Tell me all about your greyhounds! General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by kammi_sparky123, Nov 24, 2013.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Tell me all about your greyhounds!

This is a breed I had never though about before, until I have just read the most amazing bio of a rescue greyhound!

What are they like to have around?
    Energy levels?
    Temperament?
    Good with other dogs?
    All the usual questions!

Plus pics! Obviously :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    I have only ever had Greyhound Xs but they have been the most placid and loving dogs imaginable.
    They enjoy a mad burst of energy running free and then they will sleep for England and enjoy a warm comfy couch :mrgreen:
    The two I had were good with other dogs and children.
    I loved both of them and would have another in a heart beat.
  4. Imana-Banana

Imana-Banana New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Our old lady was a Saluki cross, she was wonderful, we got her from a rescue centre when she was approx 2 years old and she died last year at approx 16 years.

She loved to have a mad 5 minutes when you where out and she was the most wonderful creature to watch at full speed, truly beautiful but most of the time she just wanted to cuddle on the sofa :)

She was fine with other dogs, loved people and older children, she wasn't too keen on little ones.

The only thing you need to watch is their prey drive and small furries, we had cats and she was fine with them but when she saw a cat outside that was a whole different ball game :twisted:

I would have another in a heartbeat :007:
  5. buglysprince

buglysprince New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    The Greyhound is one of the most gentle natured dogs aggression towards humans from a greyhound is rare.
    Some will get along happily with other dogs and cats whilst others will not and need extra vigilance. With training alot can learn to live happily with other breeds.
    Couch potato is the best way to describe their energy levels as they tend to sleep most of the day zoomies around the garden for a couple of minutes and their pooped.
    excitable when its walk time, they only need 2 short walks a day although love longer ones too. Always there to greet you tails a wagging when you arrive home . My 2 are very happy to be left and not destructive. My bitch tends to be more independent not as cuddly as my dog he will jump up on the sofa and sit on your lap for hugs.
    I am very biased i love Greyhounds and think they are perfect for my family and lifestyle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Lovely pics!
    And they sound like lovely dogs!
    Are they more "fragile" than other breeds?
    My JRT X likes to rough play you see... :lol:
  7. Anniebee

Anniebee New Member

Name:
    Annie
    Are you still on the waiting list for a Vizsla, or have greyhounds stolen your heart?
  8. Imana-Banana

Imana-Banana New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I saw mine hit a tree once at around 20mph, dazed but unhurt. She might have looked fragile but she most certainly wasn't, plus she could out run anything that got too rough :lol:
  9. Imana-Banana

Imana-Banana New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Lovely pictures bugsley :007:
  10. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    I am officially still on the waiting list just now, but it will all depend on circumstances! I hope to be working from home as soon as I can, but it may take a few years longer than the time I plan to move out by, if that makes sense! But it is in case it goes to plan quicker than expected than I will stay on the list. But chances are I will be working out the house full time so won't be getting a puppy as my next dog!

I am more intrigued by greyhounds than I was before, and if I am working full time out of home then I will get someone in with them/drop them off at my parents/get a dog walker in while I am out, but they will still need to be left for a few hours each morning, and possibly in the afternoon also, hence in that situation would be getting an older rescue!

Just looking at options! :D

Oh dear! :lol: at least she wasn't hurt! That does put my mind at ease a little more! :lol:
  11. greyloz

greyloz New Member

Name:
    Loz
    6JRT's and Azz like this.
    We have just taken on another ex racer, we had one before but lost her a couple of years ago, she was very nervy and took along while to settle in but the new girl is alot more easy going and we have had her a month now she was housetrained when we got her and has fitted in great with our small whippet size lurcher. They are so easy going dogs and do not need alot of walking and a race round house or garden for a short while. Just have to watch them at first with small dogs to see how they are.
  12. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    When I was a youngster we had a ex racer from some local retirement place,her name was pinky and was a lovely natured 4yr old golden brindle bitch.they did a quick home visit,which my dad blinded them with his knowledge and thus he handed over a £ 5 for the greyhound coller and lead which came with her.she had the mange and when my dad commented on this they said it was straw rash from her bedding! This was the only greyhound we have had but if anything to go by what a brilliant breed,gentle, didn't want much running but yes, small furries weren't safe,even a small dog would be eyed up if it ran close by!
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That's why I always put Chico the Chihuahua on the lead when I see any greyhound or lurcher type dogs approaching, so they can check him out and realize he's a dog! I'm afraid that if they spot him running in the distance they might mistake him for a rabbit!

Having said that, I never had any worries about small dogs with Gertie, my lurcher.

There are quite a few ex-racers round here - lovely dogs, every single one.
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    There's 2 ex-racing Greyhounds in my Sensible dog walking club, they mix well with all the small dogs in our group, (they are muzzled when off lead) they also live with 4 cats their owners put the cats in a big dog crate & the Greyhounds had couple of sniffs then jumped up on sofa & went to sleep.