Tell Me About Pet Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lovemybull, Dec 5, 2014.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.

Tell Me About Pet Insurance

We have coverage at my job and pet insurance is an option. But is it worth it? I posted a few weeks ago that we saw xrays of Callie's knees. It was $300 and something for that appointment. I'm giving him the anti-inflammatory and have the parts to build a ramp to his chair and to our bed.

But from what the vet said this might be an ongoing problem. He has knees seen in an elderly dog and he's only about 3 years actually. Wear and cartilage damage. They say eventually he might need surgery. He's just kind of limping on his merry way at the moment.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Many insurance companies will exclude pre-existing conditions, so it may be worth looking in to that Opheila.

Generally, I think pet insurance is a good idea :)
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I agree with Azz in that pet insurance is a good idea, but really only when a puppy is young and has not shown any health problems.

And if a puppy or dog then shows health problems, even if you do have pet insurance, many companies will use that health problem to cover any and all future problems that have no connection to the original problem, as an excuse not to pay for treatment.

So to get any type of pet insurance for Callie might be extremely difficult and expensive because you would have to disclose the fact that he has bad knees - which they probably would not cover. They might even use the excuse of his dodgy knees to not pay out on anything else.

Why? Because they could say Oh well, the dog had bad knees therefore the fact that he slippedon ice and broke a leg, or, heaven forfend, was hurt in a RTA - was probably due to his previous condition, ie dodgy knees. Even a nasty cough could, by some insurance companies, be linked to his bad knees.

I had an insurance claim, albeit for a small amount, refused by my then travel insurance when I broke a tooth eating a biscuit while on a short visit back to England. The dentist filled in a form stating that the tooth had broken while eating a biscuit - but my claim was refused because I had an existing problem that had been stated on the insurance policy.

Their get-out was that I was disabled therefore that is why I broke a tooth eating a biscuit.

Insurance companies have to make money. And they make their money by finding out the slightest thing they can, so they say that a pre-existing condition, whether declared or not, caused the problem. And whether it had any connection or not.

If, of course, the pre-existing condition has never been declared, then it is immaterial how much you pay for the insurance because the chances of any insurance company re-imbursing you is as rare as hens' teeth.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Non of my 9 pets (6 dogs & 3 cat) have insurance, they have pet bank accounts, not only is all the money that goes into accounts mine but also the interest, I put in as little or as much as I want each month & can take out when needed for annual boosters, worming treatment, new collars, harnesses, leads & beds, I started the bank accounts up nearly 30 years ago, after my pet insurance tripled in monthly payments because my dogs 2 x GSD's & 2 Rottweiler I had at the time all reached 6 years old.
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Would not be without it, but it is something that should be purchased at the time of getting the dog, as once they have a issue, companies will not cover it.

Know a few people dealing with 10 to 30 grand bills there dealing with. (The bills are for mastiffs though, so for a normal dog with be a fourth of that.)

About the best in US is trupanion other good ones are healthypaws and petplan.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There was no pet insurance here when I adopted Pereg. Come to think of it there was no such thing as pet insurance many years ago in England when I had my Griffons.

I think that a couple of insurance companies here now do offer pet insurance, but of course Pereg would not be covered. Her medication alone costs ~$32.64 every ten days. And that is just her medication. The supplements she needs to support her liver - her medication being processed by the liver, costs about another two dollars every day. And her six monthly blood tests cost ~$400.

My Vet does not charge a consultation fee. He only charges for treatment and for medication [although I do not buy her supplements from him, but from iHerb in California]. But - my Vet will take interest-free payments - and in cases of emergency when someone just does not have the money, he will not charge.

Some time last year a tiny puppy - probably a dumped unwanted one, was hit by a car outside my home. The young man driving the car stopped - I went out and there were a number of other cars all having stopped and people trying to care for this puppy. Do not forget that where I live, many people consider dogs as a throwaway commodity. These people were concerned enough to have stopped and wanted to know what to do.

I gave them Ram's number emergency number, even though it was late at night and the surgery was closed, so it was the emergency number which goes to his home telephone.

He told the young man to take the dog to his surgery as he would go straight there from his home. Tragically he could not save the puppy who he thought died of shock as it had no obvious injuries.. But he did not charge the young man who had hit it.

So - I have no vet insurance for Pereg although she is covered for third party accidents as part of my household contents insurance policy.

But I know that my Vet would treat her in emergencies even if I did not have the money.
  8. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    @Malka
    My vet unlike most will actually do payment plans for people.

Can't post other forum here, but know of 1 case currently where the person grumped about paying close to 500 a year until this year. With insurance 2000 with deductible, without would have been around 32,000. So 2 years and 1000 later plus 2000, means he saved 29,000.
  9. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Well like I said I'll look into it at least. We have MetLife through my job and it seems to cover a variety of things. I just have to investigate. It's good coverage for people dental and prescription coverage, see what the vet stuff covers.