Trying to find out what she is mixed with Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Dogmomx2, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Dogmomx2

Dogmomx2 New Member

Name:
    Julie

Trying to find out what she is mixed with

Hi all! I'm new to the site. We took in a hound mix two days ago from a family that was rehoming her due to having a newborn.
    She has vet paperwork for the year they had her. (She is two.. They got her from the humane society who had gotten her out of the animal shelter so no clue about her life before that point but we are her last stop:) ) the papers say shepherd hound mix, and the previous owner who we got her from said Carolina dog and hound mix. I will probably do the dna test at some point but would love everyone's opinions because I really want to find out what she is so we can know more about what she needs:) thanks!! 20180318_102059.jpg 20180318_102118.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Dogmomx2 and GsdSlave like this.
    Only a guess, I would love to see your DNA results.
    In the UK, I think we would describe her as a Lurcher. Her colour, fine coat and skin, long curved loin, and the length of leg, all suggest a Greyhound parent to me. The heavy ear and ticking on her right hand leg might indicate some scenthound breeding, - but there could easily be more than two breeds in the mix, and Collies are often crossed with hounds. We don't have Carolina dogs over here, but I understand that they are Dingo-like, and don't see that look about her.
    I love her gentle expression, and I'm guessing that she will have a good turn of speed. I'm glad she has found a caring home with you, and will turn out to be all you want her to be.
    It will be interesting to see what others see in those photos.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Dogmomx2 likes this.
    She has beautiful eyes, and as you say @CaroleC, a very gentle expression. At first glance her head reminded me of your Beagles, although with smaller ears.

Her body shape, with the deepish chest and high tuck is Tikva's shape, although Tikki of course is much smaller.
  5. Dogmomx2

Dogmomx2 New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Oh she's crazy fast. She got away from me our second day and was down our road in a horse fence in less than 5 minutes. I'm much more cautious outside with her now since I know she flies lol. She's extremely calm and quiet except playful and somewhat bossy with our lab puppy. I could see collie somewhere in there, I definitely think her parents were both mixed breeds too. The little spots are what I can't figure out lol I think for sure we'll need the dna sometime:)
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Dogmomx2 likes this.
    could possibly be some suluki in there.
  7. Dogmomx2

Dogmomx2 New Member

Name:
    Julie
    I didn't know what this was but I looked it up and her tail does look similar.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Dogmomx2 likes this.
    Hmmm I'm really not sure what I see. Maybe sighthound as others have said. Would really like to see DNA results when you get them.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Irrespective of her breed/breed mix, I think that her harness is a wee bit tight over her back as it looks as if it is digging in a bit.

Tikva wears a similar style harness and I make sure I can get four fingers underneath both the back/chest and the front of it.
  10. Dogmomx2

Dogmomx2 New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    That was something the previous owner had on her, we took it off about the third day we had her bc I thought it was unnecessary.:)
  11. Dogmomx2

Dogmomx2 New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Side note but I feel like she's too skinny. Or even if she's not she barely eats. They had her cheap food, which we were also using the same brand but the puppy version for our lab mix and he didn't eat it much either. So we bought her a grain free something another, I can't remember the name right now, but again she ate half of it last night and then today eats a small bit but certainly not the 3 cups a day that they suggest. Is there a certain food these types of dogs like does anyone know?
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If she is a Greyhound cross, you might find it hard to get much weight on her. That type just aren't designed to be podgy. I like my dogs to look fit, but not too lean, and fed my Lurchers on a grain free kibble, with a little lightly stewed veg, and approx.100gms of wet tray food mixed in as an appetizer. They stayed fit well into old age, and I have carried on using a similar feeding method for my Beagles, who are now almost 9 and 10 years old and still in work.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Skinny? Your lovely girl might be slim to your eyes, but she is definitely not skinny. Not like Tikva who definitely is skinny but very healthy. However she is raw fed and AFAIK most raw fed dogs tend to be on the slim side, and Tikki definitely has a well balanced diet, with added vitamins and supplements to make sure of that.

Ram, my wonderful vet, will be here on Monday or Tuesday for her Parkworm shot, and he will weigh her then [he needs her weight to know how much of the shot he needs to draw from the ampoule] and give her a good check over. Even though he does not sell dog food, he - like most vets - was never taught about raw feeding, so he always wants Tikki to gain weight, although he does admit that she is healthy as she is.

A small dog who can take a flying leap onto my extra high bed from 2m away, and who has rock hard muscles - so she is skinny, but better than being obese.