What would you do? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by mjfromga, Apr 10, 2016.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Azz likes this.

What would you do?

I can't say I'd give the dog back. The dog is legally mine and I've already bonded with the dog and love the dog. In addition, I hate those prong collars and why couldn't they be bothered to microchip the dog or put identification on the dog if she was THAT important to her son? Maybe just a lapse in judgment, but still.

I realize that because the child is involved, most people say they'd return the dog, but I have to be the unpopular opinion and say that I'd gladly keep MY dog (not THEIR dog), have her microchipped by the shelter, ensure she never wears another yucky prong collar again, and I'd keep her as I paid for her and love her already.

Much like the current owners, if the dog had been adopted by me, they would not be getting her back.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow Myra, that is a tough call.
    At present, in this country, dogs are legally classed as property, and with all that photo evidence, I suspect that the original owners would have a very strong case. My gut feeling is with you though, I would find it almost impossible to hand the dog back after four months, and also agree about the prong collar and lack of ID.
    There can't be a happy ending, if they reach the courts these cases can drag on for years.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    The dog has been returned to the original owners http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/boy-reunited-with-therapy-dog/112843519

As far as I understand the original owners were moving house when the dog got out,

They had the dog from a youngster and it hadn't escaped previously, Just because it wasn’t MC and is wearing a prong collar doesn't make them bad owners.
    I personally would have given the dog back, as if it happened to me I know I would fight tooth and nail to get him back.

I don’t know about other countries but here in the UK the MC does NOT prove ownership.

Whilst a microchip may be used as proof of a dog's identity it is not proof of ownership, you own the microchip but not the dog, if your dog is stolen or sold to a new owner you may be contacted to confirm that the dog used to be yours but you may not be able to get it back. Data protection issues can prevent vets, rescue centres, the police and even magistrates from disclosing your stolen pet's new whereabouts to you.

One of the reasons that im against compulsory MC
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Dog might of been microchipped & that chip could of stopped working, so one does have to think about giving the dog back to the original owner first.

None related to this post but first fined for not microchipping your dog, as gone to a couple in London dog wardens stopped them in the street & their 2 dogs were not chipped. Following a public outcry it was claimed that the wardens were only stopping owners with Staffies, so the fines will been over turned if both dogs are microchipped by 12th April.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    That is a good point Tina, MC's do fail - in fact Eddie's chip is only reading on half of the passes. (A side issue - what do I do about that? Have him rechipped and end up with TWO numbers?)
    Re. the London dog wardens, I understood that as a matter of course, people were first to be given (thought it was) an initial 14 day warning, and only summonsed if the dog remained unchipped at the end of that period. I certainly don't think that they should be picking on particular types of dog, even though the typical young male owner is a bit of a sitting target. I hope that young Bull breed owners get the message, as they would probably be least able to find the £500 fine = even more dogs in rescue. Let's hope that the microchip remains well motivated, and does not lapse into being a register for identification and future taxation.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    What if I don’t get my dog microchipped by April 6?
    If your dog is found to not have a microchip, you’ll be given a 21 day notice period to get the procedure done. Failure to comply will result in a fine of up to £500.
    http://www.vetsure.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Vesture-Microchipping-Pet-Owner-Guide.pdf
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks for that Vee.
    I really don't know what to do about Ed's chip. At the time we believed him to be on very limited time, so it was the last thing that I was concerned about. However, ( fingers crossed), the sulphasalazine seems to be successfully keeping his symptoms in check, so I'm getting a bit twitchy now.
    Last year a Silken Windhound exhibitor took her puppy to a show in Germany. The pup had scanned with some difficulty on the way out, but the chip had completely failed by the time they came to make the return journey. A German fellow exhib. had to board the dog until it had been rechipped, and had its documentation amended.
    I'm beginning to think that it might be a good idea to have my own Halo scanner.
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Never said that a microchip proved ownership, but if they had some sort of ID on the dog the shelter would have contacted them. The new owners were "kind" enough to give the dog back, but were under absolutely no obligation.

PS - They have absolutely no case. With no tags, the law simply doesn't work in their favor regardless. The dog was and is contractually the family's who adopted her. They didn't steal her, they legally acquired her from the shelter. They voluntarily gave her back once they felt bad for the kid.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The article states that the original owner’s claim that the dog had a collar with tags on, The shelter and vet claim she did not,(have tags) who is telling the truth? Guess we will never know.
    It is also possible that her idea that someone else had the dog for a while and removed the tags is correct.
    im not making excuses but sometimes things are not as black & white as they seem.

I'm also realistic about the fact that dogs do escape, sometimes from loving homes and despite the fact Mrs. Westenzweig didn't microchip her dog, or wither it had tags or not, I do really believe that ethically the right thing to do was for the new owner to give the dog back, there appears to be no evidence that the dog was ill treated in any way and no one can know or hypothesize the quality of life the dog had with them simply because she didn't microchip and the dog ran away

To me it’s about the dog, not who is right or wrong but that is me and my opinion, I try to see the best in people.
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    It is about the dog. Totally agree. That's why I'd not have returned her. I'd take the prong off, get her microchipped, and endeavor to train her and prevent her from ending up somewhere random. The dog was returned for the welfare of the child, not herself. My opinion.