staffy Behaviour

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Apr 13, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

staffy

so I was on the sofa with blue tonight and every night at the same time he acts weird and trys to hump me . my mum was in the house so I showed her what he was doing she told him to get down and pushed his bum and he went mad growling and trying to bite her , he then ran to the other sofa and did the same thing. I am a little concerned as I've never seen this behaviour off of him . I'm the one who feeds him , walks him he listens to me the most so don't know if it's anything to do with me . He follows me everywhere and will listen to everything I say , but it's only me he keeps humping .
    I do have a little brother whose only 11 so I would not like him to do something like that to him . It seemed aggressive and the growl was very loud .
    any advice would be great ,his still only 6 months so thought that he might just of been testing tonight , but his a very placid dog
    more like an older dog then a puppy in his ways , so very unexpected .
    my mum got very scared of what happened and she found it very worrying , would like to ease her mind .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    katie134 likes this.
    At 6 months, his hormones will be surging, and he probably doesn't fully understand what he is doing, just knows that he likes the sensation and doesn't want to be stopped from doing it. I think I would find a way to distract him, rather than have a confrontation. Perhaps you could encourage him to play with a favourite toy, or take him out into the garden for a few minutes, to give him a chance to forget what was on his mind. If he only does this when you are on the sofa, it might be better if he stayed at floor level.
  4. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thank you carole , yes I think I will remove him from the sofa when his doing this . I've never seen him act like that , even when I tell him off he will bark and pretend bite but he will just nibble me and gives me his paw when he knows his been naughty , but tonight he was not having it . He is my dog as I live with my mum and she's agreed to letting me keep him in her house , so as I do everything for him he is very bonded with me so I think he got angry with my mum for stopping him with what he was trying to do . my mum's worried that he will get possessive over me . He also sometimes grabs onto my leg when I'm walking , or when I'm on the floor he can jump onto my back and his very strong so it can be a bit hard getting him off lol , its weird it's the same time every night never in the day he never act like this .
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It would be advisable to get your Mum and young brother more involved, like grooming, help with feeding, going on walks with you ect: which will help him bond more with them.
  6. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Yeah my mum and brother does , but he is just very taken with me . If I leave the room he won't even sit with them sometimes . I am the one whose with him all day long do this is why and he also sleeps in his crate in my room . He can also be weary sometimes if strangers come up to me , most of the time he will be friendly saying hi and wagging his tail but on rare occasions for no reason I see his hairs go up and he will not say hi to certain people .
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    You need to start taking your dog puppy training/socializing classes. as unfortunately Staffies have a bad reputation with the press & with the new laws that have come into force, its better to have a well socialized friendly dog.

Out of control
    Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:
    makes someone worried that it might injure them
    A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if the following apply:
    the owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

If your dog is showing signs of his hairs going up on his back when strangers are around, at just 6 months old then you need to act now ask your vets or local council for list of training classes in your area.
  8. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    It's not all stranger it was a woman with a camera I don't know if he was scared of the camera , and his gets scared of my uncle who is a massive man in height and size , also weird noises , but indoors his hairs can go up from something as simple as a box if he don't know what it is . Blue is honestly the most loving dog that's why I was so surprised from last night , his a very nervous puppy and I have tyred puppy socalization classes but every time I ring they say it's full up , I have a feeling they don't want staffies as I've been trying before Christmas . At the moment because of his allergies the vets told us to keep him off the grass and that's making it hard to meet other dogs , also because blue is a staff and they have negative press I get a lot if people avoiding him when they see him and a lot people crossing the road so it's very hard . Blue is the most placid puppy I have ever had and I get people thinking his 2 years as they can't be live how well behaved he is so I think he is quite nervous which I try help him with .
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree Tina. Katie has been having trouble finding a training class with a vacancy, but it would be much better if she could have some help with training Blue, and he would benefit a lot from mixing with other dogs in a controlled environment.
    He will now be growing into a strong, heavy dog. It would be much better to get him to a training class now, even if it does mean having to travel, rather than have to correct his behaviour at a later date.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Do you have a petshop near you that notice board advertising training classes, I know that KennelGate pet shop do puppy training class its a 6 week course.

12973380_864178607024523_6771290655477095169_o.png
  11. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I have a kennel Club literally just up the road from me and there the ones who are saying there always busy , apart from that I've been told to go an hour away but I have no car . If I had a car it would be no problem but it's very far for a young puppy. I have being doing my best on my own and I feel very sad that his not mixing with dogs off the lead because of the grass , I let him always meet dogs every day and say hello on the lead , but it's not really the same . It's made everything so difficult I have to bring him on really long walks everyday instead of just letting him run round the park for half an hour .
  12. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I just texted then again , so I'll let you all know what they say . I bet they have no places , Ives been on the waiting list since Xmas so I can't see how they won't . Thank you everyone
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    katie134 likes this.
    Check with your vets as they normally do puppy socializing classes, or contact the KC they might be able to help you.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Puppies go through different stages the important thing is not to let it escalate, but sometimes I think we expect too much from puppies, and read to much into every little reaction, flooding an unsure pup can do more harm than good, so training classes is not always the answer as lots of dogs and people in a small place can be overwhelming for them.

Never try and force him into a situation he’s not happy with. Reward positive interactions so he learns that meeting people means something good.

Not all dogs want to be petted by strangers especially if they put their hand over the head as it can be very intimidating, when you see his hackles starting to rise, in a calm tone of voice say his name, and distract him so he’s not looking directly at the person or just block them by standing between him and them till he’s happy with the situation.

Dogs are usually allergic to grass pollen have you tried him on the grass lately as the pollen is not high this time of year.
  15. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thank you , yes i think your right I do worry too much when things go wrong . I will try calling him next time his hackles go up , it happens every time he meets a dog now but his good with them , and I don't really make a fuss out of him doing it with dogs as it goes back down once his round the dog for long enough.
    I haven't had him on the grass for about 2 weeks , because that was the last time he got a big rash and I brange him back to the vets and she though it was likely to be the grass , so we've just been seeing how it goes . Blue does itch and bite and lick a lot , in places his bite fur off so I'm thinking now it could be something different . We want to have him tested for allegies but it's a lot of money at the moment .His been tested for mange twice because I was concerned it was that but it's come back negative twice , sometimes I think his got into a habit of itching himself , because as I've said his always been quite a nervous puppy for some reason . His been like it since the day we got him .