SM in Cavaliers Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Chellej28, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Chellej28

Chellej28 New Member

Name:
    Chelle

SM in Cavaliers

My 2 year old Cavalier has been showing signs of SM first diagnoses was possible Petite Seizures. Was on phenobarbitol worked for a few months and now symptoms/strange patterns are back tried another med and still not working. Meeting with holistic Dr. hopefully next week and possibly accupuncture. Anyone have some help on SM and anything that possibly can help??? Love my little Lacey like crazy...an amazing breed!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I am sorry to hear you have a SM Cavalier. They are a lovely breed, and it is so sad that they can be subject to this horrible complaint. It is not the only breed affected, but the one which has received the most attention because of Cavaliers being such a popular breed.
    I count myself lucky as I had around 15 Cavaliers between 1970 and 1996, and only had one with SM. She did the scratchy neck thing from quite a young age, but in her case it didn't go much worse until she reached her teens, and was also showing signs of dementia. There was very little information available in those days - I'm sure I wasn't even given a named diagnosis.
    Are you a member of the Cavalier Club? You are likely to likely to get more information from their breed health co-ordinater. There is also the Pet Cavalier Club, for an opposite viewpoint. Clare Rusbridge, who appears on the Supervet programme on TV, is the leading expert on the condition. I think I would start by Googling, Clare Rusbridge Syringomyelia Treatment, and see if that is any help. Best Wishes.
  4. Chellej28

Chellej28 New Member

Name:
    Chelle
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you sooo much for your response it is SO troubling to me she is not herself all the time only some of the time and it is tough!!! I will definetly take the info you have given me and put it to good use. I have not got a definate diagnosis for the main reason of $$ and if it is SM which I am 90% sure it is by all her symptoms I would never do the surgery...too invasive and not from what I read a definate good outcome! I went on this site and so glad I did...any and all kind words helps!!! I have done so much research and my vet has been fantastic! Again Thank you for all your info and reaching out...they are an amazing dog and my friend is the breeder of my baby so she has been with me through it all too. Sometimes need someone that has experienced it...
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry that the info I have given is UK related - I didn't realise you were not till I saw the $ sign. It should be the same for both sides of the pond though.
    They are a very special breed - so close, more like having a child when you get a good one. I agree with your decision completely.