Spaying/neutering later in life Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Spaying/neutering later in life

I have a question for you who are more knowledgeable than I am. If a dog has not been spayed or neutered and they are at least 3 or 4 years old, will the surgery change their behavior? Basically, if a dog has not been fixed all it's life and is used to behaving a certain way will the surgery really make the difference? As an example, I have heard neutering young in age for males will help them to not want to wander and mark their territory but will that drastically change after neutering? Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    You can't predict how behaviour will change after spay/neuter but generally if you have a well balanced dog to start with you will have a well balanced one after, it migth calm A testosterone fuelled dog down a bit, or a humper or a flirty girl, or it might not. But if you have a dog with temperament problems such as fear aggression it can make it worse.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    My K9 still marks & humps but he's never been a wanderer he was neutered when he was 4 years old he's now 10 years old, where as the other 2 JRT males [Kobi & Zeus] where neutered when they were 12 months old & they to don't wander off, mark or hump.

We do have Scallywag a Border Collie at The Rescue Home that's nearly 8 years old & is still intact, he as never wandered away from us when we are walking him off lead, but off course he does mark his territory & will start fights with other intact males we have at The Rescue Home.

But Billy who is a GSD as been neutered & he is aggressive to all other male dogs whether they been neutered or not, he will also run off if he's been left off his lead so he as to stay on his lead at all times. Billy in my mind was far to young to be neutered as he was only 8 months when his previous owners had him neutered.

It really does depend on each individual dog as some dogs can turn more aggressive where as others can calm down.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    Here in Hungary male dogs are only neutered for medical reasons. My 3 year old Miniature Schnauzer is still intact. He's never wandered, humped and although he does enjoy posting his "pee mail" when we're out has never marked inside the house.

I live in a village where apart from 2 spayed female dogs the other 15 or so are all male and intact and like all village dogs are allowed to roam during the day. I've never seen any aggression amongst them and they happily accept my own two when I walk them in the village.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Forgot to say Female dogs can become aggressive when they have been spayed, My own Dottie is living proof of that, as she was not aggressive before she was done but since being sprayed as become very aggressive towards other dogs both males & female & has to be muzzled when on walkies [unless we are in secure field then she can be unmuzzled]
    Skye however have gone the other way she as gone OTT with friendless will whine/cry at anyone who walks pass her without touching her.
    Ziva is very nervous since being done but she was timid beforehand so not sure if being spayed as anything to do with it or not.
  7. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks for your replies! I find it a very interesting topic.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's and Jcarpentier like this.
    I think wandering has more to do with opportunity and breed type than cherchez la femme. Eddie is the first male that I have had neutered, it has not altered his behaviour, but he is more inclined to gain fat than other males that I have owned. He doesn't hump, but can still give himself an erection, so I don't think it has had any effect on his psyche.

I have never had post-spay aggression, and have neutered the majority of my bitches either after their second season, or at the end of their breeding career. I think that for females the health benefits of spaying outweigh any other considerations.
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    6JRT's likes this.
    Thanks so much! My husband and I neutered our dog because we thought it "the right thing to do." Spaying and neutering are looked at much differently here in the U.S. I thank you for your input and answering my question.

We are still looking for a companion for Copper but at this point where he has shown some cognitive decline we are wondering if waiting to get another dog would be best. That will be a question for the vet. Thanks again!
  10. Giddy Up Doggy

Giddy Up Doggy New Member

Name:
    Kelly
    I am actually very interested in this topic. I have a 6 year old stud I am retiring and contemplating neutering him. I haven't decided yet. It would be one less dog to shuffle around when one of my girls are in season, which would be nice. My main question is, would it remove his sex drive if he were neutered after being a stud for 5 years? Would he stop fretting, pacing, whining and not eating every time one of my girls are in?
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It may diminish, but I don't think it would remove his sex drive. My Beagle boy has never been used at stud and was castrated at 15 months. He is now almost nine, and though he doesn't bitch, he can still have erections. I also know of a Whippet stud who was castrated, but could still mate and tie! However, at least there would be no misalliances, which is one worry less in a multidog household.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think you won`t know that till you try it, but if he has not got any testosterone flyign around it should take some if not all the edge of it.

