Standard Schnauzer part of the terrier group now? General Chat

Discussion in 'Schnauzer' started by Kerryowner, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie

Standard Schnauzer part of the terrier group now?

We went to explore a new place today in Suffolk. Wandering round the shops we met a lady who talked to us about Parker and Izzy as she was getting a mini-Schnauzer soon and she thought they were a standard and a mini sized Schnauzer (Izzy is quite petite for a Kerry).

I said no they're Kerry Blues and then surprisingly, as you don't see many, a man came along with a Standard Schnazer-a black one. We were all chatting about the dogs and he said he thought Parker was a Standard Schnauzer and I said no he is a Kerry Blue and they are in different groups, one in terrier group and one in utility.

He then said that his dog was in the terrier group too and I said no they're not they are judged in the utitlity group and definitely not a terrier. He was insistent that his dog was registered with the Kennel Club as a terrier and I said that was impossible and to check on the internet as I was sure that the Standard and Giant Schnauzers were both Utitlity dogs and I thought (though not 100% on this) that the Minis were part of the toy group?

I explained that I thought Schnauzers were classes as terriers by the American Kennel club.

Jamie was annoyed with me as he thought I was being argumentative and should have just dropped it but I couldn't believe that he honestly thought his dog was a terrier!

Strangely enough, on the way back to the car later we met another man with a standard Schnauzer, this time a salt and pepper one, and I asked him and he said they were not terriers! I think there may be a local breeders nearby as I've only seen one standard Schnauzer in many years and then we saw 2 in one afternoon.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
  4. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
  5. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Haha just imagine him when he gets home getting on the internet to check a feeling a right fool :lol:
  6. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I'd like to think so but my husband gave me a hard time as he said I should have just let it drop and not disagreed with him!

Perhaps his dog is American as they are classed as terriers by the AKC I think!