Vitamins and supplements Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katygeorge, Feb 24, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Vitamins and supplements

Hello

Now that Phoebe is getting on a bit i want to try giving her a multivitamin. The food i use is Skinners large bite. Not really by choice but its the only food in my price range that seams to keep her skin problems at a level i can control with bathing. She already has cod liver oil, raspberry leaf extract (for her incontinence) and acidophilus (helps manage her skin problem).

Can anybody recommend a good multivitamin??
    Ive looked online at a few but then realised there are a lot and i dont understand enough about this kind of thing to decide which are worth taking and which are not.
    Any help would be appreciated
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Katy - I was going to suggest cod liver oil as that's good for joints in older dogs, but I see you got that covered already :)

Have you thought about any fermented foods, such as homemade sauerkraut? It is the best probiotic your dog (and you) can have!

Don't buy it from the shops tho - it is pasteurised and all the good bacteria removed, if anything, store bought (non-raw) sauerkraut is probably bad for you.
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Oh my nans russian im sure she will make me some. I personally wont be eating it as me and veg are only facebook friends
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Lol :lol: you should eat your veggies :p

Have you tried Kefir? You should get some recipes of your Nan - does she make Kvass too? :D
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    katygeorge and Bonni like this.
    I give my two SF-50 which contains multivitamins, & trace elements including Calcium and Vits A, B, D, E, & K. Also Copper and Iron. As I live in Hungary I order it online from www.viovet.co.uk
  7. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    katygeorge likes this.
    Calcium can be important for older dogs but you want to get a good quality supplement. It should also include vit d, k, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and boron as they all work together and are the nutrients bone tissue requires. I only know this because I was given such a supplement myself and the leaflet contains that info.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katygeorge and Bonni like this.
    If you are feeding a commercial food, chances are that it is already fortified with vitamins and minerals; dog food companies are not required to list the amounts of vitamins/minerals they put in their foods, but one has to be very careful about the total amount of vitamins your dog is getting from all sources as it can do more harm than good to give to much., Some pet food manufacturers will tell you how much of what is in their product, some won't or don't even know how much survives the manufacturing process. Glucosamine and chondrotin or MSM is good for their joints as they get older.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    That's interesting Vee - I always though the laws surrounding dog food were stricter than ours when it came to ingredients disclosure. Wonder if we can get this verified..
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz