What's the difference between American Akita & Japanese Akita General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Mar 18, 2016.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

What's the difference between American Akita & Japanese Akita

I saw a private advert in Pets At Home, for American Akita puppies, this is what it said :

Beautiful American Akita puppies for sale, please note these are not Japanese Akitas, they are now 10 weeks old & are ready to go to their forever homes.
    They will make excellent guard dogs, both parent dogs work for my K9 security company, please phone ######### but only if you are genuinely interested in buying a puppy. Will have Perro De Presa Canario puppies ready to go to their forever homes end of April, these will also make excellent guard dogs as their parents also work for my K9 security company.

Have been trying to find out the difference between the American Akita and the Japanese Akita on line, but all I find is the history of the Japanese Akita nothing on the American Akita.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    What we call an Akita is the American Akita and the Japanese Akita Inu is the Japanese Akita. Though the rest of the world seem to call the Japanese an Akita and the American an American Akita just to confuse people haha.

The American Akita is the bigger, bulkier, more "extreme" type. The Japanese being the original, smaller type.

(American) Akita:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/display.aspx?id=4091

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japanese Akita Inu:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/display.aspx?id=4223

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    At the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) General Assembly meeting in 2005, it was announced that the Japanese Akita and the American Akita were to be recognised as two separate breeds. On January 1, 2006 it was announced that in the eighty FCI countries the names had been officially changed to the Japanese Akita and The Great Japanese Dog or American Akita.
    This was done at the request of the Japan Kennel Club, the country of origin for the two Akita breeds of dog. The Japanese Kennel Club believed that the American Akita's were not thought to be true Akitas
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Thank you Katie it was very confusing when I Googled American Akita as it kept on saying Japanese Akita then history.