids for a couple of days , but I want to know why this has happened again because steriods are not solving the promblem . It's only the last month all this has come up .
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @katie134 - I am sorry but I do not know how much a skin scrape would cost as I am not in the UK. However, when Pereg developed some ugly spots in and around her groin her vet took a number of skin scrapes and snipped some hair from the area, and I do not think it cost that much.

Unfortunately I cannot access her online diary due to Google messing me around and wiping all my email passwords, so I cannot give you an approximate amount by converting the currency to sterling.
  8. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    That's okay , I think I'm gonna do this Ill try book an appointment for him for tomorrow . I just want a more clearer answer as this is twice now in 1 month and it's been alot of money for medication with no answer .
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katie134 likes this.
    Dogs can react too many different things including flea treatments, because a product has been used for x amount of time doesn’t mean they won’t develop a reaction to it.

Although you have been giving flea treatment its possible one might have got away, most products do take a while to work (up to 24 hours).so its possible there may be eggs, larva anywhere in the house that he has been they only have to bite to cause a reaction.

For skin problems I always use Bob Grass ‘skincure ,it has a strong smell of sulphur but has always worked for me .http://www.bobgrass.co.uk/product.html

I've used Piriton in the past the regular Piriton , not the non drowsy (different ingredients).but to be honest it didn’t make much difference ,but all dogs are different.
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Could be as others have stated, a product you use on the dog or you use, or could be food related.
    Chicken being the most common. (Not fresh chicken but kibble or canned).

Best wishes.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd also, just to rule it out, go back to the old bed for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference.

As an aside, my dog is highly allergic to - chicken, canned, kibble and fresh
  12. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Yeah I just put his old bed back in last night , his legs are sore looking like dried blood over them this morning looks like his been chewing when his been left alone at night , gonna ring the vets today and book him in for as soon as . I feed him burns chicken and rice puppy kibble if it was the food , what would be a good option to feed him that's for a sensitive dog .
  13. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    like I said also blue does wee his bed which I'm started to wonder could that be a big cause , it's something we're trying to stop him doing by taking his water up at 7 at night and bringing him out for a wee before I put him into his bed .
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    what suits one dog wont necessarily suit another so it’s a case of trial and error, you could try a hypoallergenic or a grain free, like salmon/duck and potato, shop around as prices vary, If you do change do it over the course of a week by introducing it slowly.
  15. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Take a look at Acana grain free. It's a very good quality and contains no rice, which I don't like giving my dogs. They like the Acana Grasslands.
  16. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Back from vets they done a skin scrape on him so thank god it's not mange , the vet belives it's his immune system and he will grow out of it . I'll try meby some different brands . I have some cream to help with the scabs at the moment so just see how it all goes thank you so much xxx
  17. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Have you gotten him any new treats or anything like that? Our dog had a bad rash around his neck area and we traced it to an allergic reaction to a treat we had gotten him. He cannot have "cheap" brands of treats or food. His reaction was to Pedigree Dental treats. Hope you find out what it is.
  18. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I feed blue a pedigree dental stick everyday I might try stop that for a few weeks to see if that helps , I do give him fruits recent like melon and cucumber as treats gonna stop that as well just to see . poor baby gets very stressed out in the vets as well we had to hold him down to do the skin scrape looks so sore hopefully he will heal up all soon and be back to normal .
  19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katie134 likes this.
    I think they are a waste of money plus the ingredients are awful.
    Top 10 Ingredients In Pedigree DENTAStix
    1. Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.
    2. Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.
    3. Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.
    4. Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.
    5. Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.
    6. Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.
    7. Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point):Suspected to include recycled cardboard.
    8. Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.
    9. Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.
    10. Salt(Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension — used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride .http://thehydrantblog.com/2011/02/05/top-10-ingredients-in-pedigree-dentastix/
  20. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thanks not gonna feed him this anymore , never knew how bad these were .