Snow! Photos

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Pork1epe1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara

Snow!

It's been snowing here in deepest, darkest Hungary since this time yesterday and according to the forecast won't stop until tomorrow afternoon! About 6 inches of the stuff on the ground, but luckily being a Friday enough workman around to clear the paths and clear one up to the woodshed, so at least I can get logs to keep us warm and cosy in the house!

A few pics of Georgina and Gwylim enjoying themselves in the snow!

SAM_1721.JPG
    SAM_1717.JPG SAM_1728.JPG

SAM_1726.JPG
    And Gwylim with his "snow bobbles"!

SAM_1729.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Your car looks well snowed in! We have about 4 inches here. Fairly crisp first thing, but although it is still there above ground, it has gradually turned slushy underfoot. Ed doesn't react much, but Merry was a lunatic - she galloped so hard on the end of her line, (sometimes galloping on the spot), that we did the walk in record time! I'm hoping that it doesn't freeze until all the paths are clear.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I haven't been able to get my car into the garage since before Christmas, when I was given 3 cubic metres of tree trunks which blocked the garage entrance and were only cut into logs last Wednesday afternoon. Can't move it now because there's too much snow, so it'll just have to wait outside for a little longer!

The snow's now about 12 inches deep and as Georgina is only 18 inches tall and Gwylim 14 inches they aren't ... or can't venture too far. The clever pair though have made themselves a little path all the way from the front gate to just beyond the woodshed door. Very useful for mum as well as it means I don't have to plough through deep snow to get logs!

A few more photos taken today. Not very good because the sky is so overcast.

Taken at 6.45 am today before it was light!
    SAM_1731.JPG

The path that Georgina and Gwylim made

SAM_1734.JPG

General photos of the garden

SAM_1737.JPG

SAM_1740.JPG
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Pork1epe1 like this.
    Lovely pics

Being Scottish it brings back lots of memories, had to walk a mile to school in waist high snow.

We have lovely dry sunshine this morning.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh, you have just jolted a memory into life.
    I remember taking my mare Miffy for a solitary ride over Lantern Pike, (High Peak), one Winter. It was a bright day, the snow was soft, and she was fitted with Mordax studs. We climbed up in the lee of the walls, and there were beautiful views of the snow clad Peak District. What I hadn't allowed for was the difference that altitude makes. The wind had iced the surface of the snow, and I also began to have difficulty locating the bridle paths. Miffy was a 3/4 bred, so eventually there were spots of blood where her heels were beginning to bleed, so I got off and led her. I was starting to worry - I had nothing with me, and there were no mobiles in those days. I tried to stop at a run down farm, but though I was sure there was someone in, they wouldn't answer the door. Eventually I got my bearings again, and we dropped down into Hayfield village, where I realised that we had actually been travelling over the tops of the walls and five bar gates!
    We then had a weary 5 mile hack along the snow free A6 to get home.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Glad you both got home safe, its scary how easily one can get lost in deep snow especially with lots of drifts.
  8. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    The last really bad snow we had was in 2009 when we had 3 feet.. M'boi and Chloe were about 6 months old and for 3 weeks I had nowhere to exercise them apart from an 18 inch wide path from the front gate up to the woodshed. Having decided there was no way they could escape from the garden with so much snow, I left them off leash when we went up to the woodshed little knowing the pair of them had other ideas!

Chloe took it into her head to burrow under the snow which as expected caved in on her leaving only the tip of her tail showing. I'd no sooner dug her out to see that somehow M'boi had managed to clamber onto the snow and was trying to walk across it which resulted in her getting stuck up to her neck in the stuff! So having rescued Chloe I had to get a spade and dig her out as well. After that I decided until the snow had disappeared outing were always on leads!
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have you got the heating and water taps working yet, Barbara?
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Don't ask Carole! It's a long loooong story!

There's never been a problem with the central heating. I have a gas Baxi combination boiler which runs a sealed system for the radiators but needs an intake from the water from the mains.

Late Saturday afternoon was pleased to find I'd got water again and on Sunday morning had my first shower for over a week ... bliss! I'd just loaded the washing machine when I heard someone call me at the front gate. Our former village mayor and his wife who aren't Georgina's most favourite people as he's got a loud booming voice which she doesn't like and is highly suspicious of and ever since she told me Georgina was vicious and should be PTS .

They told me there was water streaming across the path outside which was coming from the "well" (a concrete lined hole about 5 ft deep which has the mains water pipe, the water meter, and connections and other what-nots) Anyway they wanted to come in to the garden and check to see what was wrong. Told them to wait until I'd put the dogs into the house, which I managed to do quite easily with Gwylim, but no way was Georgina going to leave me alone with people she doesn't trust. Eventually after slipping and sliding all over the icy path managed to catch her and get her inside. In the meantime, because of all the snow piled up couldn't get the front gate open so they lifted it off by the hinges!

For the next hour lots of too-ings and fro-ings .. a submersible pump was produced with loads of tools and numerous consultations between them, most of which were unintelligible to me. Then at one point I saw the wife walking up path towards the house, but before I could get there she'd let herself in to be confronted by both dogs. Gwylim was going ballistic and Georgina had gone into guard dog mode and was trying to prevent her from walking into my bedroom by blocking her way and trying to tug at her trousers! Grabbed her and Gwylim and shoved them both into the living room and closed the door.

After checking there was still running water in the house (which I could have done, had I been asked) we both went out to be told the wife was going to church and he was going home to phone the water board and ask them to come out! So there was I with two unhappy dogs shut inside, a front gate off it's hinges, water, water everywhere and no idea when the men would arrive to repair the broken pipes! Luckily the man who walks the dogs passed by so I asked him to put the gate back on it's hinges and was able to let the dogs out again.

I'd just had a sandwich and a coffee and gone to check on the dogs when I heard a loud voice booming down the road and seeing a truck had arrived outside his home decided it must belong to the water board. Managed to get the dogs back inside and into the living room with no trouble by the time the men arrived a my house.

To cut a long story short, two hours and £70 later everything was repaired, everyone had departed and I now had water. For what was left of the day we all chilled out in front of the fire. Georgina, stretched out on the sofa with Gwylim snuggled on my lap, whilst I watched "The Young Pope" on TV and treated myself to a large whisky!
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Wow, talk about, all's well that ends well. I hope all that water hadn't gone through your meter though! That happened to us once with a newly built house which hadn't been connected tightly enough. In the event, they did an estimate which actually favoured us.
    Glad you are back to normal now in your pretty Christmas card village.
  12. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    It looks like they are having great fun! You are so lucky!
  13. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    The snow's still here and doesn't look like disappearing any time soon!

Desperate to get to the bank and the shops yesterday I persuaded four of the brawny lady work(wo)men to clear the driveway enough to back my car out onto the lane and off I went to town, leaving two unhappy dogs behind!

Nice to see civilisation has survived without me!

A few photos of my two in the snow taken yesterday afternoon. Enjoy!

SAM_1753.JPG

SAM_1755.JPG

SAM_1761.JPG

SAM_1763.JPG SAM_1764.JPG
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Pork1epe1 like this.
    You will be so soggy when it thaws! Love Gwylim's sweater, he looks quite cosy.
  15. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks! Gwylim loves his sweaters and I usually buy him the Trixie ones which fit him nicely!

Quite frankly I'm so sick of the snow I couldn't care less about it being soggy underfoot when it finally makes it's mind up to thaw!

I've got a ditch running down the side of the driveway which catches most of the surplus water and outside on the other side of the path a 3 feet deep concrete rainwater culvert plus the other side of the lane a 6 foot by 4 foot wide culvert which runs the whole length of the village.

I think it was about 7 years ago the village was flooded and I had 4 inches of water in my enclosed garden at the front of the house as well as part way up my driveway. The village green looked like a lake with the church in the centre! After that the municipality built culverts on both sides of the roads which are regularly cleaned and cleared of leaves and rubbish and we've never had flooding since.

I suppose I should be thankful because other countries have bee hit much worse with the snow and cold. At least we're cosy and warm and hurray, hurray I've got
    running water in my house!​
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Pork1epe1 - Barbara, where do you get Gwylim's sweaters? I can get sweaters for Tikva but always the sizing is wrong. One which was marked as Small would have fitted a Labrador, and one which was supposedly Large [all companies give the neck, chest and back length measurements - ahaha - ] would just about fit a Chihuahua puppy.

It is not that is is so very cold here, but out of the sun it is chilly, and Tikva is very short-coated and so thin that she really needs a sweater that fits like Gwylim's fit him.
  17. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    It's absolutely freezing this morning! No snow, but enough to where I need to put Hans in a sweater when he goes out.
  18. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Malka likes this.
    Malka. I always buy him Trixie sweaters which are made in Germany and cost around £10 each. I don't order them on line because Alphazoo in the big city sells them and very conveniently will change them if the size isn't right.

If you look at the Trixie de website you can see all the products and I notice there are two shops/suppliers in Israel that you could maybe contact
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thanks - I have found the Trixie.de website in English, and one store in Israel - which does not have a website. But looking through all the sweaters they are actually the same shape as the ones I have bought for Tikva. The problem is the curved bit that goes up to the tail. A new sweater arrived to day which [after the usual fight and my knuckles being chewed] it is fine on her chest but loose from her chest to her tail because she really is skinny, and the curve at the end of the back curls up. It did have loops for her hind legs but they did not help as she is so thin.

It looks like all dog sweaters have that curved bit at the end but at least this latest one is OK found her chest and ribs - and the end of the back will just have to curl up. At least it hides her spine from the nosy-parkers who swear I starve her.
  20. Breedy500

Breedy500 New Member

Name:
    Luke
    They look adorable, see to be enjoying the snow