Tail Biting Questions

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Tiffany Horton, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Tiffany Horton

Tiffany Horton New Member

Name:
    Tiffany Horton

Tail Biting

We have an 18-week old Westie named Piper. We love her to death. She's absolutely wonderful. But she has started biting her tail. And I mean, she will bite it and not let go until it is bleeding. She's been doing this really bad since Saturday. I've taken her to two different vets. They say there are nerves shooting to the end of her tail making her bit it. She on a antibiotic, a pill to control nerves and a pain killer. Now an e-collar. I hate to have the collar on or the meds, but I don't know what else to do. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution? Thank yuo!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I take it by e-collar you mean the Elizabethan collar that stops her being able to reach her tail?

Have they said what is causing the 'shooting nerve' problem or given it a name?

It's something I've not heard of before, but I wish you all the very best with her.
  4. Tiffany Horton

Tiffany Horton New Member

Name:
    Tiffany Horton
    Yes, Elizabethan collar. And no, no one seems to know. They said they have seen it in larger dogs and labs, but never smaller dogs. It's so heartbreaking to watch. But at least the collar keeps her from doing it. She just hates the collar. :( But thank you!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just a thought, but did anything happen Friday or Saturday that could have caused her injury?

I take it that the vets want to see her again at the end of the medications if things haven't improved?

It may be worth asking for an x-ray if they don't work.

Another consideration is allergy problems - Westies are renowned for them

I do wish your girl luck. It sounds like whatever is ailing her, it's causing her distress and that is so difficult to watch with any dog, let alone one so young
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Have your vets checked for insect bite/ wasp sting or even a grass seed in tail as these can cause your dog to nibble on her tail.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hope your vet can solve this problem soon. I had a tail chewing problem with an elderly dog last year, so know how difficult this problem is to deal with. They can do so much damage in such a short time. Do you have it bandaged? My dog was much larger, but we used a babies mitten, held on with that VetWrap bandage which sticks to itself. You can then spray that with an aversive, such as Bitter Apple. Tail dressings are not easy, however well you apply them, they slide off around 3 times a day! Sometimes the inflatable collars are less cumbersome for the dog to wear than the cone collars - though occasionally they can still reach the affected part.
    Are you still in touch with Piper's breeder? It's only an offchance, but if they are experienced, they may be able to come up with some breed specific knowledge. I would like to know anyway, if it was a puppy I had reared. Do let us know what the cause turns out to be. Best wishes for Piper's recovery.