Small breed temperaments Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katilea, Oct 5, 2012.

1. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

Small breed temperaments

Hi guys

I'm researching for my next breed of dog. My family has always have medium/large dogs GSD, labs, collies and crosses of those breeds.

I have a border collie cross now 11 and half, but I didn't have mobility impairments when I got her.

Due to my current situation (and future) I'd need a smaller dog that won't require as much exercise (in comparison to how much a collie needs!).

I was looking at cavalier KCS as they all seem very gentle and friendly dogs, but they have so many health defects and was alarmed when a breeder told me a certain grade of heart murmur was acceptable. I also think SM is a horrible condition and did not seem to be able to get a guarantee any puppy I bought wouldn't have it, even if parents were clear.

So I'm now looking at the following smaller breeds and wondered if anyone on here has experience of one these breeds (or crosses of them) and can tell me what they are like temperament wise? I'd want it to learn to alert me to sound and help a bit around house (tidy his toys, pick up small things I dropped) so he can't be too lazy! I'm particularly interested in male personality/temperament of these breeds as mine will more than likely be male.

Breeds I'm looking at:
    miniature poodle
    miniature schnauzer
    parsons russell
    possibly a chihuahua cross depending what it was crossed with and size of resulting cross?
    shih tzu
    lhasa apso
    any cross 12"-15" and preferably under 20lbs ..(30lbs max)

it needs to be light enough for me to pick up if I need to and ride on my knee in power chair if needed

Thanks

Kati
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labaddicted91

labaddicted91 New Member

Name:
    witheld
    Have you thought about a cocker spaniel- my friend had a show type which was very smart but is very lazy lol :)
  4. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    yeah but I think they are a bit bigger than I wanted and high energy dogs been gundogs (most are, maybe you were lucky) Ones I know are daft as a brush!... lol!
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I can't advise as much depends on your personal preferences as well as requirements.

My previous dog was a Border Collie and I loved him and the breed so much, but, after breaking my ankle 4-5 years ago I knew when I lost my boy that I couldn't give a BC the amount of exercise and stimulation it would need.

I too wanted a small breed that could be picked up easily, but one that could cope with going out for walks, that could get enough exercise in the garden should I not be able to walk through ice/snow etc, but still had plenty of character and mischief.

My choice was the Border Terrier and I've now had my little girl for 11 months. She's cheeky and she's fun and I love her to bits. She's happy to sit on my knee (even when I eat if we go outside a cafe that is crowded), happy to walk, happy to play in the garden. She is very accommodating, bless her.
  6. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I have issues with snow as obviously the scooter/chair can't get out. I'm at end of a cul-de-sac on a hill and the road infront of my house freezes over when had snow then the freezing temps overnight. Even when a neighbour dug me a path the scooter just slid as soon as I got onto the road so they had to try and turn me back round and push me back down my drive.. lol! .. so my poor baby had to wait until weekend when family could get over to take her out. so I also wanted a much smaller dog for this reason.

There are two border terriers up my road, the one at end of estate which I can't avoid, goes absolutely mental everytime I go past, even if see's us on road the man picks it up and crosses the road with it and the dog is going absolutely beserk!.. which I have to say did put me off the breed! However some newer neighbours have moved in few doors from him who also have a small border terrier and that one is the complete opposite! Very quiet and obedient, walks along nicely on the lead!

I've been told pugs are very docile like cavvies but with their breathing issues would they struggle trotting alongside a power chair or scooter, would I need to pick it up to cross a busy road quick?

I do seem attracted to looks of the terrier types but people say don't get terriers they are really hyper and very yappy and snappy! It's hard to know how much can be improved from training and the right environment and how much is really bred into them and no matter you do they will always be yappy or run off or not come back! (scent hounds etc).

