Swimming Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by gnr9933, Aug 22, 2016.

1. gnr9933

gnr9933 New Member

Name:
    gnr993

Swimming

Good morning , I'm just looking for some tips to encourage Sam to take the plunge ! He's 5 months old and living in Donegal we are spoilt for choice with beaches .
    I've been gradually introducing him to the water ,and he's very happy to walk in the shallows ( up to his knees / sometimes shoulder) . But he won't go any further and take that final wee step where he would have to paddle / swim .
    I took my older dog ( very hardy 11 yr old border terrier girl) , who swims , along with us hoping he would follow her . But oh no , Sam thought woohoo she's doing it , I'll just stay here on the sand !
    We've all been into the water with him ( husband , me, kids , toys ) to encourage him . I'd just love for him to go for it as I'm sure he'll love the fun not to mention the benefits . Thanks in advance xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JosephV1

JosephV1 New Member

Name:
    Joseph
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    Not all labradors are comfortable in the water. But once they are comfortable, then we cannot keep them out of the water.
    First of all, pick your location. If you have a pool in your home, then it'll be great. It will be better to get a life vest to make the dog feel secured in water. Also, make sure that you get into the water with them. They'll feel more secured if you are with them.
    It seems that your dog is young, so you can pick her and carry into the water and support them evenly underneath to use all four limbs. You can also toys or treats as rewards. Hope these tips will help you..
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    For some reason the original post seems to have been overlooked, so thanks for picking up on it Joseph.
    I am not near the sea, but take my two Beagles to ponds, which are freshwater. We start by throwing floating kibble on to the water, - a few experiments needed here - and gradually extend the distance till their feet leave the bottom. Downside, swans and ducks soon cotton on to the floating kibble, and you may need to relocate.
    As Joseph says, some dogs will never be fully confident in water, one of mine is much happier with one foot on the bottom - like her Mum!