What do you feed your Husky type breeds? Diet

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Brian, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

Name:
    Brian

What do you feed your Husky type breeds?

What do you feed your Husky type breeds?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Depends on what you call 'Husky Type breeds' ????? My dogs are nothing like Huskies at all, but I won't go into that, are they included or not ?

Why Only huksy type breeds ???
  4. Brian

Brian New Member

Name:
    Brian
    Sorry I didn't mean to offend, Yes I know Mals aren't Huskies. When I say 'Husky type' I mean Mals, Akitas, Samoyeds etc
    I'm interested as the majority of people I know with these type dogs are all for feeding them a raw diet, I was just interested to hear what others on here feed theirs.
  5. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Don't mean to sound pedantic, but if you didn't mean to offend, you should have said ......Mals, Akitas and Sams, instead of classing us all as Husky types. It's bad enough that the general public do it on a daily basis, without poeple who know better, doing it too ;-)

As for your question, I'm a great believer in the BARF diet, and fed it for a long time. However I have no supply locally and would need to travel and pay over the top for it, so unfortunately, I now have to feed complete, much to my dogs' dismay :neutral:
  6. Brian

Brian New Member

Name:
    Brian
    Sorry I didn't think someone would be so offended, my old Mal and Akita used to both be called huskies by joe public it didn't bother me in the slightest.
    But obviously you do take offence so I apologise.
  7. Brian

Brian New Member

Name:
    Brian
    When you say BARF diet what did that include? (I know barf mean bones and raw foods)
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Brian I live in a very small village within a stone's throw of 2 Northern Inuit breeders, so their dogs are everywhere, and get sick to the back teeth of people referring to my Mals as "those Husky type Inuits" on a daily basis, often several times a day, so don't assume that everyone is so blase about it, you don't know everyone's circumstances, and being in the dog world with a northern breed yourself, you should have known better.

Sorry for the rant, but it really does get my goat.
  9. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I have to say if that were me I'd feel the same. I hate my dogs being referred to as something else.
    Becky
  10. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    No, BARF means "Biologically Appropriate Raw Feeding" ;-)

I used to feed RMB's several times a week, main meals consisting of chicken carcasses, chicken/turkey necks, lamb, Pigs heads etc, and Offal of course (hearts/lungs/liver etc). I gave Veg once a week, and various supplements, plus garlic. Fish was popular too, except the heads, but mine preferred canned fish than fresh for some reason. I also sometimes gave Pasta or rice with it.

Their favourite was pigs head, although not mine, as I wasn't too keen on hunting in the garden for the teeth :mrgreen:
  11. mozzy

mozzy New Member

Name:
    Queenie
    My Husky is now on a raw food diet as he has a sensitive stomach and since he's been fed raw he's improved 100% ;-). We spent ages trying to find a commercial dog food that suited him, in the end we gave up :roll: .
    Things is we've vegetarians (and have been for years), so it's quite an eye opener looking in the meat section at the local supermarket :lol: :lol: .
  12. mforster85

mforster85 New Member

Name:
    michelle
    i feed my samoyed james wellbeloved and she also gets chicken mince etc and she loves tuna, im a veggie too so i dont think i could give her a pig head yuk!
  13. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    My husband is a hearty meat eater and even he totally freaked when he picked up a pigs head and it's eyeball fell on his shoe :smt043 :smt043
  14. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Spitz "type" dogs, Northern breeds...maybe a better term

My dogs 2 malamutes and a Samoyed are all fed on raw food, chicken carcass, wings, tripe, rib bones, fish, eggs, fruist, veg, beef mince etc
  15. mforster85

mforster85 New Member

Name:
    michelle
    argh what a lovely vision:smt078
  16. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    i bet you wished you hadn`t asked :shock::lol:
  17. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Our Siberians are fed on a mix of Dr. John's Gold, Purina Proplan and raw chicken wings, with the odd vegetables added in.

Mick
  18. vincent smith

vincent smith New Member

Name:
    wolfy
    my siberian huskie wolfy i feed her on (supadog active) dryed food as she is working, and when she is not working she gets (supadog)dryed food
  19. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    My malamutes are fed raw too, they have done for quite some time, although I am not against the odd meal of Royal Canin, if I have to stay somewhere away from home with the dogs.

Mo
  20. esquimaux

esquimaux New Member

Name:
    nicky
    we feed ours Purina, raw meat, fish, and vegies, oh and whatever they can steal off the kids!!
    My small dogs are on the same sort of diet, but no chicken carcases for them, they cant cope with the bones lol
    Nicky
  21. Mel

Mel New Member

Name:
    Melody
    My Mals are BARF fed and have been for the past couple of years :)