Westy Puppy Nipping! Discussions

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by kevin manley, May 17, 2016.

1. kevin manley

kevin manley New Member

Name:
    georgie

Westy Puppy Nipping!

Hi, our beloved westie passed away mid feb after 13.5 years and we have a westie puppy just finishing his injections and to start puppy classes once fit to be in the outside world.. he is pretty much very excitable and high energy. Could I ask owners of puppy's, in their experience, what works best with westie puppy's whom have a tendency to nip and play bite? We only have had him two weeks and my father has been very ill, being an ex cancer patient, but our puppy gets lots /huge amounts of plays and attention. He is not yet signed off by the vet, to go outside our very large garden due to still in injections and vaccination stage.

Anyone have similar breed issues and problems? Our previous westie, we cant remember if she had similar tendency at early age. Any comments very welcome!!! Kevin
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Kevin,
    Welcome to Breedia. I'm sure Georgie is a great diversion for your father. I have also had a couple of cancers and I would swear that the greatest therapy was training my Eddie the Beagle.
    I think you have forgotten, as I'm sure your last Westie must have play bitten too. Like all babies, it is an instinct to investigate the world with the mouth, and it is your job to show him what it is and isn't appropriate to mouth and bite. As this is such a young puppy, and Westies are a small breed, I wouldn't be too authoritarian at this stage. I think you might be better having some toys - such as chewies or knotted ropes - that you can substitute as a game when Georgie is nipping. Keep these special toys aside so he doesn't have the chance to become bored with them. Other tips are making a yelping noise, to let him know that he has bitten you too hard. If he carries on hurting you despite this, the game stops, as he has probably hyped himself up too much and needs a little cooling off period.
    Hope this helps.
  4. kevin manley

kevin manley New Member

Name:
    georgie
    thanks carole.have been checking out some info online and doing some research.. Georgie has meds today for campylobacter infection but is well in himself, running around and playing...our previous westie was beautiful, passed away in feb after eating a pine cone. sorry about your experience with c- its a dreadful thing. am reading up about training info...lots of hard work to come!!! will be good when all vaccines are done and he can go out of the house and to puppy classes!. thanks for reply and getting back to me . kevin