People mentioned greyhounds and whippets alot, does the Italian Greyhound have the same kind of personality?
  7. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Would put Snappy down to Parents. Wouldn't describe any of the families terriers as either yappy or snappy - though one had no tolerance of being messed about (poked/ sat on etc) - do not leave unattended with kids - and two would boundary guard.

Would say they need training and exercise/ stimulation. IMO it's possibly easier to create a monster if these are neglected than with some other types...

Desire to hunt small furries varies hugely.

Edit: Based this entirely on JRT/ scruffy working terrier types.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  8. Hevvur

Hevvur New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Why not a Chihuahua instead of a cross?
    Fab little dogs!
  9. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

I'm worried they would be too tiny, especially as Inca is quite big in comparison (23" at shoulder). Also for helping to do little jobs around the house.

I seem to like ones like miniature poodle so got height but they are very light and the parsons russell which is also about 15 " and not as stocky as the jack russell. I thought it would be a little less hyper as it been bred for show rather than a working dog... Also wouldn't have the professional grooming costs.

I like Boston Terriers kind of look like mini boxers! I don't know if they will have similar breathing issues to the pug?

Someone mentioned a Min Pin on here.. what are they like?

I really like the Lhasa Apso .. again they are said to be stubborn and independent so not sure of their potential as an 'assistance dog' for me? I know of two dogs Havanese x Cavalier who are actually Hearing Dogs (also brothers, think there was a litter donated, but only 2 passed all the assessments to be qualified assistance dog) Havanese aren't easy to find neither are the American Eskimo dogs (miniatures). I like the black miniature schnauzers too.

I'm finding it hard to guess on looks so was wondering on the temperaments to see if that would sway me to any particular breed.
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I used to have a prt and he'd have been very happy to be a part time lap dog, he loved his walks but loved being with me all day long more. He used to come to work with me and doss under my desk all day long. I currently have 2 Pugs who could certainly keep up with your scooter or be happy to hitch a lift. They don't dawdle when out but are happy to spend long periods asleep at home. As long as they come from breeders intent on improving the breed the breathing issues shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't ever describe them as docile though, they are very lively, especially as youngsters. They are funny little comedians intent on having fun probably not much use as an assistance dog unless it's to make you laugh all day.
  11. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

lol!! but could they learn to come and tell me when my phone was ringing or someone at door or smoke alarm going off? .. not very physical jobs. hearing dogs do use smaller breeds than charities such as Canine Partners who obviously are teaching the dogs more physical tasks like helping the person undress or as a brace to help them stand/balance.

I think smallest dog HD trained was a papillon, they used to do lots of crossbreeds and unusual breeds like Keeshond? They seem to be moving towards standardising the breeds they use now though. most of the smaller ones are now cocker spaniels or poodles (miniature).
  12. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Aunt's scruffy terrier type would have prob been great. Would fetch slippers/ his dinner bowl and find the tortoise to order.

Abandoned at the the vet's by his 1st owners for being "Yappy & Snappy"

He was a great little dog. (dachshundy mix)
  13. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Mini Pinscher (minpin).
  14. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

awwhh, he sounds great. do you know what cross he was? I don't have a tortoise but could get one if he needed one to find... lol!
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    If you're able to manage the grooming, I think a miniature poodle would suit you very well. Very trainable, and agile enough to jump on to your lap with no problem. The ones I've had in the past have loved retrieving so easy to exercise. No problems with moulting obviously.

I know that years ago when they were very popular there were a lot of badly bred ones about - I was very lucky and got very healthy, long lived ones.

Can't compete with finding tortoises to order, but one of mine used to deliberately turn the poor tortoise on its back!
  16. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I think JoedeeUK on the forum is experienced in Cavaliers so she might be able to address your concerns about health issues with the breed.

Miniature Poodles are pretty full of beans. They are smart but fairly independent so I don't think you would get the easy going dog you are looking for in one of these. Mini Schnauzers are along the same lines I think. My experience of Schnauzers is that they bark a LOT; I used to dog sit two! nice dogs but I wouldn't call them laid back. My neighbours one barks constantly too.

