Where do you walk your dog? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.

Where do you walk your dog?

And does it change depending on the time of year?

Do you see many people out? Go alone? Or with someone? :101:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's and Azz like this.
    I tend to walk in the woods at either the country park 800 acres, Epping forest or a very hilly wooded park. I tend to walk alone most of the time, sometimes the OH tags along if he has the time between work and sleep and sometimes I walk with a friend. I rarely see anyone at the country park, if I do it's usually in the big field between the car park and the trees. That seems to be where most people walk. There's usually only about 3 cars in the car park anyway. Epping forest is a bit busier, especially around the lake. The park is a bit busier again but most people can't hack the hills. I see more horses and cyclists than dogs as a rule.
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Alone almost always :) down the fields in daylight, down past the churchyard at night .
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I used to take the girls down the lane and either into the woods or along the cart track that runs at the back of my house. We've had to abandon it, much to my annoyance, as the couple who live down the lane have recently acquired a very unpleasant Kuvasz who lies in wait for unsuspecting passers by. I have considered getting onto the cart track by going through the hedge at the top of my garden but apart from the hassle I don't fancy being scratched to bits. We now have to walk up the main road either right up to the top or do a left turn and walk along the cart track which runs along the back of the houses on the opposite side of the road to mine. We very rarely meet anyone as I'm the only person in the village who walks their dogs.
  6. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    In the woods, occasionally will go to the beach but 1 hours drive, sometimes i bump into Abby (cocker) and her owner then we will walk together other times I meet up with a large group walk. I am lucky where I moved to I am 5 mins walk from town centre but right next to that is a large wood, interconnecting with other woods and fishing lodges, in the opposite direction I live 5 mins from a lake & open field then cross over a road and again miles and miles of woods and dirt track lanes
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    We are very lucky to live near lots of footpaths and fields, I normally walk alone and vary rarely see anyone; we also take them to the local parks or on the beach couple of times a week. I love the seasons and how the landscape changes especially spring when everything is coming alive.
    P101000z.JPG Roy 035 (1).jpg
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    At the local park...(a couple hundred acres of wood and flat land) I go the same time every day 8.30 and meet the same people, I prefer it that way, because with a puppy its been good to know who and what dogs are friendly giving him good experiences all the way.

Mind (for another topic) my cue little boy has left home and in his place there seems to be a testosterone thug with no recall and lots of attitude taken his place !!
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Fields and woods very close by (wonderful) bordered by a river and canal (not always so wonderful!) If I want a longer walk I go along the Spa Trail, which is part of the long-distance footpath The Viking Way.

The only time I vary it is if it is horrendously muddy I'll go on a different path, and during the few weeks they put sheep on one of the fields I avoid that one.

I go on my own, but usually bump into other dog owners. I only go out in daylight, but my son sometimes goes out later and doesn't come back till dark.
  10. juliana62

juliana62 New Member

Name:
    juliana
    I usually do a village walk on my own with the dog which includes walking on a large green where we might meet other dog walkers. 2nd walk is usually with OH some where like Barbury Castle (few miles drive) or across fields in next village. Occasionally we will go further in the car. It's just over an hour to get to Brean from us for a beach walk:)
  11. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    karren and i usually take chuk, katie, and brena out behind the trailer to poop and pee. when i walk brena or katie on a longer walk, i take them up and down the small road that runs in between the trailers. we've also taken chuk and katie to a local state park. this was before we got brena, so brena has never been there yet.
  12. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    My walks vary most days but I always have 20+ acres of fields here on our door step. I try and do at least one busy road walk a week just to keep them in with the noise of traffic etc, and then visit other places just to give them a change of scenery. I have my favourite walks but those are usually the ones where we are unlikely to meet other dogs. Most the of dogs we come across on the fields here are friendly.
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I walk to my local park every day with the "sensible dog walking club" I also go to Poppy Woods, Hilly Billy farm, Thieves Woods, Carsington Water, Black Rocks, Darley Park, Markeaton Park, Elvaston Castle, Middleton Top, Tissington Trail, Dovedale & Peak District, I vary our walks from day to day.

Carsington circular walk
    Carsington%20Water%20WM.jpg

Beautiful walkways
    1196441_6916dfd3.jpg

Kobi, Skye & K9 on wall at Carsington visitor centre
    3walkieshubbard.JPG
  14. swimdog

swimdog Member

Name:
    jackie
    As I am surrounded by farmland we have lots of good walks, I go with either hubby or my daughter and grandson through woods and fields, we also have the coast just a mile away so we have lots of choice. 007.JPG 002.JPG borders 006.JPG
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I do love your dog he/she is so cute xx
  16. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Mostly I walk along the path that runs through the fields directly behind me. The path will take you all up to the woods. Don't really have a good picture of it as I rarely take the camera on that walk.

But a few times a week I try to get to a local walk, a few minutes drive down the road, to give my Missy a good run without worrying about other dogs. It's a very private and quiet area. Can count on one hand the number of dogs I've seen walked there in the past 6/7 years.

[​IMG]

Also take them to another local walk. A nature reserve and woods. Bit busier there at times.

[​IMG]

I tend to take my dogs to walks that are local to me, but more private, away from most people.

When on holidays, we've visited many lovely places for walks and beach trips too, which always brings the most joy to the dogs :)
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Well we walk where we can. We have a nice forest in the backyard that they go when it's warm enough. We do leashed road walks each day in our low traffic, calm neighborhood. We also visit the local park when we can. There are a few places that are far that was go rarely such as the lake or (with Nigredo only) the dog park downtown.

When I take Nigredo for training away from home... we head to empty lots found about the neighborhood or whatnot. Here are some piccie of where we can often be found :)

Nigredo's favorite spot... big mucky water alleys at the park. Jade hates water, no not the best spot for her
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Full shot of the park
    [​IMG]
    Backyard
    [​IMG]
    And when we can get REALLY lucky...
    [​IMG]

But have not been there since I had my previous dog... which was over a year ago.
  18. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    swimdog, 6JRT's and Azz like this.
    I just love walking late at night, Chloe and I go down a little lane past the church and there is never a soul around.
    We get to see all sorts of wildlife from owls to hedgehogs.
    When there is a full moon as there is just now it is really light and magical . It makes me think of Noyes The Highwayman...

'The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees.
    The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas.
    The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
    And the highwayman came riding—'
  19. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    we are boring as Phoebe doesnt like new walks, we have 4 that we try and swap around.
    the canal - hubby does this as it stresses me out as to many people and dogs and phoebe tries to brake in to canal boats
    Round to the football stadium - this is my walk for night time, around 10:30 pm. dont see anybody except mr fox
    the school field - day or late night (we both wear a mini torch round our necks so we can find each other. if i stay still phoebe cant find me and crys like a baby)
    cow poo field - depends on time of year and time of day as sometimes has cows, sometimes bulls, sometimes young heffers and sometimes cows and their babes. on occasion we find it empty
    have tried new walks but takes a while for her to get used to it and start to enjoy and places like the duck pond, park, forrest are out as there busy and this stresses phoebe out and therefore stresses me out
  20. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    These pictures are awesome :) and make me so jealous :p

I walk my dogs here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    how many papillons can you count? :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sometimes go with just my three and sometimes with friends.
  21. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Chloe field.jpg
    Spot the Schnauzer hiding in the grass...:D
    Picture 042.jpg