Study Reveals Negative Effects of Sterilization in Goldens and Labs Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Study Reveals Negative Effects of Sterilization in Goldens and Labs

An interesting article that found its way into my inbox:

Full article, which has a clickable link to the research in its entirety here...

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/...ation-in-golden-retrievers-and-labradors.aspx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    This is why the most I will do is a vasectomy but ideally I wouldn't even do that. If a breeder had a spay/neuter contract then I would talk about a vasectomy on my dog, but if they wouldn't accept that then I would look for a different breeder
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Jackie likes this.
    I do prefer my dogs neutered/spayed,
    But I do think that's because of working in rescue home & seeing all the unwanted dogs coming in.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have had Georgina spayed until she was at least two years old. But as she'd already had four operations on her eyes and was due to have a fifth one immediately after her first birthday, when my vet suggested she was spayed at the same time I agreed.

I've decided though that the "new man in our lives" will remain intact unless there's a genuine medical reason for him to be neutered.
  6. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    This is very interesting I've been researching joint disease and early neutering for years I lost my beautiful lab in June and she suffered severe joint disease all her life she was spayed at 6 months it's what was done 12 years ago but I truly believe that early neutering didn't help at all and contributed to her health problems.