Which breed for me? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by kammi_sparky123, Dec 9, 2013.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Which breed for me?

I have done this a couple of times now I know :lol: but as circumstances have changed I am wanting to see if opinions differ at all!

I do plan to get a rescue dog so may end up with one slightly older but not too old.

At the moment I have Alfie the JRT cross, who is full of energy when out for a walk, but generally lazy in the house after a play and a bit of training. He adores other dogs.

I will be working out the house full time (or at least 4 days a week) when I buy my house (which is when I am getting the second dog). I plan to have a mix of parents going to mine to let the dogs out, me bringing the dogs to theirs, dog walker, etc etc...

Walking/exercise wise Alfie at the moment takes as much or as little as he is given. For example if I take him out for a good few hours (as we do at the weekends) then he is great, but if one day we can only have a quick 30min play at the park he is good with that too.

No children or other pets will be in the house.

My main things really....
    I want a dog that's bigger than Alfie. Doesn't have to be by a lot though! Just nothing smaller.

One that will be okay to be left for the morning, or on dog walking days, morning and then a couple of hours in the afternoon after a walk.

I won't have a mansion of a house so need it to be faaairly calm in the house, although I am more than happy for the dogs to play in the house. Also not a dog the size of a polar bear :lol:

It will need to be at least semi-calm if I am taking them to my parents twice a week or so. As much as they love dogs and have already agreed to do this, it's not hugely fair on them if I have a tornado of a dog shredding everything in its path due to energy :lol:

If all goes to plan... a good few years down the line I would like to get a puppy, so I want the new dog to be good with/very tolerant with other dogs - same goes for when I get the dog walker.

There are probably other points but I am quite tired :lol:

Just curious if any breeds specifically come to mind!
    Thanks in advance :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Name:
    nikki
    Is a cavalier or cocker too small for you?

My cavalier will take as much or as little in walks, He will quite happly sleep all day long if I let him! He loves his walks (we been known to do more than a two hour walk before and he's not tired) and is a totally mental case when out but as soon as he home he back to his calm state. I would be quite happy to leave him for a few hours as I know he will just sleep and not wreck the place. Also he rarely barks too!

Only problem is there health issues but so far Max is clear.

Toby my cocker cross cavalier is similer to Max but is more mouthy and like to play more in the house. Again he's not destructive.

I do agility with both of them so they train 1 to 2 times a week also.
  4. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    I reckon you could go down the list of breeds to suit you and still be undecided:grin: When you visit the rescue,your new dog will find you....:grin:
  5. Imana-Banana

Imana-Banana New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I am thinking along the same lines, you know what kind of size you want and a lot of behaviours will stem from you - if you have a nice quiet calm house = calmer, quieter dog, manic, busy household = manic, busy dog (general rules my forum friends not THE rule)

Over the years I have thought long and hard about breeds and types etc and yet the dogs have always come to me in some strange way and they have always been a little more than I can cope with and I have learned a lot from this (hence we now have Molly :lol: )

Worry about the breed less, stick with the size you want, pick a time and the rest will come, there are always rescues available and there will always be one that is meant for you :grin:
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Lurcher? Should be calm in the house (well, bone idle most of them). Usually plenty of them needing homes.
  7. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I thought lurcher too - there are all kinds of mixes, sizes and coats, but sighthounds usually fold up small in the house (for want of a better term!)

Another thing that maybe you could consider is a Hearing Dog trainnee that didn't make the grade for whatever reason. This means you would have a pretty thorough assessment of the dog's character and foibles and you should be starting with a sociable, happy young dog.
  8. Bobble

Bobble New Member

Name:
    Lyn
    Lacy10 has already given you the perfect answer! You will probably end up with a wonderful crossbreed!