Terriers and Terrier crosses in Rescues Discussions

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by Luke, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

Terriers and Terrier crosses in Rescues

Right thought i would post this here instead of on the general board so us that know truly what terriers are like can give our opinions.
    We regularly (sp) go to our local RSPCA and Dogs Trust (formerly NCDL) and drop of bits and pieces, food, toys, blanketts etc etc And over the times ive been i've noticed how many terriers and terrier types there are in the kennels, a friend went recentlly in search of a Springer Spaniel or SS x and she said literally the cages had numerous terriers and terrier x's in them
    SO i ask in your opinion why are terriers a plenty being put in rescue centers?
    My 2 cents worth, people see a little dog and expect a lap dog, something small and easy. WRONG, most of the terrier group and terrier x's may be small but still have the blood flowing through them of a dog that was designed to work X amount of hours out in the fields, on the moor, in the hills etc etc. They were bred to fear nothing, and by any means necesary get the verminous species they desire to kill.
    Many a modern day terrier or terrier x never is used for work, but still when purchased as a pet the owner obviouslly researches the breed and see's how much mental and physical stimulation a terrier needs. Therefore when this sorta dog is expected to be a lapdog, have a quick 5 minute walk around the block, wear doggy clothes and be carried around in a handbag, i think its fare to say that this sort of dog wouldnt re-act well to this. Then when the owner realises they havent got the desired 'accesory' they put them in a rescue home.
    Basically they take on a small'ish dog with the fiery terrier temperament, when the fieryness shows through they dont know whats hit em so put the dog in rescue.

JMO of course, now lets hear yours.........
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. strawboss

strawboss New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Right now in our neck of the woods the pounds are full of pitbull terriers as Ontario has "banned" them, but that's another story, :cry: .

As for people not realizing what they are getting, right on! Our terrier went through 2 families (not counting the breeder) before she came to us at 18 months.

The woman who had her before us tried to "crate train" her which apparently
    consisted of leaving her in a cage while she was at work for 8-9 hours with
    no one to help out, and when she began barking to the point where the neighbours complained, she was fitted with a shock collar.(This story i got from my neighbour who started "dogsitting" Maya.)

I refused the offer of the dog initially. As I so tactfully put it... "the dog's nuts!"
    But having someone at home with a large fenced yard,lots of walks, and camping/fishing trips,she's made progress. 7 years old & still plays like a pup!
  4. ooee

ooee New Member

I suppose it would be the same reason why a lot of breeds, not just terriers, end up in rescue - people buy a dog on impulse and then realize they can't handle the dog or their lifestyle is not suited to owning a dog... :(
  5. Anne-W

Anne-W New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Hi Luke, I agree (in part) with you, I have rehomed a few dogs, and loved everyone. I have never had a JRT before and Millie is a challenge. I think that people do not realize how quick and active smaller breeds are. We are getting on a bit, and when our dear Molly died we thought we would try for a small dog so that we didn't need to walk far. OH has chronic arthritis and I have breathing difficulties. So we got our little Millie. Wow. Were we wrong!!! :roll: Millie loves to run, and is so energetic. Luckily we got Patch, and athough we walk them as far as possible twice each day, they have a lovely big garden to play in and wear each other out. :grin:
    So I do believe that some people do not realise just how much attention small dogs need, :roll: in a lot of cases more than the larger dogs.
    Regards, :grin:
    AnneXX
  6. strawboss

strawboss New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Hi Anne, I don't think you were wrong, or made a poor choice at all taking Millie on! She keeps the two of you on your toes I'm sure, and you got her a playmate to keep her occupied when she's up for it & you're not....but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the walks you share twice a day can only do you and your OH good ,as is the exersize from the daily household tasks with 2 such dogs, keep it up!:grin:
  7. Anne-W

Anne-W New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Hi Luke, I agree absolutely. The good thing also is, that if we are unable to manage to take them out any day (happens rarely) we know they can run out in the garden. They are very good. When it has happened they get extra the next day, if we can.
    We are lucky and Love them to bits.
    AnneXX