staffie pup Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Jan 13, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

staffie pup

hi I was just wondering I wrote a post about my staffie being attacked the other day his nearly 4 months , but alot of people have been telling me that I should get him neutured at about 5 months , the vet also said this . A lot of people have told me it can make other dogs attack him because they might find him a threat and they have said that it will stop him getting into any fights when his older . His a very placid dog anyways , just was wondering what every one else did , as I really am unsure I have heard bad stuff also that it can lead to cancer and there muscles and bones not growing properly I'm not an expert just wanted everyone else advice thank you .☺ just want to do the best for my puppy .
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    katie134 likes this.
    In England lots of vet don't recommend neutering males until they are 12 months old, this is to make sure the testicles have fully dropped
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Not sure if I have read or heard it, about new regulations coming in force in 2017, saying all dogs males & females unless show dogs must be neutered, chipped, registed with vets & local council.
    Like I said not 100% sure if true.
  5. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    katie134 likes this.
    18 months is when his growth plates will be closing so that is the minimum I would suggest but if you could wait until 2 years that would be best :)
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Kitkat_ and katie134 like this.
    My boy (Beagle) was done at 15 months, which was when I judged that he had reached maturity, but most vets and rescue orgs. seem to favour juvenile neutering these days. Lots of people, (like myself), like to wait until their boys to become men, and there is a dedicated core of owners who do not believe in neutering males at all.
    Everyone could come up with good arguments to back their opinion. In the end, it boils down to individual choice. I would read up all the available information, a good start would be,
    Neutering: Fact and Fiction, which appears under the Dog Articles heading on the sister site Dogsey.com
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Kitkat_ and katie134 like this.
    Speaking from my own experience ive always had ‘Entire Males living together and never had any problems with other male dogs, or them attacking other dogs,in over 50 yrs I never had any health problems due to not neutering with the exception of Heiko whom I had to have castrated last year age 8 yrs due to a benign prostatic hypertrophy.
    There are pro’s & con’s on both sides, my advice would be to do lots of research and make up your own mind and what you feel would be best for your dog, should you choose to go ahead I would wait until he’s at least 18mths/2yrs

Couple of links that may help http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/09/30/neutering-health-risks.aspx
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/26/early-neutering-effects.aspx