Tell Me More About Bad Dog Knees Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lovemybull, Jan 28, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila

Tell Me More About Bad Dog Knees

I'm wondering because either from the cold house, or just typical mellow dog behavior Callie seems to be laying out more than average. Like I posted awhile ago the last vet visit and the x rays very clearly showed bits and damage in the whole area of his knees.
    The vet said for now it's kind of a wait and see sort of diagnosis. But that basically he's a young guy with old dog knees. Now I worry every time I see him struggling. Even stuff like when I let them out back. I try to make sure Sophie gets out the door first.
    It's a back porch and maybe four steps down to the stoop. But Sophie will literally run him over trying to get out if she hears dogs in other yards. That plus his jumping from bed or chair before anyone can lift him...I know it's all a strain if his legs are messed up to begin with.
    We don't have endless resources for vet care. But we'll figure it out to help him. What should I be doing or looking into at this point? Suggestions appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Have you tried cod liver oil?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg does not have bad joints although she sometimes has a minor limp on one front leg when getting up, but she has not been Xrayed and Ram says she has full movement in her joints.

I give her Glucosamine and Chondroiten with MSM, and also Sea Mussel Extract as a precaution as she does tend to rush about at times. Probably I should take them myself as well!

Leslie, have a look at http://www.iherb.com/ as being in the US you will get free delivery over a $20 [that is per order, not per item] I could give you a code for up to $10 off your first order but I am not sure whether it is permitted on Breedia.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I buy Joint Force for £13.99 but they are on offer at moment only £11.89 from VioVet on line, they also have an Facebook page too.

How can Joint Force improve my dog's life?
    Dogs love to be active and mobile so we've developed this superb new supplement - available now to ALL dog owners!
    http://www.viovet.co.uk/Joint_Force_for_Dogs/c23775/
    Why should you move over to Joint Force? Click above to see why!

10620799_10153040260769201_1470772833683556833_n.png
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    We have three steps going down to garden when Kyras back legs got bad OH made a ramp and we stuck a non slip rubber mat to it, I also let her out first then Heiko, as for supplements she got Turmeric, fish oil and Glucosamine tablets .
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I'd recommend giving Callie, MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help his joints. It's a supplement for arthritis sufferers both human and animal. You can buy it from either a pet shop or from a pharmacy. The human supplement is perfectly OK to give to dogs.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Pork1epe1 - it is the human supplements and vitamins that I give Pereg. As I take some of them myself it makes sense to to stick to human products.

They are frequently cheaper than canine specific although contain the same ingredients.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  9. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Now that I think about it I think hubby has all of those supplements among his pill collection. I've got to sit down and sort through what he has, didn't know the human and dogs versions were the same but of course that makes sense.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Let me give you some examples.

I take Ultra Omega-3 Fish Body oil. 500 EPA / 250 DHA. Pereg has Omega-3 Fish Body Oil. 180 EPA / 120 DHA. Same brand - Now Foods. Just different quantities of EPA and DHA.

I take Vitamin E-400iu. Pereg has Vitamin E-200iu. Omega-3 needs to be taken with Vitamin-E in order for it to - I cannot think of the word - function together?

I take Vitamin B complex 50mg. Pereg has 25mg so I cut them in half for her.

I take Vitamin C-1000. Far too much for Pereg so I also buy it in powder form and give her 1/8th of a teaspoon.

All the same products and I do tend to buy Now Foods although I do buy other brands at times - the Milk Thistle and SAMe that she has to help support her liver are different brands, but they are human supplements. Not canine specific.

If they are good and pure enough for me, then they are good and pure enough for Pereg.
  11. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    My math is really bad...so say Callie is about 60lbs?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @lovemybull - Fatso Pereg is around 47lb at the moment - not fat but well overweight due to her condition and medications, so amounts I give her would be suitable for Callie, who obviously would not need some of the supplements I give Pereg [I forgot to list Taurine - again she she has half the amount I have].

Things like Milk Thistle, SAMe and Taurine are to help support her liver, and she has the full adult dose. Those are for her condition so I have not given dosages.

If I went by canine specific dosages of any of the above, including the liver support drugs, given by companies selling products with exactly the same ingredients, going by her weight, there is no way she would get sufficient of the amount her body needs.

The only time one would have to take note of canine specific dosages is when comparing, say, a 5lb Chi and a 300lb Mastiff. The same as a human infant would need a different amount to a 170lb human adult.