Toilet trouble Training

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Sammy3874, May 9, 2018.

1. Sammy3874

Sammy3874 New Member

Name:
    Sammy

Toilet trouble

Hi everyone I'm Sammy I'm new here so I thorught I'd say hi . I have a 12 wk old jrt called teddy . He's a bundle of fun and coming on well the only problem we are having is with toilet training I think I'm doing everything right taking him out as soon as he wakes in the morning after food or drink and after play time and on the odd time he has managed to have a wee outside I prayes him lime a mad woman and give him a treat but most times we can be out thier for up to 30mins and he will sniff about but do nothing then with in 2 mins of been back In the house he does it on the floor !!!! And I clean it up with out making any fuss. Just don't know what I'm doing wrong I know he's still very young and maybe I just need to relaxe and just let it happen in its own time . Any advice would be very gratefully received .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave, Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Oh the joys of toilet training!

Yes you are doing things right. If you can though, try to stay outside until he actually goes so that you are consistent and he will get the message sooner.

Another trick to try, is to take him out and wait a while and if he hasn't been while out, count to thirty and try again.

You could also try to make a small area in your garden that he can hide behind to 'do his stuff'. Young pups are often more worried about toileting outside than we realise and creating a private place where he can hide to squat may do the trick

Good luck! xx
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    There is nothing worth standing about waiting for a dog to go to the loo, time seems to go so slowly, especially if the weather is bad ! That’s all basic potty train is about ....time, think about it, we don’t go on command !
    You sound as if you are doing everything right, just how we did it, so when you are out there wait, wait & wait
    Dogs often pee In the same area, so, when he next pees in the house try to soak it up and rub it around into a “ private “ area of your garden, encourage him over ther and it may just do the trick
    Let us know when you see some improvement, trust me you will, it doesn’t go on for ever !
  5. Sammy3874

Sammy3874 New Member

Name:
    Sammy
    Thanks for all the advice I will sertenly give it all a go :)
  6. Rubin_James

Rubin_James New Member

Name:
    V
    Hi. Our 15 week old went through that phase at about the same time and then started to "get it". Hang in there.
  7. Chansey Lee Shih Tzu

Chansey Lee Shih Tzu New Member

Name:
    ChanseyLeeShihTzu

Hi, I had the same problem before I hope this video can help you
  8. Craig Hill

Craig Hill New Member

Name:
    Ruby

Ha Ha, mine is 13-14 weeks and I have been having the same issues. One thing I have seemed to notice is that if we actually walk... she seems to go quicker. That may help. Just this past weekend, I dealt with a new one... rain. She doesn't like to go when it's raining when in her mind, she can just run back in and go in the back bedroom, lol. I'm doing it about the same way as you and from all I read, we are doing it right. I did try an umbrella over her the second day of rain and she went then. This was after me declaring we would stand out there till she went in the rain... until she started yelping as if I was beating her or something, ha ha, then I gave in.