Which breed Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by donna.b, Dec 20, 2011.

1. donna.b

donna.b New Member

Name:
    donna

Which breed

I already have 2 dogs, a collie and a rottie but would like to add another to our family, we are in no rush at all, and actually I'd rather take months choosing the right breed for us.
    A bit of info for you:
    I live with my husband and 3 children aged 8, 12 and 18 in a town house with a medium garden. I work part time I leave house about 8.30 and am home by 1.15 some days my eldest is at home depending on her college timetable, but at the most it would be just over 4 hours. I also work in a school so have lovely long holidays. My dogs I have now are absolutely fine with this.
    The new addition would obviously have to get on with other dogs and be comfortable in a busy household with lots of people coming and going.
    Grooming Is not a problem as I'm used to that now with my 2.
    Exercise wise probably 2 hours per day in 1 hour blocks then longer walks at weekends.
    2 breeds I have in mind are boxer and Labrador although these are not the only ones I would consider, these are just 2 I have looked into slightly more.
    If you want any more info let me know.
    As I said I'm in no rush and also would much prefer getting a puppy. Would breeders be adverse to me visiting them even before I had chosen them as the breeder I'd like?
    Hope I've given you enough info
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. donna.b

donna.b New Member

Name:
    donna
    Thanks for moving, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough lol
  4. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Have you or would you perhaps consider getting a staffy? They are fantastic with people and children and are incredible family dogs. There are heaps of young dogs and puppies stuck in rescues at the moment who would just love a nice home and family like yours :)
  5. donna.b

donna.b New Member

Name:
    donna
    I actually hadn't even thought of a staffy, like i said no breed is going to be a no no, I just want to find the right one for us and vice a versa.
  6. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    would you consider a rescue dog? If you arent really bothered about breed it might be a good idea, because then you can choose the dog that really comes to you rather than looking for a breed first?
  7. donna.b

donna.b New Member

Name:
    donna
    I would really much prefer a puppy. I'm just unsure of getting a dog from a rescue when I have children and other dogs. I know that they get tested whilst in rescues, but I always just have a niggling feeling what if....
    I know that's probably really wrong of me, but its how I feel and if I didn't have children then I would probably consider a rescue dog.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  8. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Cavvie? They are lovely little dogs.
  9. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    of course, completely understand. Well I still highly recommend a staff as a happy go lucky family dog :) Boxers are great too, but would need to be careful with background as they can get quite a few health problems if they dont have all the relevant DNA checks to show you.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No it is`nt, don't feel you have to defend the choices you make, if you want a well bred pup, then go for what you want.

First things first, you need to look to the temperament of your existing dogs, are they submissive, friendly with other dogs, dogs or bitches and so forth.

Being a Boxer owner, then I can recommend them to be wonderful family pets, same goes for Labs, (although I don't own one) both are active breeds, the latter being one that will mature quicker than the other, (although both can take a while) the Boxer never matures, they stay young at heart for life, they can be boisterous, destructive and some can be dog aggressive, they do suffer with health issues, so make sure (if you chose this breed) to go to a breeder that health tests.

A well bred Boxer should cost you anything from around £700 to £800/900, but make sure both parents have been tested for AS and are graded 0 or 1...........
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    P.S,,, the other issue we have in the bred is cardiomyopathy., which is being investigated at this moment, and although its early days the results are beginning to point point the lines affected.

As well we seem to have a problem recently with kidney disease , raising its ugly head, but again this is under investigated , but very early days yet. we have a member here who`s dog has been diagnosed recently.

But don't let the above put you off the breed, they are fabulous to own.
  13. donna.b

donna.b New Member

Name:
    donna
    Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to know about different breeds, think i'm going to be researching for the next 10 years lol
  14. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Do you know why this is? The BMS for Boxers is 16 so if I was looking for a Boxer I'd want the parents scored.
    My own breed has a BMS of 11 and I don't know of any dogs bred from that haven't been scored - even the puppy farmer recently banned from keeping animals hip scored all their breeding stock!
  15. donna.b

donna.b New Member

Name:
    donna
    Have definitely decided on a long haired GSD but am so confused
    New topic added lol
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Only just saw this , so sorry my reply is late in coming.

Yes I know the BMS score for Boxers, but as I said , finding a breeder in the UK who hip scores is like looking for rocking horse poo.

They will be very thin on the ground.

I remember reading an article a few yrs ago in BQ, written by one of the top breeders who also is a vet, and he said .. HD is not a sufficient concern in the breed to warrant hip scoring.

Its something I disagree with, but them if I want a Boxer then I would have to make that choice and buy from a breeder who does everything else,

You may be lucky to find one that does hip score , hopefully it will seep in with the younger breeder one day.