Tinned dog food Diet

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.

Tinned dog food

Pereg is raw fed but I always keep some tins of good quality dog food to exchange for the usual 50g of raw meat/fish she has in her first meal. Not the whole tin of course - a tin lasts for three days as a part of that replacement, and the tin is OK in the refrigerator so I can give part to her every other day, once it is opened.

Just as I keep some tins of emergency things for myself, for when I really do not have the energy to even think of proper food, the latest one being a tin of goulash which is very tasty, half a tin plus a load of veggies chucked in a pan plus some soup makes a good, quick, and easy meal.

I have just enjoyed a large bowl of soup [made in the soup maker], a goodly handful of defrosted mixed frozen vegetables, and the remaining half of the tin of goulash. And very tasty it was too.

Only I have just noticed that it was not goulash that I added to the pan - it was tinned dog food. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Should I start barking now? :confused:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Malka dog food manufacturers pay good money for people to eat their dog food.
    Last time they advertised for dog food eaters they were paying £20 per hour not sure how much that is in your money.

I have given pedigree chunks beef flavor dog food to my 3 men before, as I didn't have enough meat for the stew I was making, they never knew & they went for seconds. x
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    That is OK then Tina, as there was enough left for a good meal for me tomorrow and I would hate to throw it out - want not waste not etc - and I could not have given it to Pereg as the soup was made yesterday in the soup maker from small frozen onions, rather tatty tomatoes, and some other veggies that were on their last legs but still too good to chuck. That soup maker is worth its weight in gold!

The onions were an accident. I had asked Avner to please get me either a catering size bag or three regular size bags of frozen mixed stew/casserole vegetables. Hai at the macolet sells bags of various frozen vegetables but not the stew/casserole mix and I want these for both myself and for Pereg. But Avner got a different brand which included onions, and of course onions are a no-no for dogs, so I put all the small white whole onions in a separate container each time I opened a bag for some for Pereg.

And then I thought I really ought to do something with them, so defrosted them and yesterday chucked in the soup maker with the other stuff. And some salt-free chicken flavour soup powder. And a pinch of this, a pinch or that, a sprinkle of this and a sprinkle of that. Switched on and thought or it will be great or it will be bleuh but it was yummy yummy yummy.

So as that thick creamy [puréed as against with cream in it] soup which was the base was mostly onions with extra veggies and "goulash", I either finish the rest of it tomorrow, or chuck it.

Not sure really whether I would enjoy it so much knowing that it was made with d-o-g food though. :101:
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Well look at it this way if its good enough for Pereg to eat then its got to be good enough for you to eat.
    Oh by the way I am vegetarian, never ever eaten meat so not sure what meat taste like or your "soup" but if yummy them finish soup off xxxx
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    My soups are always all parve [pareve] ie made with no milk or meat - the chicken-flavoured soup powder is parve and very useful to add to veggie soups for a bit of extra flavouring.

I had made enough actual soup to freeze some but that which the "goulash that was not" went into was enough for today and tomorrow.

And somehow I honestly cannot see myself eating it again knowing that the "goulash that was not" that is in it is actually d-o-g food...

Thinking about what you said, even though I know you are a vegetarian I still cannot believe you knowingly put Pedigree chunks beef flavour dog food into stew you were making for your men Tina.

Although on second thoughts... :044: :044: :044: :044: :044:
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Well it was like this Malka at the time I had 2 Rottweiler's & I use to feed them tin dog food with mixer, anyway I started peeling & chopping the veg for the stew, then put on stove to cook & I got the stewing meat out of fridge I realised I needed at least another lb of meat for my men to have plenty of meat, so I thought feed the dogs first then go butchers (back in days when butchers where in every high street) so I opened up an giant size tin of pedigree & a lightbulb went up in my head :115: instead of going to butchers why not use a tin or 2 of dog food, (did have 2 sorry looking dogs when they realised they were not getting 3 tins of food) well it looked like stewing meat & smelt like stewing meat, so thought why not & emptied 2 giant tins into stockpot along with the fresh stewing meat, my men loved the stew said it was best ever, even took some to work with them the next day. :096:
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    ...and of course you, being vegetarian, were not going to eat any of the stew, were you...

