Terriers and rabbits Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    6JRT's likes this.

Terriers and rabbits

Hello,

Its been a while but I'm glad to be back. I am wondering if there are any terrier breeds that would NOT go after rabbits? I know many of them were bred to flush out small game and vermin, especially the smaller breeds. Could getting a puppy help this? Just wondering as we still haven't decided on our second dog. It is a very important decision so we are taking our time. Thanks so much!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I have 6 JRT's that live happily with 3 cats, 3 giant rabbits & 4 rats.
    We walk through fields that as wild rabbits running about every day & my 6 just ignore the wild rabbits.
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    6JRT's likes this.
    That is good to know! Did you have to train them to "get along" with the rats and rabbits or did they "know" they are pets and not to bother them? Thanks!
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    My Miniature Schnauzer has no interest in chasing rabbits or searching for vermin. I've had a resident field mouse in my kitchen for months and he hasn't even noticed it's there. Now if that had been my little Tibetan Spaniel she'd have searched everywhere until she'd found and killed it!
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I already had the cats & rats when I got K9 & I had the giant rabbits 2 years ago, I would put my pet rats next to the hooligans from when they were 4 weeks old (pups not rats) so the hooligans just think they are puppies.