What is there to know about these breeds? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by pippam, Mar 15, 2012.

1. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a

What is there to know about these breeds?

Breeds off my radar of interests that ive looked at recently
    Clumber Spaniels - Too big
    Boston Terriers - Too expensive
    Skye Terriers - Too rare probably won't find any

Breeds that currently tick my box's

Bichon-Frise - . the only downsider I can see is the coat being white and the grooming?
    . Do Bichons need a lot of grooming? By that I also mean do they need regular trips to the groomers to keep themselves looking good?
    Do they keep clean on raw??

. What are the health tests required if getting from breeder?

Are their any common health problems associated with the breed?

Miniature Pinscher -

. What are the health tests??

Other Questions -

. As these are toy breeds would my Cocker be too much for them?? Would toy breeds be happy going on long walks say 30 mins- hour a day??

I wont be getting a dog for some time im just looking into breeds that take my interest for now and I wont be officially deciding what I want till I get a job.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    have never owned either of the breeds you have mentioned, but i do own toy breeds.

bichon frise do need regular grooming, you could learn to do it yourself, but you would have to buy all the equipment, so may aswell go to the groomers for it.

i imagine they stay clean on raw, can always use a baby wipe on the after, asbo sometimes gets a bit stuck in his hair when it gets in the way, i just wipe it then put the brush through it.

as for them doing exercise... my toy breeds go out more than 30 minutes a day (so probably more than what you take you cocker out) they go for at least an hour a day, if im not at work we tend to go 2 hours, weekends we can be out 4 hours with regular breaks.. so yes they will walk. my two love to be out and about. but in the same token they are happy to curl up on the sofa with you. daphni doesnt mind if she misses a walk if im under the weather (doesnt happen often) asbo minds a bit more, but ive found as long as i do something else with him he seems to be just as happy to curl up on my feet.

hope that helps a bit :grin:
  4. ailsas mum

ailsas mum New Member

Name:
    Ann
    I've got Bichon, no idea about the health tests as my girl is a rescue that just sort of landed on me, I was looking for a rescue sheltie and somehow ended up with Ellie who came from many Tears nearly 9 months ago. Her coat does get very dirty very quickly and I bath her about once a month. I've only had her coat cut once I'm trying to keep on top of it myself but she will need to go to the groomer's very very soon. Ellie is raw fed and she loves it and she's not a messy eater even with a slightly undershot jaw, she will stay out on a walk for hours if I let her but that could be because of where she came from ( puppy farm ) and will stay out in all weathers. Ellie isn't to keen on playing with my sheltie Arran but I think he's just a bit to much for her but they do love to snuggle up together on the couch. I have no regrets getting Ellie she is the most loving wee dog I've ever had and even though shelties are my first choice I wouldn't hesitate to have another Bichon in my life.

Edited to add If you go for a Bichon please be very careful where you get one from as they are a favourite of the Puppy farmer ( sorry if you already knew that )
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  5. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    My Bichon Lhasa Apso mix loves her walks, and will walk for hours, but if she doesn't get a walk? she's happy to snuggle on the couch for the day. Zoe get's shaved every 2 or 3 months, with maintainance trims inbetween. Sh egets brushed daily when her fur is long, otherwise she matts, and she get's bathed once a month, as she has a very oily coat and get's stinky otherwise :)
  6. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    My Norwich is smaller than many toy breeds and will happily do ten miles and more on walks
  7. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    My Sister has a Bichon called Lily. She is a lovely little dog and needs grooming every 6 weeks at the grooming parlour and a good brush through every night.

She is extremely fussy but don't know if this is typical of the breed or just her! She will not eat chewy things so would not do well on a raw diet! She is about 6 years old and has just had a dental at the vets and 12 teeth removed :cry: I did advise my Sister when she got her that she should brush Lily's teeth regularly as she is a toy breed and they can have teeth problems but she didn't bother :twisted: . The vet said "oh you don't need to brush their teeth but of course he is taking money for dental surgery!"

I would like one but where we live I could not cope with the white coat and being so near to the ground. My Sister just walks hers round the town so doesn't really get dirty like she would walking round the heath where we live. I met someone once with a Bichon cross that had a Bochon type coat and she said she would not get another one due to how dirty he got every day but again depends on where you walk your dog and how tolerant you are of muck and dirt on the dog's coat I guess! My dogs get quite mucky but because of their colouring you don't realise this till you shower them and see the colour of the water coming from their coats!
  8. alfiebowen100

alfiebowen100 New Member

Name:
    KJ
    Bichons are lovely little things, we had some at the rescue i used to work at!
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The Breed Clubs will have info on relevant health tests so just google them and download the health page.

The KC Assured Breeder Scheme will also have info on this again this can be easily downloaded from their site.