By the way Tina, did you ever tell your men what you had done? :rolleyes:
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC and Malka like this.

I had just veggie stew & herb dumplings Malka.
    As for my men I told them I used tin meat as didn't have enough fresh meat, I just might of left the dog bit out when I told them heeeee xxx
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Well I supposed that was the truth, albeit by the omission of the d-o-g word! :081:

But much as I hate waste, I have realised that there is just no way I will be able to eat the rest of that meal tomorrow, delicious though it was. :(
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka likes this.
    Can't you pick the onions out & give the soup to Pereg
    Well pick the veg/meat out might be better xx
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    @Malka My two have had onions, (small quantity), in left over veggie stew and curries on lots of occasions. It has never caused any problem. I know you are understandably cautious with Pereg's diet, but I would wouldn't waste a good nutritious stew for the sake of a few onions.
    @6JRT's You really are a ray of sunshine, but I hope your men never read these threads!
  13. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Malka likes this.
    Don't know about other countries, but in the US you are cautioned not to eat pet food. The only brand I've ever heard of that you can eat is Paul Newman brand and it is clearly marked that it's o.k. for human consumption. I use pedigree canned food and it smells really good as does the beneful brand, but I'm not going to eat it myself.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tina - the unjuns had gone in the soup-maker [wiv uvver stuff] so were well chombled, and trying to pick out meat and veggies? I mean it is a good suggestion, ta, but an impossible thing in practice. :(

Far too many onions puréed in the original soup. :089:

@6JRT's You really are a ray of sunshine, but I hope your men never read these threads![/QUOTE]

I agree with you 200% on both the above statements!

All imported pet food and treats [this was from Italy], whether it be in tins, as kibble, or as treats, have to be checked [and checked again] by both the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Health. I used to work for a company importing medication [both prescription and OTC] - also things as varied as toothbrushes, condoms [condoms then only being able to be purchased from behind the pharmacist's counter and not where they could just be picked up and taken to a checkout - one day I might even tell you all a story of some of the hysterical things that happened regarding our import of condoms!]

And anything and everything which was designated as food or medication, whether for animals or not, had to be fit for human consumption.

I worked in the import section and believe me, our MoH could and would take up to five years before approving a medication which was a staple of the US FDA.

I know this delumptious meal was fit for human consumption - I just could not bring myself to keep the portion I had planned on for today's meal. But I will not starve - I took a container of the same soup out of the freezer yesterday evening, ditto one of cooked chicken and mixed pulses, and will heat them up [wiv sum more veg] for today. And tomorrow probably. :D
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    OMG!!! Is all I can say, I wonder how it would even enter anyones head to add dog food to a stew :shock:
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    In my case Jackie it was an accident. I did not have my spectacles on, both tins were half-full with a lid on - both tins had red labels...

...and I picked up the wrong one. :102:
  17. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    @Malka What are pulses? Or is the word a misprint?
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  19. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka likes this.

You be surprise what enters my head Jackie :D
  20. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Manydogz Pulses are bean like veg, which include lentils, chickpeas and dry peas, are increasingly being recognized for their role in promoting good health. Making pulses a regular part of your diet may reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers

af102f71-7ed1-4673-89a3-5f0b3e4d1b30.png
    images5.jpg images90GHQMLW.jpg
    images.jpg
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @6JRT's - Tina, Wikipedia gives a list of pulses as in the link in my post #17 above. I use all sorts of them, soaked overnight and then cooked in a slow cooker. Cooking in bulk means I can freeze either in portion size containers, or open freeze then bag so I just take a handful or three out at a time.

Some, like butter beans, I always cook separately, but some I mix up. I did start using a pressure cooker to cook them but find it easier now to use a slow cooker - which can be on Low for 24 hours if necessary [definitely overnight] - without worrying about them.

Red lentils do not need pre-soaking and cook quickly in soups and stews, as as you are a veggie you would, of course, know that! :)