Today's visit to the Vet with Witty Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Janet, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Today's visit to the Vet with Witty

Witty went to the Vet today to review his medication (he has a heart murmur).

The Vet is beginning to think we might be dealing with two separate issues - he is wondering if the cough we assumed was heart related might be some kind of bronchial infection. He's putting him on prednicare to see if that makes a difference.

Last time he went they said that, in view of his age, it might be an idea to take a urine sample just to check his kidneys are OK. All was well in that department, but the Vet was a bit mystified as the urine is very alkaline. Not sure what has caused that!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The information in the following website might help regarding his urine results, as I do not know anything about urine analysis:

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/canineurineanalysis.htm

Incidentally, do not forget the Webinar on heart murmurs next Wednesday, although they will send a reminder email beforehand.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

A high urine pH may be due to:Urinary tract infection or Kidney stones
    A low urine pH may be due to:Diabetic ketoacidosis
    A diet high in vegetables, or dairy products can increase your urine pH.
    A diet high in meat products can decrease your urine pH.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I wonder if Acid reflux (gastroesophageal reflux disease) could be causing both issues?
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Many thanks for that very interesting website. I wouldn't have thought his diet was particularly high carbohydrate. Perhaps it's been caused by the medication. I'll take another urine sample next time I go and see if it's still high - though the vet said it wasn't anything to worry about.

I've got the seminar marked in my diary! I'm looking forward to it.
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    I shall certainly mention that to the Vet - he is always open to suggestions. He'll be seeing the vet in a couple of weeks for more medication, but he wants me to call in or phone him in a week to report on how he's doing, so I could ask him then. Many thanks for the suggestion.
  8. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Strangely enough, when we were in England early last year Sashi my cat developed a cough which I thought was due to fur balls. Once we got back home in July the cough disappeared and she was fine until just before Christmas when the cough came back. I took her to the vet who after examining her told me she had a bronchial infection which took two lots of antibiotics to clear it up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That's interesting. I hope it turns out to be something which can be cleared up by antiobiotics.

My husband is convinced it must be like fur balls, because every night without fail Witty 'pins down' (or so he thinks) Pepe the standard poodle and proceeds to wash him very thoroughly - it goes on for ages and Pepe just lies back and enjoys it. But I can't see that it can be that - poodles don't moult so I don't see how he can be swallowing any hair.

We'll get to the bottom of it eventually!