Staffy with liver problems Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Hightower, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Hightower

Hightower New Member

Name:
    Dan

Staffy with liver problems

Hi all. First post regarding our 9 year old staffy Oscar.

We had a shock yesterday when we noticed a yellowing on the skin, eyes and tongue of our much loved furry friend.

He had lost a bit of weight over the summer and seemed a bit out of sorts but we put that down him being more active over summer and that we had just had a new baby and he was adjusting to not getting ALL the attention he was used to!

Had him in the vets yesterday and been confirmed (unsurprisingly) that his liver isn't functioning as it should. Bloods came back with no other concerns and got further test results to come today and ultrasound on Monday.

I was just wondering if anyone else has/is going through this and any advice in the initial stages regarding diet and excercise and anything ongoing that could be of use to us.

It's heartbreaking to see him so subdued and not his crazy normal self

Any advice or experience of this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sorry to hear about Oscar and hope he will be OK. I am sorry that I cannot give any advice about diet or exercise, but I the following should help.

Denamarin http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/dog/dog-liver-health/denamarin-for-dogs which is only available from vets, or SAMe [S-Adenosyl Methionine] and Milk Thistle [Standardized Silymarin Extract 30:1] both of which can be bought from a Health Store. Denamarin contains both.

Both ingredients help to support the liver and can possibly repair damaged cells.
  4. Hightower

Hightower New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Thankyou
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I gave my epileptic girl quite high human doses of both as she was taking very large doses of Phenobarbitone, which is processed through the liver. Only once were one of her liver values slightly high [she had blood tests every three months] - usually they were spot on in the middle.
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I don't know much about liver problems in dogs or about Denamarin,

When I had my Tibetan Spaniel which is a breed prone to liver problems I always gave her Milk Thistle. I believe in Germany, Milk Thistle is also prescribed for humans suffering from Hepatitis and as a support for liver cancer sufferers.