Which breeds have coats that change colour? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jenny, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Azz likes this.

Which breeds have coats that change colour?

Can you think of any breeds of dogs whose coat changes colour? I don't mean greying around the muzzle etc with age, but the colour actually changes from when they are a puppy to when they are adult.

Tibetan Terrier puppies will often change colour significantly. One of mine was predominantly jet black as a puppy (with a white bib and one half of his moustache white). He started becoming lighter aged about 10 months and now aged 3yrs his body is almost completely charcoal/smokey coloured ..... or grey sable. He still has black legs, muzzle and ears. One of his littermates was registered with the KC at 6 weeks old as being black and by the time he went to his new owner he was turning sable with cream hair coming through. My last little dog which was a Lhasa Apso had beautiful golden ears as a puppy and by the time she was 6 months old there was no sign of gold on her at all. My other TT hasn't changed colour at all. When buying a TT there is never a guarantee that what you see is what you'll have a year later :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Jenny likes this.
    Jenny :) a lot of breeds change coat colour as they grow..
    Salt and Pepper Minis are born almost black with a bit of grey on muzzle and legs ...
    IMG_0324.JPG

breeds with roan colouring like cockers are born with two solid colours which gradually becomes roan.
  4. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    Silky terriers change colors as do Weimreines (how do you spell that?) and I do belive Yorkies do too.
  5. dogmadannie

dogmadannie New Member

Name:
    Annie
    Jenny likes this.
    Sable GSD's can change drastically from puppy to adult, They can be born black go pale silver/ cream/ gold at around 4/5 months and as an adult can be any combination ranging from all black to very pale versions of these colours, with black tips and pale undercoats, you would be surprised at the many changes a puppy goes through and it is very hard to say what the adult dog will be..
  6. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Meg I didn't realise that Schnauzers changed that much but presumably those beautiful pups are salt and pepper ones ... so cute:).
    IceCody . I should have remembered Silkies because a neighbour had one when we first moved here many years ago and I now remember seeing photos of when he was a pup. I certainly wasn't aware that Weimaraners did:017:

My dogs littermate was actually changing from being black at 5-6 weeks old and when I saw it at 8 weeks old it had a real new growth of blonde hair so will have totally changed colour:lol:.
  7. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    It is fascinating isn't. I know about horses ie. greys being born dark etc but really was surprised about dogs, apart from the expected fading of a coat I hand't realised they could actually change colour.. Thanks.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Meg likes this.
    I know the question was about breeds and Pereg is a mutt, but look at how her colouring has changed in the last five years:

One month

[​IMG]

Five months

[​IMG]

Now

[​IMG]
  9. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    GSDs- black/tan go lighter loose the black and get more tan, most sables go darker with age
    CPs dont change a lot although born all black tan grows as they do
  10. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Jen likes this.
    A fascinating thread, and it's not something that I had considered before.

Mind you, I have had dogs that changed colour in seconds...........when rolling in something disgusting:rolleyes:
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    yorkshire terriers, born almost all black with tan patches over eyes, soon have a tan head with black body then the body turns grey/blue
  12. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Meg likes this.
    heres cleo at 8 weeks and again at 15 (sadly lost her a month ago) 155.JPG 555745_10150955290031316_1111337156_n.jpg
  13. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Malka and Bitkin like this.
    I don't know why I was surprised by change in colour now:) Malka, Pereg has changed incredibly .... just as beautiful of course.
    I assume the only coat colour that doesn't change so much is white.
    Sweet photos of little Cleo and what a difference from puppyhood to adulthood too:049:

Thanks for all the comments and Bitkin my Rucksack like Jimmy can change colour within seconds too:043::043:
  14. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    I don´t know if it counts but Desty was born with a white star on her forehead that has disapeared by now.
  15. Jen

Jen New Member

Name:
    Jen
    Meg likes this.
    Bandit's Black and Tan changed with the black receding and the tan becoming more dominant.

Baby Bandit (7 weeks ish)
    [​IMG]

This one was only a couple of weeks later -

[​IMG]

And now -

[​IMG]
  16. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the photos everyone, there's some quite noticeable changes there - I will try to find some Rocky pics to see how he changed too (again I think the black on his face got less prominent over time).