why do staffies always have warts? Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by jossrocker, Nov 14, 2008.

1. jossrocker

jossrocker New Member

Name:
    jo

why do staffies always have warts?

This has intrigued me for ages! I have always wondered why they have them, but im just strange that way!! ;-)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    :shock: Mine hasn't got any warts:?
  4. jossrocker

jossrocker New Member

Name:
    jo
    I dont know if they are warts as such just lumps on the face. nearly every staffie ive met has them and usually in the same places ( just under the mouth or 'cheeks'). just a genetic thing i think.
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    He hasn't got those either, he sometimes gets the odd lump if he's been doing too much face chomping with one of the others but it goes again very quickly.
  6. jossrocker

jossrocker New Member

Name:
    jo
    there not really very prominent on my dog but on my mother in laws staffie and also my friends they stick out quite alot. they do have whiskers coming out of them, maybe there just hair folicles?
  7. Sez & Amber

Sez & Amber New Member

Name:
    Sez
    Our bull lurcher bitch (we believe she's part staff) has one under her chin with a whisker coming out of it.

I seem to recall my JRT bitch having something similar under her chin as well :017:
  8. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    The things i think you are talking about are the hair lumpy things where whiskers come out. But they aren't worts and all dogs have them, they are just more noticable in short haired dogs.
  9. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    :lol: like a hairy mole? :? The Dobermanns have one either side of their chops about an inch or so back from where their mouth ends. Diesel has those too but I had to search for his they are tiny and a lot less noticable than the Dobies. Definately no warts though I've just inspected him all over:lol:
  10. jossrocker

jossrocker New Member

Name:
    jo
    yes mole is the better word for it! :lol:
  11. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Yup both Ben and Mia have them, beside mouth and under chin (looks like a catfish with the hairs)
  12. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    If we're talking about the ones I think we are they are called tactile hairs.
    Tactile hairs are the sensory hairs and are primarily found as whiskers and stiff hairs on the eyebrows, chin and sides of the face.
  13. gonchie

gonchie New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Sally does too, one under her chin and one on either cheek, she's part staffie. I agree hairy mole is probably an accurate descripiton.
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have 5 Staffords and none of them have anything remotely like the lumps described above.
  15. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    I knew there would be a proper name for them! Thank you Trouble!