You could also try chemical castration (Suprelorin ) is whats used in the uk, its an implant (like a chip) that will last for around 6 mths depending on size of dog, could be longer . this will mimic a normal castration and will give you an idea of how your dog will react to full castration. doing it this way it gives you a "try before you buy"....
  13. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Don't believe it will make much of a difference. Certain breeds have a tendency to wonder, other individual dogs might go off for this or that. The only reason why neutering young would have any effect would be if they are smelling female in season and escape to find her/ breeding instinct. Dogs wonder for lots of reasons beyond breeding. Some dogs mark even when neutered young, some bitches also mark. I see a lot of behavior claims for neutering (positive ones) that are usually do to with training or not going to change because it is not related to being intact.
  14. Giddy Up Doggy

Name:
    Kelly
    Neutering didn't take the desire to breed away from my son's dog. He was neutered at 6 months. Since I posted this, one of my girls came in and he is still very interested and even tried to mount her. So I don't think it will make any difference in the desire if I neuter my older stud. Thanks for the input.
  15. Giddy Up Doggy

Name:
    Kelly
    I guess it would be worth a try. I am not sure it is available here in the US, but I will ask my Vet. Thanks for the input.
  16. Giddy Up Doggy

Name:
    Kelly
    My son's JRT was neutered at 6 months but my female is in heat an he mated her but she pulled away before he tied. So yes, even neutered males can mate but as you said, at least they can't get the female pregnant.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A side issue. I used to have a 15h Arab/TB mare, and a 13.2h Welsh Section B pony colt - both Palominos. I kept Crispin, the colt, separately until he developed a crest to his neck, at about 18 months, then had him cut. While he was under the anaesthetic, I asked the vet if it would be OK to turn him out, and was told yes, that he would recover quicker at grass, so I removed the gate which separated their fields.
    Some months later it became obvious that Miffy, my mare, had developed a belly, and sure enough, tested in foal - which was when I learned that geldings can remain fertile for about six weeks after castration. Big mistake!
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    That settles it then. I do not believe neutering changes most dogs, I am not saying it never has any change. However, I see dogs neutered young or old that still wonder, attempt to breed, behave aggressively, ect. The pro s/n people use "improved behavior" as part of their propaganda. I think s/n c an be beneficial for some owners and prevent unwanted litters, but it is often pushed as something that will improve behavior. Some drives that cause unwanted behavior are related to being intact, but some are not going to change they require training and management. some owners are not well educated on this. It is up to owners to learn about these things, but I have seen where vets or others push the s/n as if it will instantly correct unwanted behavior.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    But that was your sons dog, all dogs will react differently , as I said earlier you will not Know the outcome until you try it, it will take the desire away from some but not others, it will reduce testosterone and neutered dogs can mate and tie with a female, the one sure thing it can't do is produce pups.... there are a few tings to consider, will it make for a happier household, what is the dogs temperament like now, if you have a nervous dog that is prone to nervous aggression it neutering can make it worse due to the removal of testosterone , if your dog is confident and has no issues it should stay that way.

This is why I suggest superlorin ( chemical castration ) first, as it will mimick full castration, and if you don't see any difference wuith that, then it probably won't be any different with full castration....

I would think it would be avIlable in the US , but don't get it confused with "tardak " which is an injection that is used for a short term 3 weeks when a bitch is in season, "superlorin " is a chip that is implanted in the neck and will Last for 6mths or longer depending on the dog .

I would take this route to see if it's beneficial to you .
  20. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Wow! I'm sure glad I asked this question as it has sparked a good discussion. Thanks for all the info!