Tom Hagan of Crow Creek Kennel German Shorthaired Pointers is an **** orifice. General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Monty Ritter, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Monty Ritter

Monty Ritter New Member

Name:
    Monty Ritter

Tom Hagan of Crow Creek Kennel German Shorthaired Pointers is an **** orifice.

I contacted Crow Creek Kennels German Shorthaired Pointers in July 2019 about purchasing a male puppy from them. They had a male puppy on their web-site that I was interested in, and the puppy was still available.

I live in Tennessee and Crow Creek Kennels German Shorthaired Pointers is in Minnesota. The owner of Crow Creek Kennel, Tom Hagan, stated that he has a son who lives in Georgia, and that he would be driving to Georgia in August 2019 for a visit. He stated that he would bring the puppy to me on his way down to Georgia free of charge since he was coming down anyway. He said that he comes to visit his son approximately five times per year. I agreed with this, and we met in Crossville Tennessee on August 27, 2019 and I received the puppy from him.

About a week later I contacted Tom Hagan and stated that I would be interested in purchasing a female puppy from him from one of his future litters. He stated that a female by the name of Rhudee would be coming into heat in October 2019, and that he would breed her to a dog named Domino. I agreed to purchase a female from this litter. Tom Hagan stated that the puppy would probably be born sometime in December. He stated that he would be coming to Georgia sometime in February 2020 to visit his son, and he would deliver the puppy to me on his way there. He said that there would be no charge for delivering the puppy since he was coming to Georgia anyway.

I called Tom Hagan in October 2019 to see if Rhudee had come into heat. He stated that she was just coming in to heat and that his wife (Carla) would be driving to Georgia to pick up Domino and bring him back to Minnesota to breed to Rhudee.

I called Tom Hagan in late November, 2019 to ask if Rhudee had been successfully bred. He did not return my phone call.

On December 12, 2019 Tom Hagan called me and said that the litter had been born about a week earlier. I asked him if there would be any charge for him delivering the puppy to me. He said that there would be no charge because he was coming to Georgia anyway. I told him that I would send him a $250 deposit for the puppy. I sent this money approximately two days later.

On December 23 2019 Tom Hagan sent a text to me stating that he had received the deposit that I had sent him. The text stated "got your check was here when I got home". Tom Hagan had now fleeced me for $250.

On January 25, 2020 Tom Hagan's wife Carla sent a text to me from phone number (removed). The text read as follows:

"Hi Monty, This is Carla with Crow Creek Kennel. The Rhudee/Domino pups are 7 weeks old today and almost ready to go to their new homes. Tom asked me to contact you regarding getting your female. If he needs to transport her to you he will need $250. It would also need to be a date when he is able to get away from work. Is that how you would like to handle it?"

I read this text at approximately 10:33 am my time. I immediately called Tom Hagan at (removed) but he did not answer. I then called his wife at the number I stated above. I told her I would pass on the puppy. I did not stay on the line.

At 10:46 am my time she sent the following text to me: "Tom will get you your deposit back".

At 12:26 pm my time I received the following text from Tom Hagan: "no puppy, that's ok I will send money back don't feel it's a good fit anyway"

Well, you guessed it. As of today (February 25, 2020), I have not received any money from Tom Hagan.

I sent an e-mail to him approximately 2 weeks ago giving him my mailing address so he could send the money back to me. However, I have not heard from him.

I will post every month from here on out letting everyone know if this situation has been satisfactorily resolved and any written or verbal contact that I receive from Tom or Carla Hagan.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Reported.
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Most breeders I know of say that deposits are non refundable. They are basically a percentage of a costly dog to ensure that buyers are not wasting the breeders time.

This story is missing parts. With the first puppy... Did you send a $250 deposit and everything went exactly the same? Seems like the transactions went differently.

To me this sounds like a breeder that, for whatever reason, really did not want to sell you another puppy. Perhaps they are just a scammer, but something doesn't seem completely put together here.

EDIT:

Did some research. On his site, much like most breeders I know... It does say that any deposit made on a puppy is non refundable. You passed on the puppy because they asked for an additional fee. Did you try to negotiate and see why they asked for the fee when they did not ask for it last time?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. Monty Ritter

Monty Ritter New Member

Name:
    Monty Ritter
    Even though our negotiations and resulting contract were completely verbal, I considered them concluded when I sent him the $250 deposit for the puppy. I considered it to be completely unreasonable for him to say that he required an additional $250 fee for gas money so he could drive to his son's house at my expense. This $250 fee was completely unreasonable and dishonest.

If he really did not want to sell another puppy to me, the honest thing to do would be to send my deposit back after he breached our contract.. I do not believe that the honest thing for him to do would be to change our agreement for free delivery of the puppy, and then keep my deposit after if refused to pay it. My passing on the puppy was in fact my refusal to pay the extra $250 delivery fee.
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Rather than passing on the puppy and then hanging up (you said you didn't stay on the line after doing so), a better option would have been to discuss why they changed and added fees that they initially claimed would not be there. There may have been a resolution you guys could have come up with.

You did not say that you were told the $250 was for gas in the initial story, merely that she asked you for it. Maybe he ended up not being able to come down like normal. Maybe he and his son had a fall out and he DECIDED not to come down. You aren't sure WHY they changed up and you didn't bother to ask, which to me is problematic.

They considered you done when you ended things the way you did, and then they probably simply didn't want to refund your money because of how you acted. They also knew they didn't have to. Sure it is a sorry thing for them to do, but I doubt they care.

When someone has your money, especially when you have no way to get it back if they decide not to give it back... it is better to be cordial than rude... Even if things are going south.

When you basically said NEVERMIND without trying to explain why or ask them any questions, they really did not even have to engage you further at all. Your deposit is already non refundable. Verbal agreements like this are problematic for exactly this reason.

With all that said, unfortunately you have no real recourse here. I doubt he ever returns your calls or money.