Which breed of dog - for each type of person? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Which breed of dog - for each type of person?

Just thinking about what kind of helpful threads we can put up for anyone considering getting a dog, and I guess many wonder which type of breed would suit them.

So what kind of breeds do you think are suitable for the various types of people out there? Or what advice would you give someone who's thinking about getting a dog but doesn't really know which breed, or type of dog to go for...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    My first tip is.. if you are house proud then you probably don't want to get a dog that slobbers - and some breeds slobber a lot more than others :lol:
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    I dunno if that's true, my Boxer was a drooler and I just got used to more cleaning, it helps to have washable walls but involved no more work than the constant hoovering and grooming of my Cocker spaniel. When I say he was a drooler 2' long shoelaces interspersed with bubbles, lol very attractive. I didn't hoover the dog either, it was the tumbleweeds collecting under radiators and in corners.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Moobli, Azz and Pork1epe1 like this.
    I think you have to be completely honest with yourself and decide whether you'll readily adapt to the dogs needs or will be easily wound up by the demands on your time. Whether that be time spent exercising, training, cleaning, entertaining or just be a comfy resting place.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz and Pork1epe1 like this.
    Again agree with Trouble, not sure that's true, I am very house-proud and you cant get worse than a wet PWD..same with the Boxers slobber, you just wipe it down.

I think you need to look at your capabilities and life style, no point getting a dog that needs to be with you all the time if you work all day, or one that needs lots of exercise if you can only manage a walk round the block, size should also come into play, if you can handle a large strong dog,
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Trouble and Azz like this.
    Regarding slobber - a friend of mine who had a Boxer and a Mastiff brought them round to my house for coffee (she was having the coffee not the dogs!) and one of them tossed his head and a big dollop of slobber landed in my coffee.

I suppose it's important than you are able to cope with the exercise requirements of the dog you choose. And if you, say, have a bad back or other physical problems you may not be able to cope with a dog which needs a lot of grooming.
  8. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Azz likes this.
    Dont think all Labradoodles are hypoalergenic
    Not all will be born with Poodle coats.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I see your point @Trouble & @Jackie, so I guess it depends on the person - slobber can get everywhere, even in your coffee as per @Janet's experience :lol:

Good point @Bonni

Another tip - it may be obvious, but if you are not into long walks or other activities it is probably best not to get an active breed.
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz likes this.
    Shar-Pei don't slobber they just drip water all over the floor after they've been drinking, and Georgina has the habit of resting her wet chin on my lap. :eek: Pei, although they have short coats shed handfuls of hair no matter how much you brush them .

As for Tibetan Spaniels they're so close to the ground that the long fur on the back of their legs and tail hoovers up seeds, twigs and leaves. Chloe often comes in looking as though she's got a bird's nest stuck to her backside ... it takes me hours to pick them out!

I agree with what has already been said about exercising, training etc. I know I could never cope with some of the breeds of dogs I've owned in the past That why I'm pleased that my two are both.laid back, medium exercise dogs who like me are happy for a reasonably sedate walk or a potter around the garden. :)
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    Yeah you can find slobber on the ceiling and a flick at the wrong time can land it in your dinner :( It'll only happen once before you learn to eat in a different room from where the dog is :).
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    lol @ the bit in bold :043: have you thought about a lion cut for her :081:

That's true! Rocky's slobber was everywhere, even the ceiling :lol: and eating in front of him was a bad idea, it's like a tap would get turned on :lol:
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Do not assume that just because your current dog was a very easy puppy, house-trained in a matter of days, never went through the Kevin stage, was happy to be left...

...that the new puppy you bring home will be the same. :roll:
  14. swimdog

swimdog Member

Name:
    jackie
    Azz likes this.
    you are not kidding Azz.
  15. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    I would say if house proud dont get a double coated breed
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Trouble likes this.
    i think a list of questions you should ask your self regarding what kind of dog you want and is suitable for you and what you want from you dog. That could be helpfull.