Training for walks Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Margo8478, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478

Training for walks

I have been taking Max on little walks down the street to get him use to the outside, noises, seeing people etc...Took him out today with my other puppy Phoebe cause she is very mellow and good natured and good on walks so I figured it would be good to take them together. But the minute I open the door Max goes bonkers, jumping around, zig zagging, sniffing everything, and at one point trying to jump on Phoebe to play as we walk....he’s manic lol. Anyway now that he is used to the sights and sounds of the outside world I need to train him to heel and listen while on a lead. I keep treats on me and he will sit for me out on a walk when he sees my hand go in my pocket, but he doesnt really listen otherwise. I know he is a super young puppy and is just having fun but before he gets bigger I need him to relax and get him leash trained before he gets really big and hard to handle. Looking for any tips and tricks. He is just so entertained with the outside world and wants to run around and be a puppy. I want him to have fun but listen and walk by my side or at least in a controlled manner.

Thanks for any tips/advice :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Look up Stonnie Dennis and Michael Ellis videos on Youtube.
    Stonnie Dennis ,Knows dogs, explains things in easy to understand ways. Good common sense dog training, he is even kinda entertaining at times.

Raising Your Puppy with Michael Ellis covers a lot of the basics and is a good starter video for new owners/trainers.

It would also be a good idea to join obedience classes as they can see how you are doing with him and make suggestions of what might work best for you.
  4. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Thank you I will check those videos out!

He is to young for obedience classes right now, he’s 3 months old but once he is 4 months and has had all his shots I’ll be signing him up. Thanks!