What age to start breeding? Questions

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Angie Rosslair, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Angie Rosslair

Angie Rosslair New Member

Name:
    Angie

What age to start breeding?

Hi Everyone,

I have a male Westie that I want to use for breeding when he's gets old enough. Not even the Vet can tell me what age this would be. Does anyone have any experience with breeding male Westies?

I've just tried doing a video of my Westie, which still needs a lot of editing. This is my first try and I really don't know what I'm doing LOL.

Here's Fergus. He's now 14 months old, and so spoiled! (Hope it's OK to post this here)

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    It is not usual for people intending to breed from their bitch to want to use an untried dog, unless it has outstanding merit. Stud work is not as easy as you might think, as young dogs can need experienced management. It is worth remembering that a pet dog which is used at stud may also begin to urine mark in the house.
    A potential stud dog should be fully KC registered, (and transferred into your name), and be of sufficient merit to be used at stud. In practice, for a Westie, this usually means having a good record in the show ring. Your dog should be health tested to the Kennel Club recommendations, and preferably to those of the Breed Club too. Details of the health tests available for the Westie can be found on,
    www.dogbreedhealth.com/west-highland-white-terrier/
    Hope this helps.