Uses for 1 acre field eg agility/ free running Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by ndidi, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ndidi

ndidi New Member

Name:
    sally

Uses for 1 acre field eg agility/ free running

Hi
    Sorry if the title isn't very helpful but I couldn't find a better way to phrase it. So do change it if you think it would help.

My parent live in a small holding with agricultural tie and they are looking for way to earn some money from the property. They have to make some money from their property due to the tie. They have got a field which is about an acre and so as I am a dog lover I suggested letting it out for agility and possibly for people who wanted to hire it out for an hour or so as they wanted to exercise their dogs. As I see on here some people looking for space top exercise dogs who for what ever reason can't be let off somewhere which isn't enclosed.

Anyway onto my question.

What would the be able to charge for the agility and for hiring the field out for dog user?

What other dog things could the field used for?

Also they can only use the field for 28 days a year so once a week for 28 weeks?

They live near Bicester (UK). If that helps and there is lots of room for parking.

If you have any other idea for what could be done with the field. Or any questions just ask

thanks for your help

Sally
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    There's a farmer near me that hires out one of his secure fields to dog walkers, for a fee of £1 per hour per walker/family which is for the key to gate, there is also an annual fee of £10 per family. [only one walker/family allowed in at any one time unless you have gone in a group then as long as each person pays their £1 fee the famer is happy to hand out the key]
    The fee's cover the upkeep of the fencing & cutting of the grass.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Unless you already have agility equipment to hand, then it's not cost effective to use for that purpose unless there is a really high demand.

An exercise field would need to be very securely fenced for dog owners to be interested.

You are quite limited in that you only have 28 days available. However, another thought is to hire out to a local dog trainer who may be interested in setting up some outdoor training?
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Think this could put a lot of people off, especially Agility Clubs ect.
    Plus I believe you’d need public liability insurance in case someone or their dog got hurt if people are paying?
    I think it would be good for people training recall or who can’t let there dogs off lead, but I doubt it would bring in much money.
  6. ndidi

ndidi New Member

Name:
    sally
    So if it wasn't restricted to 28 days what could they charge. I don't think the would mind the equipment being stored in the field.For agility or how could we find out of anyone wants to train in the field.

Also what else could they do with it to earn some money. They don't mind fencing it securely as I said it would need to be secure for dog walkers to use it.
    They don't have to make enough to live off they just have to be making some money with the land for the agricultural tie.

Also slightly off topic but I hope it is OK to ask. They are planning on redoing one of the barns and using it as a large room which they could let out too people for meeting or to have birthday's in. So far I have said the elderly could use it and people with special needs as a meeting area. Different kind of groups could as well. Kind of like how you could rent out the village hall. Also there would be a veranda which would be covered and give them access into a walled lawn/garden area. I would also have a loo/changing area and disabled access

So at the moment my parent and my family are looking for all sorts of ideas so if you can think of any people who might want to have a place too meet or a field do let me know all idea are welcome and very much appreciated.

I don't think they are too bothered about how much it earns at the moment as both work but it would be nice if it earned enough to help them should either have to retire.

thanks for all your help and your replies. I am in charge of market research with regards to dog things and animal uses, and I thought it would be good to ask about the barn too.

They also have a poly tunnel with they grow veg in to sell at the local shop and my dad is currently building a green house to grow more stuff in.

Sally
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Firstly, they need to check out the insurance angle for any venture they decide on. As owners of the land, it's important they know what they are responsible for.

When I last had a field (10 years ago now) for training, I used to let others use the agility equipment in a separate part to the class and puppy training and charged £5 an hour. I would imagine you could double that now. I also imagine that dog walkers would be happy to pay a similar amount to be able to let their dogs off lead in a safe area