What should a standard Blue staffies look like? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by hirdy, Oct 2, 2006.

1. hirdy

hirdy New Member

Name:
    elaine

What should a standard Blue staffies look like?

What should blue staffies look like ie eyes coat etc.
    I have been told light noses and eyes are a fault is this true?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
  4. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Blue being in most cases a dilute black lack of pigment is common and not particularly desirable if you wish to show or breed, if your dog is a pet it matters not one iota.
  5. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Blue's should still have a dark eye,and dark noses,so if it has light eyes and noses yes it is a fault.
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Think I was trying to say a 'fault' is in the eye of the beholder, yes if you wish to show or breed lack of pigment is a 'fault' otherwise it is only a fault if you perceive it to be.
  7. Miranda

Miranda New Member

Name:
    MO
    I have been to a few Staff dog shows lately since getting our Irish Staff. I thought that Blue Staffs were not recognised by the Kennel club as they are a different build to KC staffs but at the shows I have seen KC registered blue staffs which do seem to look more stocky. I am not an expert so may be totally wrong!!
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Blues are within the breed standard it is only black & tan and liver that are considered undesirable. There is no such thing as a colour not being recognised by the KC a pure bred dog can be registered and shown no matter what colour the coat happens to be, but those dogs who's colour and construction conform closest to the breed standard will be the ones who do the winning under the well informed judges.

Think ones impression of the build of the dog may be more dependent on the colour than on the actual construction, the lighter colours looking heavier than the darker or heavily marked ones, after all, all well bred Staffies should be stocky, (muscular, active and agile) and should be of a balanced appearance, it is the light framed and long legged specimens that are not to the standard, and will not be very successful in the show ring
  9. hirdy

hirdy New Member

Name:
    elaine
    Yes, blue staffies are ok to show and mine is KC reg too. Ive learnt alot about staffies on this site as well.
    Thanks for replying to the question.
  10. aman0

aman0 New Member

Name:
    Aman
    Hi, i have a blue staffy (old tyme/irish) he is blue all over with a bit of white on his chest and on one paw, his siblings were all blue with no white, but all of their eyes and noses were blue. Diesel's (thats mine) nose n eyes are still blue.

Old tyme staffys are not recognised by the KC but are in other institutions! Confusing i know but i have also been warned that KC recognised staffy's who are blue may change colour after about a year, whereas old tyme staffys do not! Don't quote me on this as i don't know if this true or not but it was something the breeder told me when i went to see the pups.
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    What is an old tyme staffie, I would guess some sort of cross but why and when?
  12. aman0

aman0 New Member

Name:
    Aman
    Old tyme staffy's aren't cross breeds its just a different line of staffys (irish lines), they are slightly taller n chunkier (spelling?), they are also known as the more athletic staffys.

There are plenty of other threads about irish staffy's on this site so if you wish to know more read them.

To give you a rough idea about the size my staffy was about the height of an 11 week (normal) staffy when he was 8 and a half weeks old.

I would recommend you see both types of staffy's before choosing between KC reg and old tyme/irish, you may prefer one look over another. I was set on the KC reg before i actually saw an irish in real life!!
  13. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Know what an ISBT is just wondered what an old time one was, strange but no stranger that other breeds that get the term old time as a prefix I suppose
  14. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    an olde tyme is just a silly name! There are agile and fit staffords, ones that are bred more along the lines of the orignal standards and there are show staffords who are bred along the lines of the current standards

I will only ever own the agile and fit stafford!
  15. bale844

bale844 New Member

Name:
    JO
    i find the best way to describe the difference is .....
    show staffies - bred for looks
    working staffies - bred to perform
    does this help lol? jo xx
  16. bale844

bale844 New Member

Name:
    JO
    p.s., i own both
  17. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    bale and which dog does it for you physically? if u dont mind me asking?
    can we see pics of both if you dont mind showing us

be good to hear from someone who owns both
  18. bale844

bale844 New Member

Name:
    JO
    oh i dont know much lol, except my preference, both my bitches remi + coda are shown in the picture galery.
    remi is a blue brindle ikc reg 'irish' staffy whos 1 1/2.
    coda is a 3 month old blue pied kc reg 'standard' stafy.
    i think the best way to describe my preerence is by telling you my ikc reg stafy is 16 1/2" tall + bot parents of my kc reg staffy were 16" also. i like both in their own rights but my personal preference is the middle ground.
    i think many kc stafies are far too short (for my personal liking) but ten many ikc stafies are far too tall also (again my opinions by my personal likes).
    aving said that i have friends who own, sow + breed both lol. jo xx
  19. bale844

bale844 New Member

Name:
    JO
    HERES A PIC ALSO IF IT HELPS??

[​IMG]
  20. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Old Tyme and Irish staffs are not recognised as a breed by the KC. They are a cross. many people believe them to be a substitute for the pitbull whenthey were banned.
    You can get a blue stafford that is KC registered but they will meet the breed standard unlike the Irish or Old Tymw stafford.
  21. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Leadstaffs not all staffords without papers are cross breeds

Thank bale for reply, first beautiful dog, what lines is the blue bitch from, (love her head) the pup is so cute, looks to be very much a nice blend of terrier and bull, balance means more to me that height, plus dont do over bully staffords

Give me a nice 16-18 inch male, nice clean cut head no exsagerated features, not to long or short muzzle, nice deep chest without the barrel rib cage and a nice tuck with a good amount of day light underneath them. Also not to lippy then id be happy

Sometimes these 20 inch plus staffords are just to leggy for me, like a 14 inch male is just to short for me
    some called nemasis on here has a 14inch stafford called xina, kc reg and proberly one of the nicest bitches ive seen (bar from someone else dogs who IS the perfect bitch (not mine lol)

Kennel club reg staffords are fine as long as they are bred the way i want them, i have come to learn that you get beautiful kc reg staffords (ghostlyease, cosmo, sparpit etc are all kc reg breeders who breed good agile staffords)