Ukraine Discussions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by CaroleC, Feb 26, 2022.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Ukraine

Screenshot_20220226-225931_kindlephoto-997455451.png Russian and the Ukrainian dog breeders meet regularly at shows. They form close friendships, and their dogs share similar bloodlines, - as do those of breeders worldwide. These days people have a closer relationship to those that share their cultural standards and interests than they have to anyone who may govern of area that they live in. What difference do lines on a map make to people who laugh together, use each others stud dogs, and exchange photos of their latest litter of puppies?
    Friendship is international. War is an outmoded concept.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    It's a war that should never have happened. The people of Russia don't seem to want it and the Ukrainians certainly don't. Putin should be ashamed
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is sad to see so many people leaving everything to try to get themselves and their pets to safety. Carrying cats and puppies in their arms? I don't know how you even contemplate making a journey like that. Food is now short for those who have chosen to stay. I read that one breeder with 16 dogs is already feeding porridge.
    This is such a stupid and unnecessary war.
  5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Good idea to stockpile extra dog food for all dog owners everywhere anyway and don’t rely on ‘hand to mouth ‘ or the ‘just in time’ modern supermarket delivery systems . They are not prepared for disaster.

a large bag of dry dog food 20 kg is only about 20$ here for the cheap brand.

no excuse for a starving dog here for me at least . Don't know the porridge ladies circumstances of course .

I always have surplus , could not imagine not being able to feed them .

does not need to be the expensive stuff , just needs to do the job in an emergency , if they are hungry they will eat it . No probs there.

As for the war , its moving fast , these things will effect everyones prices globally like grains , energy , oil , fertilizer , stock markets and inflation .

buy yourself a giant lot of rice and flour and poke it up the back of the cupboard too for you all , including 4 leggeds if need be .

least you wont be old mother hubbard .

the older folks who have seen hard times before wont need to be told these things .
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Helidale likes this.
    I don’t believe Putin has any shame.

I’m mildly bothered that he has an Akita
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    He has an akita because he's got the "I am a loser and need a macho dog because I have nothing between my legs" syndrome. Fortunately, akitas don't tend to fit the "macho dog" stereotype as they mostly like people.
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    I should be sleeping, and I was, but I woke up and decided to check the news. I found a whole bunch of photos of people with their pets fleeing Ukrainian.

Putin has the army firing on a nuclear power plant. The man has completely lost all his marbles. He’s killing civilians, his own troops are dying, over what? I’m so sad for the Ukrainian people being put through this. It’s senseless.

This on top of covid for the last two years. I’m feeling very anxious about what the future holds.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes I was lying awake when the news of the firing on the nuclear power station broke. They said that fire had broken out and that levels of contamination were beginning to rise. By morning the fire was out and there was no further talk of radiation. One of the radio presenters, interviewing a British husband fighting for Ukraine, asked what they were short of, the reply was radiation monitors.
    Our best hope is that more of the Russian troops will realise that they are not defending the Ukrainians, and withdraw from the fighting.
    So sad, so needless. How have we let the ego one man become so dominant - again.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    A needless, pointless, unnecessary war that benefits no one but destroys lives :(
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh well, it seems that there was no escape of radiation. The fire was in an administrative building. A useful reminder of what could happen though.
    Anyone remember being scared of Covid?
  12. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    I live less than 100 kms from the Ukraine border, so this war is very much a reality to me. I have friends who regularly transport food and necessary items to the Hungarian/Ukraine border. Another friend who lives in Czechia regularly travels to Ukraine with dog/cat food to be distributed to shelters and breeders. Last year she brought out litter of Shar-Pei puppies bred by a breeder friend of hers and found homes for them throughout the EU.

Just recently my Schnauzers breeder has been trying to find accomodation in Hungary for a Ukrainian breeder friend of his and her 20 dogs, who's home in Kherson was uninhabitable due to breaching of the Kakhovka dam. Unfortunately, stockpiling rice or flour is pretty useless when your home is under 3 feet of water.

As there's not much I can do physically to help I've been spending my time buying toiletries, dried goods and items I think might be useful. And last winter was spent knitting beanies and baby blankets to keep little Ukranian souls warm.

DSC00471.JPG