Why do things always go wrong... General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Why do things always go wrong...

...at the wrong time?

A new water container was put on my water m/c this morning and something must have been wrong with the valve, because instead of the water staying in the container until one of the taps was opened, the water just poured into the base and spewed out all over the floor. All 19 litres of it.

And it blew the electricity. Just switching off the fuse from which the water m/c runs off would have given me power everywhere except where the socket where the m/c plugs in, but that socket also feeds my fridge/freezer and my big upright freezer and I really did not fancy them being off for any length of time. so after a struggle to get to the socket, unplug it [sockets here do not have separate on/off switches so it had to be unplugged], then switch the main fuse back on, I now have power again.

And a flooded kitchen.

Luckily I always have some bottles of water for emergencies, and going without my coffee will not be the end of the world until I can get hold of Mei Eden and they can get a techie here to change the m/c [and refund me for the 19 litres of lost water] but if something is going to go wrong, why does it always have to happen on a Shabbat?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh Juli, how do you cope? How many towels did it take to soak up 19 litres of water?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    That is something I ask myself about twenty times a day! Actually it was the thought of not having any a/c that spurred me on - plus trying to keep Tikki away from the water while I was desperately trying not to slip in it. Had it not been Shabbat I would have been able to yell for help.

Actually, even though the container emptied itself a lot of the water went into the reservoir in the m/c itself - I have not been having any hot drinks lately as I burned my lip on coffee that was too hot so it blistered, and I tend to drink much more cold drinks in the summer in any case, so the container does not get replaced until the reservoir is almost empty. So maybe only half spilled onto the floor, the towels went into the washing m/c and then dryer so it could have been worse, and at least the floor got a good clean!

It was only water after all - not as bad as the litre bottle of EVOO I dropped the other week...

I will ask the Ninja to deal with Mei Eden as I can never get through to them - their menu when telephoning is totally incomprehensible to me, with their "if you want this press 1, is you want that press something else" etc - with automatic sales pitches and muzak in between each attempt to get through to a human.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    [​IMG] Ninja got through to Mei Eden and a techie has just been to sort things. He checked the new bottle that had emptied itself and apparently there was a minute crack at the base which would not have caused any leakage while it was on the truck on on the rack in here, as the containers are on their sides in both. But once the bottle was put on the m/c air got into the container and the water just poured into the m/c even though the taps were closed.

And once the reservoir in the m/c had filled it the rest of the water just kept pouring out over the top of it - blowing the electricity in the process because of the water that had poured down the back.

At least that is the gist of what he said - believe me Israelis speak at double-time at the best of times, and when wearing a facemask so I was not even able to lip-read, that is just about all I understood!

Anyhow, there is a fresh container on the m/c now - which he plugged in while I kept well out of the way just in case......and much to my relief the power did not blow. PHEW!