Wanting a small dog... Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Azz likes this.

Wanting a small dog...

Hello all. My husband and I are looking to add to our canine family and find ourselves wanting a smaller dog. We have an almost 5-year-old daughter so was wondering if any of you know of a breed of dog on the smaller side that is good with kids and is also hearty. My original thought was something like a Boston Terrier but am open to suggestions. Thanks so much!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Looking at pup or rescue?
    Rescue adult would give you a better handle on temperament and exactly how kid friendly, also energy level and you get to skip the chewing part of teething.

JRT, Boston, Dachshund, and Pug low grooming end, and some grooming required Brussels Griffon Terrier,Miniature Schnauzer, Maltese, and Yorkshire Terrier.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Griffon Bruxellois. Preferably a smooth, otherwise known as a Petit Brabançon as they do not need stripping.

I used to breed them and they are wonderful with children - even with toddlers.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bostons have a great attitude to life. So (predictably) do Beagles, which which might match the energy levels of your resident boy. Do you want gentle devotion with a relaxed attitude to exercise? Then what about a Cavalier KCS? Do you mind learning to groom? or paying a groomer? If so Min. Schnauzer, or a Cocker, (from either side of the pond) might suit you.
    Of course any of these (or a crossbred version) might be sitting in a shelter, just waiting to capture your heart.
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Cavalier KCS in the US I would strictly stay away from this breed as it has a incredible amount of health issues in the US, no clue UK wise. But here there just seem to be no line which are not inline and overbreed so much it is insane.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm sorry to hear that the health record of CKCS is so poor in the US, and the publicity relating to inherited conditions has certainly affected show entries here too. I believe that health testing is important, and any purchaser should know what problems are likely in their chosen breed, and always ask to see the proof of parental test certificates. The breed clubs over here have been proactive in engaging researchers to advise serious breeders in their attempt to breed healthy stock, but (in all breeds) there will always be a problem with puppy mills, and pet breeders who are unaware of what may lurk in their pedigrees.
    I showed and bred Cavaliers, in a small way, for over 20 years and, even before testing became routine, mine were hip x-rayed, and heart and eye tested before being bred from. I made it a goal to try to use sound veteran (7 years and over) show dogs as studs for my bitches. There was no testing for SM/CLM in those days, and yes, I did have one bitch (my daughter's pet dog) with mild Syringomelia, - though at that time it wasn't diagnosed with that name. I had to have her put to sleep aged 14 years, by which time she had developed canine dementia.
    What will always promote the Cavalier is its temperament. I have never had another breed with such an inherent desire to please a human being. Gentle, devoted - perhaps a little too clingy for some people - but I still miss the weight of a sleeping Cavalier's head on my feet.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I was also going to suggest the Cavalier, as they make wonderful pets , your ideal small family dog.

I am surprised the the health records of this breed in the US are not good, because from my understanding the US are usually far more advanced on health than we are here.

LMost........ do you have any data to back up your findings.?

To the poster, what ever breed you choose, contact the breed club and the KC and look up health problems and test results, arm yourself with as much research as you can for your chosen breed, if you do that and buy from a breeder who health tests then you are going to get a healthy pup (as healthy as any dog can be)
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Left side list health issues
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/overview.htm

Yes many agree the amount of health issues being shown by them is do to overbreeding and no testing of parents to weed out a lot of the issues.

On from this very side as to what is going on with the breed in the US, google will show more like it but not to the extent
    http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/breed-rescues-join-forces-to-rescue-auctioned-cavaliers.14397/

When a small breed has a average lifespan, of many of the molosser breeds that should tell you something straight off.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I wouldn't recommend JRT's they not always great with young children
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica - if I knew of a Griffon breeder in the US I could recommend I would do so. But there must be a Griffon Bruxellois breeders association so maybe you can check. I would definitely recommend a Griffon as they are wonderful with small children, but would also recommend a smooth as against a rough - a Petit Brabançon.

There used to be some breed health problems but I think most are checked for now - I have been out of breeding them for many years now so am not up to date with them, but they are sturdy little dogs who will accept as much exercise as you wish to given them but are yet happy to be lazy little stay-at-homes. And as I say, they are great with even small children.

They are also usually a fairly long-live breed.

OK so I am biased, but they really are a lovely breed to own, and I miss mine so much - which is why as I could not bring one with me and could not get one here, I ended up with mutts! :D
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I love Boston Terriers - we have some stunners in our photos here Boston Terrier. If you think one would suit your lifestyle, I'd definitely consider one :D
  13. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks to all who responded! There are so many breeds to choose from and I don't remember it being this hard with our first dog!! He is so wonderful I want a dog similar to him in temperament. The people we got him from said he is a lab/husky mix, but the vet said try lab/greyhound. I have always wondered if his mother jumped the fence! Nonetheless, he is a great dog and I want to find the best suitable housemate for him, as well as the family.