What is wrong with food - it's the oils! Food

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by holatou, Nov 30, 2022.

1. holatou

holatou New Member

Name:
    JJ
    CaroleC likes this.

What is wrong with food - it's the oils!

This is my first new post other than intros! I know it’s not dog related but I wanted to share something i really feel strongly about and want to spread this around. I hope i didn’t break any rules.

So why are people today so sick and fatigued and having trouble losing weight? What I’ve been reading is that it’s actually really simple. 100 years ago nobody had diabetes or heart disease and everybody wasn’t fat at all. And what changed to get us to today where every other person has some health problem? What changed is we started cooking with vegetable oil (or seed oil as they call it now). back when everyone was healthy, we cooked with butter or lard (even though apparently theres something wrong with lard now) - But now everything you get in the store is soybean oil or canola oil or something.

Why does it matter? The seed oil oxidizes in your body when you eat it and that is at the heart of all the degenerative conditions and fat gain. I have so much less trouble staying at a good weight when I don’t eat seed oil.

So you can do this! It’s overwhelming when you go to the store and every single thing has seed oil in it, but you just have to find the alternative foods that don’t have it. I have to go to the health store or get stuff over the internet sometimes, but that’s OK.

Here’s what I do:

* You can get anything you want, but made with good oil. That’s something I really like about this diet, you don’t have to give up anything and there aren’t any “bad” foods like on low-carb or vegetarian. Just as long as it’s made with the good oil and has no chemicals or anything then you are good to go! You just have to find it. For example, and I’ll show it to you, I looked up and found potato chips without seed oil just a little while ago. So that’s proof that it can be done - that’s one reason why I mention it. Cause that’s like the hardest thing to find, since chips are basically nothing but potatoes and frying oil. And I could find even chips that are good! No guilt at all eating them. And the traditional oil usually makes all these different foods that you find taste better than with the seed oil.

* When you cook, just use coconut oil or butter or olive oil. Toss the canola oil. Easy!

* Going out to eat: well, that’s tricky. I try to stick to steak or seafood or something where I know theres probably not too much oil in it. Cause I know they use seed oils usually.

I’m a big believer in this and I really hope I can help someone with this too! Good Luck!!!!

(mods please let me know if im breaking any rules? i dont mean to)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. holatou

holatou New Member

Name:
    JJ
    Let me know what you guys think if anyone has tried this diet!
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I usually grill or fry using either butter or olive oil, just because I prefer the taste. I do use oven chips quite often though - the better ones are produced using sunflower oil. Rape seed oil is the most common cooking oil over here - I think Canola is a maize oil.
    I wonder if the type, or the way the seed oil is processed, would make a difference? It seems that cold-pressed oils are recommended rather than the industrially processed ones which are used in the catering trade. Various seed oils are actually supposed to be beneficial, such as Evening Primrose oil, and wheat germ oil, but I suppose when they are used in cooking, the heat is bound to alter the structure.
    When my last Beagle had a type of skin cancer, I tried an experimental treatment which consisted of giving quite large doses of cold-pressed Safflower oil. I have tried shallow frying using this and found it has very little flavour, pleasantly neutral and does not alter the flavour of the food.
    Food for thought though!
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yes, 100 years ago people DID get diabetes and heart disease and were fat. 500 years ago people got diabetes, heart disease and were fat. 1000 years ago people got diabetes, heart disease, and were fat.

The difference is that:

1. Sugar, and other sweeteners, were used much more moderately (they were expensive)

2. People died from diabetes and heart disease because there weren't any treatments

3. People died of many other things before they ever reached the age where diabestes and heart disease would kick in

4. The world is far less active than ever before. In the past, fat people existed, but they were still very active. They didn't sit in an office all day then sit in front of a tv all evening. They had to walk everywhere or ride a horse. They still got fat, but they were active.

5. Diets were very unhealthy. Dietary diseases like rickets, scurvy, beriberi, osteoporosis, tetany, goiters, anemia, and pellagra were commonplace. Even hemophilia and night blindness were caused by dietary deficiencies.

In addition, people died from these diseases in the past. So just because we NOW have so many people with heart disease, etc, it doesn't mean people ate better THEN. It just means we have better medical care NOW and people don't have to die from it.

100 years ago, if someone developed diabetes, they died - period. So you don't hear about "people with diabetes". Today, people with diabetes can live long happy lives. So "people with diabetes" is a commonplace term.

And they didn't have names for these diseases back then. People still died from them, but they were said to have been possessed by demons, punished for their sins, etc. The term "heart disease" didn't come into being until the 1700s - and why did it come into use then? Because doctors started understanding the cause of diseases AND because people back then had heart disease.
  6. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    @Toedtoes Good points. Point #3 is often cited as the reason why so many dogs develop cancer these days. Now we routinely vaccinate against what were formerly killer diseases, and have a range of antibiotics to treat infection. I am old enough to remember the introduction of Epivax, the first vaccine against Hard Pad and Distemper. Prior to that it was common to see puppies sold as being, 'over distemper', surviving the disease itself being the only protection against future infection. Also, the antibiotics Penicillin and Terramycin only came into regular use for the treatment of animals in the 1950's.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Cancer is a big one touted as a "we eat poorly now" disease. But cancer has,been around since the beginning. I believe they've found references to the removal of tumers as far back as the greeks or egyptians.

The example with dogs is a great one - and relevant. Cancer isn't new in dogs - it's simply that we have prevented so many early deaths from medical advances that dogs are living long enough to get cancer. And cancer is, relatively, an old dog's disease - hitting most after 6-8 years of age.