Staffordshire Toy Terrier? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by spikey, Mar 10, 2007.

1. spikey

spikey New Member

Staffordshire Toy Terrier?

Hi everyone,
    first I have to apologise for my english, I'm italian
    I live with 2 Staffordshire Bull Terrier, male 8 yo and bitch 3 yo, I wrote some thread in this forum some years ago...
    I don't like shows but today I'm gone to see one here in my town and all the staffy had very short legs, very short muzzle and seems to be something like Staffordshire Toy Terrier...
    I can't say they are ugly dogs but they are very small and I don't know if they can be working dogs if needed, I think SBT has changed in the last years, I remember dogs in the late 90's and they seem different from the ones I see around here.
    Is it the same in England?
    This beautiful breed will be the next show bulldog?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Personally i totally agree, They changed the height of the stafford but never the weight, which has resulted in more health problems in heavy show bred lines in Staffords, L2HA is the newest of them, but they do have a test for that and good breeders will not breed carriers of l2.

How ever im very much want to see the original standard back but there are breeders who do this and in the UK its not as hard to find breeds who suit the kind of stafford you want. Personally i find my staffords are more like the original staffords and i find them fitter and healthier, yet my first stafford was from show lines and she had to pts at nine months old just to tragic health problems.

BUT some show staffords are getting more daylight under their legs, so lets hope they will all start to go that way.
  4. spikey

spikey New Member

Thanks for your answer
    It's true, the weight is not changed...
    My staffy too are like the dogs I saw in the past
  5. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Can we see pictures please?? would love to see them.

Stafford are not meant to have huge wide heads, with a short muzzle and huge wide chest and barrel type body. But not all show staffords are like that
  6. spikey

spikey New Member

I don't have pictures at the moment, I lost my digicam some months ago in a concert...
    I was just curious if what I saw here is the same where you live, I have some books, english book too, and dogs seems different.
    I don't like square muzzles and short legs and I don't like sbt over 20 kg.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  7. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    None of mine are over 20 kg my bitch is 19 right now at just over 16 inches and trying to get her down to 16 kg as this is her best weight.
  8. spikey

spikey New Member

My dog is 19 kg and he's 43 cm (a little too tall) the bitch is 15 kg and she's 38 cm.
    It's not unusual here to see dogs about 22 kg
  9. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    19 inches is big pretty tall, but its over 20 inches when id start to worry lol

So at 15 inches your bitch is 16 kg (around abouts)
    and your boy is 19 kg and is 18 and half inches

Thats great but we need pics please when u can get them
  10. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Blimey they do weigh a packet don't they lol! My Poodle boy is just under 14.5" tall and weights 8.1 kgs and I thought that was heavy! :lol:
    Becky
  11. spikey

spikey New Member

12. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    no pics mate?
  13. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    there were no pics!
    personally i do no like 'leggy' staffords.
    they are mnt to be no taller than 16",
    my bitch pup should make 15"
    the breeder i got her from had exellent breed dogs,they were short without being oversized,
    they could 'breath' unlike the bull dog,
    a staffordshire bull terrier is ment to be short and stocky,
    irish staffords are ment to be taller,
    i love irish staffords but you should never confuse the breeds,same with american staffords
  14. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
  15. spikey

spikey New Member

how can I explain?
    for example if I have a look at the dogs on these site, they seems to be taller or maybe is just the impression because they have longer legs than what I see around here.
    Dogs I saw here seems to a have also a deeper chest and maybe, combined with short legs, this is the reason why they seems smaller.

http://www.holmes-staffords.co.uk/front.html

another one who doesn't seem to have square muzzle
    http://www.eliosunrise.com/tiger.htm

and here there is one who seems to have shorter legs (bayfarm's dollar)
    http://www.staffordtribute.info/photogallery/index.html

I'm just looking for some advice and want to know impression from people who see more sbt than me

thanks
  16. Loustaff

Loustaff New Member

Name:
    Louise
    to say that oh and by the way its L2 HgA, is present due to breeding show type staffords is utter tosh!!! this was caused by a single mutated gene, not through trying to breed a 'heavy show bred line'. this has always been present it is just now we have the technology and info to test directly for it.

for all you know one of your staffords who isnt a show type dog could be a carrier of L2, to totally wipe your hands of it and blame the show scene is totally irresponsible.
  17. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    i agree with you completely loustaff.
    these deseases have always been present,it has nothing to do with 'show breeding'.
    a repitable breeder,show or not,cares nothing more than about the health of there dogs,if they dont them its only as all they care about is the cash.
    the breed standard for a stafford states they shoul be 14"-16",with a brood muscular chest.
    a long legged stafford is a badly breed stafford,show standard or not
  18. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    wasnt haveing a go chick,just some of the comments by some1 else were utter rubish
  19. spikey

spikey New Member

so you think the dogs in the links of holmes-stafford and elio sunrise are long legged?
  20. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    i would say the dogs in the first link do,just abit,not alot.
    maybe there young dogs and haven't filled out properly yet?!

i dont no how to post links but type in bullhawk staffords in2 google and thats wot i think a good stafford should look like:grin:
    but ofcourse im going to say that,thats serenitys family(thats my stafford):grin:
  21. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    just looked again at the first link
    they look leggy as there IKC registered dogs,to my knowllege they go by different standards to the KC