What's the Point of any breed? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Efes123, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil

What's the Point of any breed?

This has been raised in several of the NI threads, that there is no point in breeding them.

For me this raises the question, what's the point of any breed?

One argument is that a lot of the established breeds were bred for specific jobs, and newer breeds don't have this as a reason for breeding. Dogs have many jobs these days, but apart from the Collie, I can't think of any that are limited to one specific breed. For instance there are terriers bred for ratting etc. but there are numerous flavours of the terrier family that do this job. So for me, this as an argument falls down, else why carry on breeding these dogs.

Most people buy a dog as a pet these days, and for me, that's the point. If enough people want a specific type of dog, then that in itself is enough reason for the breed to exist.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Ill have a think but Im at work, so Ill respond later. :)
  4. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Bearded, Border, Rough, Smooth collies, all do similar job - plus OES and other herding breeds had same initial job.
  5. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I can't wait :lol:
  6. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought only the Borders did sheep herding? Or at least they were the only ones specifically bred for it.
  7. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie

No - lots of dogs shared the role - breeds depending on what area they came from :)
  8. looby-loo

looby-loo New Member

The Fox hounds are out of a job now too. .

Mustn't forget the retrievers. A lot of these are still used for a purpose. . ie working dog lines.

Of the herding breeds the Border is probably most popular as they seem to be easier trained. A lot of dogs seemed to have been bred to suit a farmers needs.

Fox hounds (and many other hounds) to chase the foxes so they don't eat the chickens. Terriers to keep the rats off the farms. Guarding breeds, such as Komondors and Pulis to guard the sheep from Wolves and other predators.

My dogs do a job. They are my pets. Thats their job. They are very good at it too. I, for one, am very glad they were bred.
  9. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    There are a lot of dogs that are working, but my point was that there are very few, if any, that are the only breed to do a specific job. As so many people on this board argue against the wolfy breeds by saying "What's the point of them?" I thought I'd ask the question against all breeds in general.

I too am very glad the BI/NI etc. exist, as mine is the perfect dog for me, and his point is keeping me happy. Although he often makes me annoyed as well :)
  10. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    That makes sense, I consider myself educated, thanks.

So is there a breed today that has a specific job, and that they are the only breed to do it?

If not, then what's the point of them?
  11. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    How about Newfies?
    An odd question IMO - Can you not see the particular benefit of the qualities of our chosen breeds - like the way gundogs are so responsive, and GSDs are so loyal and terriers are so determined ? Do you not reconise the grace of the sighthounds and marvel at the intelligence of pastoral breeds? If we only had things that served a `purpose` we would have few flowers and fewer things of beauty.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    No they aren't Looby, you can still use Hounds to flush Fox. :grin:
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Brace yourself!:mrgreen:

My take on it most of our established breeds were designed to do a job, many still do, like most of the Terriers, Collies, Hounds etc..

If we look at your point phil, saying what is the point of any breed now, why make more? If they are all "just pets" why would anyone want to create more pets? dont we have enough?
  14. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Hi,

This is my point. I am trying to remove the "what's the point?" argument that gets used against the wolfy breeds. I agree with you totally :)
  15. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Did you use your Dobes to work Dawn ?
  16. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Ah, but very few of them still do, so what's the point in continuing to breed them, why not let them die out? It's not as though the breeders are simply churning them out, but they are still tinkering with their breeds. If they haven't got a job anymore, why continue to 'improve' the breed?

Borrowing from Claire&Daisy for a moment. Couldn't you use that argument against creating different 'breeds' of flowers? Why not make more is my whole point. They're different from other breeds, they look different, and act different, so why not?
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes, I did working trials, and obedience.
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The point is they have been here an awful long time and designed with function in mind, if as you say they are just pets, why not breed them as pets? Why bred more when we have so many "redundant" breeds? Lets use the breeds we know all about with documented histories and not create more with uncertain histories.

We shouldnt be making more because there are too many already.
  19. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thanks Dawn, any piccies ? I'd love to see...never thought of Obedience being work before though, always thought of training as fun xx
  20. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I take you point about documentation etc. I think you may have a large argument on your hands by referring to a lot of existing breeds being redundant :)

I kinda agree with what you're saying in principle. But playing devil's advocate, what's the point in all these redundant breeds? What I'm trying to say here is that if people want to use the argument of "What's the point?" against the wolfy dogs, then that argument can be applied just as effectively against most, if not all, of any other breeds. I think there is a point in all breeds, except maybe those sheep looking things (Bedlington?) they make me squirm, and that point is as a pet that makes their owners happy.

What? No more new flowers? Can there ever be too many?
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    We are talking many moons ago now, my first Dobe was born in 1988, he was my first "working" dog, my second Dobe was a rescue I "aquired" :002: and was kept as a chained guard dog, he had Wobblers, so I never worked him at all. My second working dog was a JRT, in about 1989. I dont class obedience as "work" either, but the tracking, guarding, searching etc.. in the trials was very much what a Dobe was all about.

I dont agree, my thoughts would be as I said, if you say we have enough, dont breed more when there are already thousands needing homes. There is nothing wrong with Beddies either, they can do a days work like the rest of them! :002: :001:

I agree, but then when they grow too big they dont end up in rescue do they!:mrgreen: