What age can a Springer Spaniel start to breed? Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by SpringSpanLove, Jul 13, 2016.

1. SpringSpanLove

SpringSpanLove New Member

Name:
    Anna

What age can a Springer Spaniel start to breed?

I own two Springer Spaniel puppies. We'really hoping on breeding them when their older. We are very informed on this subject, just else don't know when we'll start getting puppies. Thanks for the help:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry but if you are well informed on the subject i dont understand why you are asking the question, did they come from a reputable breeder ? do you have the pedigree papers?are the KC registered? before you even consider breeding you should do a lot of research as its not just a case of putting a dog and bitch together.
  4. SpringSpanLove

Name:
    Anna
    We are new at this and are still learning. We do want what is best for our dogs. I have breeded yorkies before, but as you can tell they are very different breeds. I've only had my two pups for very short time. I have tried to contact my breeder but cannot get a hold of her. I'm still learning about Springer Spaniels and wanted to know this since I haven't been able to find this answer. Thanks for your input:)
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You say you have two puppies,how old are they ?are they both from same breeder ? if so i presume they are not related.
  6. SpringSpanLove

Name:
    Anna
    They are not related, and not from the same breeder, does anyone know the answer to my question. I just want to know what age Springer Spaniels can breed. And they are both a couple months old.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    In message #3 you said:
    Now you say
    Does that mean that you cannot get hold of either breeder?
  8. SpringSpanLove

Name:
    Anna
    Yes. I meant breeders.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    http://www.essfta.org/english-sprin...nsible-breeders-of-english-springer-spaniels/

Quote A minimum breeding age of three years is strongly recommended for breeders to determine with greater certainty that the parents are of good health and sound temperament.

Breeding in general http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeding.html
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Ideally when they are 30 to 36 months old (2 1/2 years to 3 years old)
    Just one word of caution Springers are not that easy to breed (temperament, hips, male puppies testicles sometimes don't drop, females failing health test) my friend as 2 male Springers & one female Springer all 3 from different breeders, one of the males testicles didn't drop at all & the other only one of his testicles dropped, the female has hip problems (hip ball joint not lined up in socket) if you are thinking of breeding both of your Springers then make sure they pass all the regulation health tests beforehand.
  11. SpringSpanLove

Name:
    Anna
  12. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Don't forget to keep them fully separated when the bitch comes into heat; even if that means sending one of them somewhere else. They CAN breed as young as around six months old, but it would be incredibly irresponsible to allow them to do so.

You may need to rethink your plans too; being tiny babies now, you have no idea how either will mature and they might not be suitable for breeding. Having two dogs that complement each other so well that they must be bred in the same house would be a wild stroke of luck.......
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    you boy pup can sire a litter from around 4 mths of age, your bitch can produce a litter from around 6mths of age, depending on when she has her season.

That does not mean you should allow them to breed then, ideally your bitch needs to be over 2 yrs old, and had (the dog to) all relevant health tests for the breed. until them you may be likely to have to contend with at least 4 seasons with your bitch, this means you will have to make sure your dog does not get to her.