When can I run my malinois? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by suaveflooder, Oct 4, 2020.

1. suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Name:
    Brian

When can I run my malinois?

Exactly what the title says. Worn out, she is AMAZING. 5 months as of yesterday. When can I run her? I will start off short distances obviously, but I get all sorts of answers off google

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Growth plates aren't fully 'set' until 12-18 months so it's wise to take care until they are.

It's really frustrating I know, but worth taking your time now for years of pain free fun later
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I agree with @Chris about taking time, Brian.

Lovely picture of Willow, she is looking great!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As a guide, the Kennel Club do not allow dogs to compete in dog sports such as Canicross, (sometimes spelt CaniX), before 18 months. Training usually starts at about 12 months with short distances on forgiving surfaces. At 78 I have unsurprisingly no experience in this discipline. You may find www.canicross.org.uk/canicross a useful read.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    suaveflooder and Malka like this.
    While growth plates are still growing I would be careful, you want to avoid repetitive running on hard surfaces that make impact on the joints, I would wait until she’s at least 12/14mths, then you can start to gradually build up the distance.
  7. suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Name:
    Brian
    Okay thank you! I got anywhere from 6 to 18 months from google. So it’s nice to have a solid answer! Ha! Thank you everyone!!

@Malka , she is doing very well! I was asking about running because in the days of constant activity with other dogs, she actually lays down! Other days we do short walks, and lots of little playing things like ball toss in the house, and training. She is a lot more crazy those days.

She knows, sit, and down, and we almost have stay at the moment.

potty training is a different story. She is just not getting it, but it is getting better

on a side note, my ex wife called me two days ago and let me know that my husky Atka died. I could not believe how hard it hit me. He was my first dog, and was still not that old (10). Best dog I have owned so far

Attached Files:

8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so sorry to hear that Atka died and I am sure that you gave Willow an extra hug when you heard the sad news - there will always be that Husky shaped hole in your heart but Willow will do her best to help fill it. We never forget the dogs that have gone - I have a box full of photographs of all the Griffons I had - always took a photograph of each puppy with its new family when they collected them, and I remember each one of them.

The first photograph I took of Lexi, the first dog I was able to share my life with when I had to give up work, is still the wallpaper on my computer, and Pereg, my epi girl, is still my avatar here on Breedia. I will not change either of them. I have not taken any photographs of Tikva for ages now - maybe I should get my camera out and put batteries in it and take some of her.

Run free Atka - run free as fast as you can xx
  9. suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Name:
    Brian
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    100%!! I walked straight in and gave Willow a huge hug. Crazy.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry to hear about the loss of your Husky. Run free Atka.
  11. suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Name:
    Brian
    CaroleC likes this.

I got you a dog. When are you coming to the US? ;)

she is getting HUGE!! Found out from the guy I got her from she looks EXACTLY like her dad

Attached Files: