So this happened today... Videos

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by mjfromga, Jun 9, 2019.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

So this happened today...

These people are new to this state and the shelters just don't have room here... Especially for a litter of 7 puppies with no mother etc. They needed homes for them ASAP. They have multiple small children etc. I instantly somehow fell for this little stinker. This is his first plop onto the living room floor. Nigredo said hi. I wasn't worried about him being mean.

He's a rather confident little dude. Fears nothing. Walks around with tail held high. His name is Malone. He did fall down the stairs... But he is not hurt. He didn't yell or anything. Dude has tons of fleas (typical) and they said they got him one set of shots... but he is super young so idk. I will take him to the vet this coming weekend hopefully.

I don't know what he is mixed with... Hopefully he doesn't get giant... If so... Oh well.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    mjfromga likes this.
    Well MJ I guess you just have a big ole soft heart ; -)

Little guy needed a home, good on you for opening up your door to him! Hopefully Nigredo will take to him and he’ll help keep him young, as you know the little guy is going to try and get him to play.

I liked the music you put to the video too. Good luck with the new pup!!
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Nigredo is gentle and won't hurt the little man... But he's nearly 7 and he's not much for playing with little monsters. He just tries to escape from the puppy.

Malone has been a good boy today. He's fairly quiet and he has been peeing outside (not in the grass but outside). He hasn't pooped today at all yet. He got a bath (hated) and some natural flea repellent (tea tree) and he's currently asleep.

Closer look... Anybody got any idea what he's mixed with? At first I was thinking something like Cocker Spaniel... But now I think it's likely Labrador. There's no way he gets as big as Nigredo, but I hope he doesn't "blonk" and he stays 40-50 lbs or less. We shall see.

He is not the runt but was the one right above the runt... The rest of the pups were girls and I don't do girls. He doesn't seem particularly intelligent but I already love the smelly little dude. I swore I wouldn't do this but I just couldn't help myself. They wanted me to take two more but I can't.

He only has front teeth and she said they're only about 5-6 weeks. VERY hungry, incredible appetite and greed. No attempts at chewing anything. Also why I sorta think Labrador mix.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    mjfromga likes this.
    and there goes your resolve for Nigredo being your last dog :)

Malone is a little cracker. Love the name by the way.

As for breed? He's a little too young to get any real clues as yet.

Enjoy him x
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Yeah I didn't intend on any puppies... But there it goes. Thanks about the name BTW. He was running all over and whatnot and he's brown so I named him after a basketball player lol.

I hope he's a smart boy like Nigredo. I also hope he doesn't get big... But he's a random puppy so who knows? He should still be with mom but at 5-6 weeks... He can eat solids etc so he's fine. Been giving him canned dog and cat food mixed together until he grows more teeth.

He keeps trying to play with Nigredo. Nigredo does NOT want to play with him but he is patient so all is well. He pooped a BIG solid poop this morning (on the floor)... Which I'm happy about because he hadn't pooped since he got here early yesterday.

Hopefully all goes well with this little man. I do think I'm going to neuter him. There's a female dog right next door and this guy seems like he might be a bit frisky. Not yet though of course. Maybe around a year old.

Turns out he can navigate the big stairs by himself (he disappeared on me earlier and I found him upstairs)... So I will have to keep a closer eye on him.

He's got some little guard in him. My brother came into my room this morning and Malone flew to his feet and barked "stranger danger". He's like 6 weeks and been here two days so it was hilarious. He quickly recognized my brother when my brother came and was nice to him and he calmed down.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

His greed is annoying. Whenever someone is eating... He rears up and yaps and tries to beg... And he is relentless. A bop on the nose is in order IMO but I want to give it some time. Now I REALLY think he's a Labby guy.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Don't bop him :(

Just ignore him while you'r eating and he'll soon realise that his antics don't work.
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I would never ever hurt him. Just one tiny finger on the nose. He is super relentless... He also tugs on clothes and jumps up and yaps loudly. I have begun to remove him when he does that. He is quickly becoming less yappy in his crate.

Here's what I meant by bopping. Is this harmful to you? It did not hurt him and he did not bite my hand anymore afterwards.
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

Here he is outside today... He's nippy but I am trying to be patient with him rather than stern because he is only 6-ish weeks. He is doing super well with potty, he is also seeming to learn that you potty in the grass, not on the concrete.

He doesn't yell at all in his carrier anymore. I ordered him a bigger crate. He's GOT to be a chocolate Labrador mix. His appearance and temperament reminds me of my Labby guys in the past. Hopefully he doesn't get past 50-60 lbs... But if so... Oh well.

I don't use treats at all for potty time... I actually only use treats for tricks. Basic obedience I only use praise and potty I only use praise.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    mjfromga likes this.
    He's a lovely little guy.

He seems pretty laid back
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Zero accidents today as well. No yelling in his crate either. He's a good tiny man. I am sure I will be able to kick the nipping. It isn't severe. I am just going to train him in basic obedience I suppose.