I like Shih Tzu's. My nan had them and they were lovely characters. Only downside is that they need a fair amount of grooming. My nans were not the sharpest tools in the box but that could be down to their breeding rather than the breed!

What about a Yorkie? I am biased of course but they do fit your requirements. Very smart, trainable little dogs, huge characters, will take as much or as little exercise (mine will keep up with my gundog breeds or will sleep all day; preferably on my lap!), excellent watch dogs and they cost very little to maintain. Only downside is the grooming requirements (mine gets clipped short every 3-4 months) and they fact that they can be barky. Mine has a passion for rolling in sh*t but that is an individual thing not a breed thing. :lol:

Other breeds that might fit you: Norfolk Terrier, Whippet, Bedlington Terrier, Westie.
  17. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

lol! .. I knew a few that qualified as Hearing dogs and know one thats a medical alert dog. They do seem very bright and like you say more agile for jumping up to my lap than something like a Lhasa? I'd have to pay a mobile groomer as live in village and don't know of any accessible dog grooming shop near me, though several mobile ones.

Would a Jack Russell, Parson Russell or (mini) Schnauzer have the same agility?
  18. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    They are proper little watch dogs and can bark for England although mine live with Dobermanns so how much is learned behaviour from those around them is hard to quantify. They don't yap but have quite gravelly barks. The biggest problem would be them liking to please themselves, they can be incredibly bright when it suits them and unbelievably dim when it doesn't. :lol:
  19. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

I do really like the Cavalier! I had fallen in love with a pic of a tri-colour cavalier and even thought of his name till I found out about all the health issues. I wanted one from puppy as I felt Inca would find the transition easier than a strange adult dog coming in (like adult rescue) I really like the Black/tan ones too I'm more of black dog person!

I haven't considered a Westie simply cos lady next door had one which died recently I thought it would be kind of painful for her as she can't manage another dog but likes to sit in her bedroom (our back doors into garden are in bedroom) watching my dog Inca play. And hers yapped incessantly as soon as Inca went into garden and running up and down the other side of the fence. (kind of open fence so they could see each other)

Bedlingtons I don't know much about other than daft haircuts and when I still lived at home there were some 3 doors down from us .. again never stopped yapping!

I do like colouring on Yorkies they are a breed I like especially as I'm also Yorkshire born and bred! An auntie had one years ago that was lovely lived with a golden retriever and their police dog.. not sure whether it would be 'too small' for what I'd want it to be able to do.
    I'd consider a Yorkie cross that was a bit bigger.

My other problem is I'm housebound and can't drive or travel in car (severe motion sickness from vestibular ataxia) so finding a breeder willing to bring the puppy to me is also a difficulty, rescues too as they like you to see the dog in the kennel. My only hope was to find a breeder really near me who maybe wouldn't mind coming to visit with the bitch before she had her pups and get my name down for the next litter or something like that?

My only other option is a breeder off the internet that has a puppy courier service for people unable to make the journey (think they were based in Wales), they only do cockapoo's (which have no guarantee of final size) or Toy poodles, but they would be my last resort if I couldn't get help locally.
  20. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    We have a Shih tzu x Yorkie cross , she is very clever very active ..
    Not yappy what so ever ,lives with big dogs with no issues ,,,
    And rescues are full of smallish cross breeds right now ...
  21. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    My terrier is one-quarter yorkie and the rest is probably all Jack Russell. He is extremely agile - now 12, and still very lively.

I regularly see a man in a mobility scooter with a Jack Russell - presumably the dog doesn't like other dogs because he always calls the dog who jumps up onto his lap with no problem. I can't imagine mine helping by bringing things to you though - he'd want to keep it himself and 'kill' it, but perhaps it would be different if they are trained in assistance right from the start.

Are there any assistance dog training organizations who could offer you advice?