He is quite confident and seemingly a bit smarter than I initially gave him credit for. He responds well to gentle reprimands so I don't expect training him to be very hard.

The greed is pretty severe. I put him up when I eat in my bedroom now. He relentlessly attacks my food if I don't. He isn't food aggressive at all though. He just wants to snatch and eat everything. He also scarfs down his wet food by the huge mouthful. I gave him a few bits of turkey (bad I know) and he scarfed them without even chewing. They were BIG bits too!

Oreo did this when I first got him and grew out of it naturally. Cats aren't naturally greedy so I know the puppy may need guidance that the kitten didn't need, but I am hoping with him being fed well, the greed will reduce some on its own.

He also does not truly seem to enjoy being outside. He constantly tries to go back inside when we are outside. He confidently approaches huge dogs and people. No fear in him at all. Not sure if this is good or bad. He went after Oreo today trying to play. Oreo, annoyed that a puppy was bugging him, swiped out a leg and knocked Malone over with one blow. He didn't yell or anything, but he left Oreo alone.

Hopefully he will grow into a mild mannered and gentle boy like Nigredo.
  13. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

Look who is doing much better with greed and food snatching. Still sucks at sitting, though. We just started. Been focused on the greed since it was the major issue. Zero accidents at all anywhere. Not in crate, not in the house. Cries if crated and needs to potty and runs to the door if out of the crate and needs to potty. Really did not need to teach him anything. Potty training down.

Got more shots Sunday and also gave him a dewormer. He's STILL pooping out big ugly roundworms. Saw some this morning. I hadn't seen any at all until he got the wormer. So disgusting. He will need another dewormer, as his infestation is clearly quite severe. I have it here for him. Gonna wait about a week or so and repeat.

He's got back teeth now, as well... So trying to add some dry food to his wet food and then eventually phase him over to dry. Judging by his appearance, greed, and how quickly he learns things... I suspect he is a Labby guy, like my other boys have been.

Nigredo was 20 lbs at 16 weeks and has an ideal weight of about 90-95 lbs. So I will wait until 16 weeks and see how much this dude weighs and might get an idea of his final size. I don't think he will be very big.
  14. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I did ask around and some people think he is a fairly new type of mutt called a chocolate "Goldador". A Labrador mixed with a Golden Retriever. Upon looking around, he looks just like one. I may get a DNA test for him just for fun. As adults... they're really beautiful dogs so I hope he grows up to look like one. The fur on his ears and around his neck spells some sort of long haired or curly haired breed.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    From the video, I did wonder if he had any spaniel in him. He's a cute little fella
  16. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Yup. I suspected Cocker Spaniel at first too. Especially once I saw they come in chocolate. Still not sure. As he gets older, maybe it'll be easier to tell.

He's a good little dude... Not at all the "puppy terror" I often hear about.
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Chris B likes this.
    So I took Malone to the vet today. All yesterday he had explosive diarrhea and it wasn't better this morning. They sent off a complex fecal exam for him. Will be back in a few days.

They prescribed him some Metronidazole, Ivermectin, and Forti Flora. He also gets another dewormer in a week. He's behaving normally and eating like crazy.

He's exactly 4 lbs. He isn't really gaining weight at all and his coat is dry so they suspect just a really heavy parasite infestation. They labeled him a Labrador mix. They suspect he is a bit stunted but that he will be fine with some TLC.

He did well at the vet. Everyone loves him.
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    So as the day went by... Malone's poop got worse. I gave him the meds as instructed. He also picked over his dinner for the first time ever and he drank more water than usual. He's also quieter than usual, which all of it makes me nervous.

He has gotten one set of shots that I gave him, but I am concerned he might be brewing a parvo or something. He's only been in my yard but my neighbors dog comes over here etc so idk. Maybe he already had it when I got him.

I hope not. I cannot take him back to the vet today as I have to work today... But maybe tomorrow. I don't have $600+ for parvo treatment so if he does have it, I don't think there's anything I can do. I will try my best to see if they can set up a payment plan.

I honestly don't think they even tested him for it because yesterday he seemed totally normal except for the diarrhea... But he went downhill today pretty badly. I will see how he is in the morning. Poor little mite.
  19. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    If there is any way you can get him to the vets today, he needs to be seen as soon as possible.

Very young puppies can quickly run into serious problems if not treated promptly
  20. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Thankfully he seems totally fine this morning. Back to his normal self. Scarfed down his breakfast and running all over the place and biting my toes. He only took a sip or two of water, which is normal for him. I was so upset last night.

He may have just had some side effects from the meds or something. He got a lot of different stuff all at once. Ivermectin, Metronidazole, a 4 in 1 wormer, and Capstar... As well as flea drops. No fleas this morning.

And on another note, his poop was soft mushy strings rather than liquid. Much better than yesterday. Yay. Still waiting on the fecal test. He's okay seemingly. Gonna keep an eye on him.
  21. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

Lol he's such a good little guy. Here he is waiting in my lap for the vet yesterday. Silly little ears.